Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"Portable" Warframe

DracoRiff

Question

So, I saw someone play warframe on a school desktop. I don't know how they did it because I've tried installing from steam, installing steam on my external HDD and it will always try to install directX which requires administrator privileges. Verifying cache certainly doesn't work and it doesn't help that warframe's launcher is such a mess. For reference, we can play Overwatch just by copying and pasting the battlenet folder and installing the game. I've searched numerous threads that have yielded me no results on how the directX installation works or how I can try to install that on my HDD. I'm very intrigued as to how that person got it working (I didn't think to ask because I thought it'd be a simple process) and have been scratching my head for several days over this issue. I'm stumped.

It also seems the general opinion in the forums here is that we aren't allowed admin privileges for a reason. I'd just like to point out beforehand that I study in a games design course and we are allowed to install games. Only warframe poses such a problem because of directX. Any other game we can just open steam (pre-installed on school desktops) and download it for reference.

19 answers to this question

Contact your teacher. I wish I was able to do that in high school or any school in general. 

I'm sure your teacher wouldn't mind, he/she would just use their admin privileges and from then on you'd know what to do.

Don't get caught playing Warframe instead of doing your work though. Fair warning.

I'm not exactly sure. One of my friends, @Shadow, played Warframe on a crappy library computer for several months before I bought him a gaming laptop. One of his friends had hacked into it and disabled the admin regulations on it, so he was able to download Warframe; only issue was, he had to re-download it every day that he went, and it would usually BSOD on him once or twice a day. I consider that some raw dedication.

Perhaps the person at your school did the same to the computer they use. It's not that hard to tap into if you know what you're doing.

Just now, (Xbox One)Ginger Bruhv said:

Contact your teacher. I wish I was able to do that in high school or any school in general. 

I'm sure your teacher wouldn't mind, he/she would just use their admin privileges and from then on you'd know what to do.

Don't get caught playing Warframe instead of doing your work though. Fair warning.

I wish I could say that. Lots of people play games during a lecture and the teachers don't even know. I think it's quite disrespectful and don't do such a thing but they get away with it all the time. It's a bit far fetched to ask for admin privileges when 90% of the games work fine so I'm looking to see if there are ways around directX since I already have the game itself on my HDD.

6 minutes ago, Telluric said:

I'm not exactly sure. One of my friends, @Shadow, played Warframe on a crappy library computer for several months before I bought him a gaming laptop. One of his friends had hacked into it and disabled the admin regulations on it, so he was able to download Warframe; only issue was, he had to re-download it every day that he went, and it would usually BSOD on him once or twice a day. I consider that some raw dedication.

Perhaps the person at your school did the same to the computer they use. It's not that hard to tap into if you know what you're doing.

Hm, I'd rather not mess with admin :/ It could be the reason that guy got it to work though. Guess I may have to stick with lugging my laptop to school ugh.

1 minute ago, xXDeadsinxX said:

I have tried to download steam from school and it never works, it will always pop with with a admin code which sucks. Never tried downloading just Warframe itself though, but it might be the same thing. 

Nah, our school desktops all have steam pre-installed because we do game design and need to play games for references all the time.

I'd consider switching off your directx 10 and 11, letting it update then backing up your warframe.

This is what you're looking for to backup and transfer between computers:

I only suggest turning off Dx10 + Dx11 because your school computer should at least have that installed on it so you shouldn't have to install any additional components

Every once in a while I will convert to steam from stand alone so I can check out the tennogen. The steps this fella posted long time ago work pretty well, most of the time you won't need to do anything in regedit as it would make the reg entery when running the game once.

Mm, I almost forgot to add that I've never had to reinstall steam as mentioned in that thread, I've just had to do the tricks he suggested changing the flags. But with steam closed.

Edited by Alcatraz

9 minutes ago, CherryPauper said:

On a side note, why do you have school-designated laptops? Are they optional? My conspiracy theory senses are tingling. I certainly wouldn't allow my child to bring that into my home.

We do not have school-designated laptops. o.o

1 hour ago, Alcatraz said:

I'd consider switching off your directx 10 and 11, letting it update then backing up your warframe.

This is what you're looking for to backup and transfer between computers:

I only suggest turning off Dx10 + Dx11 because your school computer should at least have that installed on it so you shouldn't have to install any additional components

Every once in a while I will convert to steam from stand alone so I can check out the tennogen. The steps this fella posted long time ago work pretty well, most of the time you won't need to do anything in regedit as it would make the reg entery when running the game once.

Mm, I almost forgot to add that I've never had to reinstall steam as mentioned in that thread, I've just had to do the tricks he suggested changing the flags. But with steam closed.

Thanks for the reply, though I have already followed this person's guide and it does not deal with the directX issue. I'm sure the school computers already have directX since they can run a ton of different games but only the warframe launcher forces it to install. I also have regedit files but I'm not too sure what they accomplish in regards to directX. But I will try switching off directX 10/11 and see if that helps.I never reinstalled steam either X)

EDIT: it was already off

Edited by DracoRiff

1 hour ago, DracoRiff said:

I wish I could say that. Lots of people play games during a lecture and the teachers don't even know. I think it's quite disrespectful and don't do such a thing but they get away with it all the time. It's a bit far fetched to ask for admin privileges when 90% of the games work fine so I'm looking to see if there are ways around directX since I already have the game itself on my HDD.

I feel like if the class directly correlates to gaming, he/she would allow it. I'd honestly try asking. It's worth a shot. Good luck though, it would be a great time to play through class.

5 hours ago, Sapphic-Sandra said:

Just ask the professor and/or contact the IT department.

Why is bringing the laptop is such an issue unless I guess desk space is limited? I walk around a mile to class across my university campus in six inch heels lugging my old bulky dell laptop. XD

Because my laptop, in combination with the power brick, weighs 5.8kg...

7 hours ago, (Xbox One)Ginger Bruhv said:

I feel like if the class directly correlates to gaming, he/she would allow it. I'd honestly try asking. It's worth a shot. Good luck though, it would be a great time to play through class.

Our teachers don't have admin tho. Even they have to approach IT support for these matters haha!