The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Prerendered Cinematic?

VectorWolf

I was just watching Destiny 2 trailer, and I was wondering. Why Warframe has not one prerendered cinematic? There are tons less known and successful F2P games that have them, yet Warframe has none?

I mean it's not big deal for those that play it already, although Lotus knows it would be sweet to see some good action, but it brings people into the game. I can't count how many times I got pumped for a game after watching cinematic trailer. Even if I finally didn't bought it, as the game itself wasn't my thing, I talked about it enough to bring someone on board.

Prime frame trailers don't count as those are in engine.

Just now, NeithanDiniem said:

What if we told you they were all pre-rendered anyways using unique lighting, FX, animations, and assets utilizing the engine as the medium for them to be rendered in?

I would say that's a very reasonable but not necessarily correct conclusion.

Just now, Mcl_BlueMadness said:

I would say that's a very reasonable but not necessarily correct conclusion.

Pre-rendered: the process in which video footage is not rendered in real-time by the hardware that is outputting or playing back the video. Instead, the video is a recording of footage that was previously rendered on different equipment (typically one that is more powerful than the hardware used for playback).

None of those trailers were rendered live (as they are in-game in The Second Dream and The War Within). Those are all pre-rendered.

He is talking about flat CGI Cutscenes I think, no in game resources used and nothing done in engine. Think like old Final Fantasty CGI scenes compared to what the games usually look like.

Pre-rendered just means it's not running on your hardware it's just a video, so technically what Warframe has already done are Pre-Rendered Cutscenes by definition. They were done in engine though.

Edited by Echorion

Why? Especially the latest PA cinematics, they fit much more with Warframe, and it is pretty cool that everything you see in a Warframe trailer you are able to do in game more or less. If anything the Warframe cinematic trailers are some of the most truthful I have ever seen when it comes to representing gameplay.

3 minutes ago, DrBorris said:

everything you see in a Warframe trailer you are able to do in game more or less. If anything the Warframe cinematic trailers are some of the most truthful I have ever seen when it comes to representing gameplay.

Much much more on the "Less" side, but yeah still it is better at representing the game itself which is what they are for.

CGI Is better for delivering a much more specific visual story; and while Warframe does have it's own lore and everything- I don't see it getting a huge budget visual production of any kind any time soon. It's a multiplayer game and they are more focused around that.

Edited by Echorion

Quite a few games now use in-game assets for CGI simply because the in-game assets are of high enough quality to work for CGI. Many others skip the CGI process because the engine itself is good enough for rendering top quality scenes in. Other times a company would decide not to use CGI because it doesn't actually show off what the game will look like. You can often watch a CGI and then when you get to the actual game it is nowhere even close to the same quality, effectively making the CGI lie to you about the game you were before quite interested in playing. Lastly, making a CGI with film-quality assets is a huge undertaking (I should know, I've helped work on a few) and companies could simply not see the point.

2 minutes ago, NeithanDiniem said:

Pre-rendered: the process in which video footage is not rendered in real-time by the hardware that is outputting or playing back the video. Instead, the video is a recording of footage that was previously rendered on different equipment (typically one that is more powerful than the hardware used for playback).

None of those trailers were rendered live (as they are in-game in The Second Dream and The War Within). Those are all pre-rendered.

I know what pre-rendered means. Unless you mean it's pre-rendered just by virtue of it being on YouTube - in which case, sure.

But I assure you the engine renders those in real-time. I've seen Steve fiddling with the Banshee Prime Access trailer, and was rather impressed with that.

1 minute ago, Mcl_BlueMadness said:

I know what pre-rendered means. Unless you mean it's pre-rendered just by virtue of it being on YouTube - in which case, sure.

But I assure you the engine renders those in real-time. I've seen Steve fiddling with the Banshee Prime Access trailer, and was rather impressed with that.

Then you can see why DE has to reason to shell out additional time and effort into making the entire scene in a different system to pull off the same exact look they can do with their own engine. They don't need CGIs when their own engine is capable of pulling off rendering out a video that displays all assets in the same quality of the game itself, which as it is now is very good quality. And yes, they are considered pre-rendered since they are not being rendered on your own computer like the ones you experience in TWW and TSD are. Should DE ever release the trailers as some kind of easter egg login scene thing (like we have with the memory leak test thing released a while ago) where they then are rendered on your own computer, that would not be a pre-rendered version.

I am unclear

• where specifically you think the game needs more cinematics and
  • why pre-rendering them (at enormous costs in disk space and delivery bandwidth) would make them superior to what DE's artists and animators already produce

I honestly like that the trailers are all made in engine. I show friends some of the trailers (prime access especially), and say "That's not bullshots, those are things you can do in the game, that's how you can move."

9 minutes ago, NeithanDiniem said:

Then you can see why DE has to reason to shell out additional time and effort into making the entire scene in a different system to pull off the same exact look they can do with their own engine. They don't need CGIs when their own engine is capable of pulling off rendering out a video that displays all assets in the same quality of the game itself, which as it is now is very good quality. And yes, they are considered pre-rendered since they are not being rendered on your own computer like the ones you experience in TWW and TSD are. Should DE ever release the trailers as some kind of easter egg login scene thing (like we have with the memory leak test thing released a while ago) where they then are rendered on your own computer, that would not be a pre-rendered version.

Exactly, Warframe doesn't need any kind of CGI trailers and the like, when even the engine's real-time rendering already looks this good. It actually kind of baffles me the way OP talks like pre-rendered CGI is inherently better than what DE has done, and that this is why Warframe should have one - when I'd argue it's actually quite the opposite.