Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

No More Prime/vandal Weapons

Lumireaver

You can change the color of skins.

Not what I meant by different color loadouts.

With the current Braton - Braton Prime system, for instance, I can have a snazzy black Braton with red lights as well as the standard Orokin white and gold without having to switch colors manually, since they're different guns. Each gun holds its own color data independently. If I want my black Braton, I can pull it out and go to town. If I want gold Orokin-era bling, I just have to select the prime in my inventory and away I go.

Turning them into skins means that if you want to change the colors, you have to do it manually every time. See: Scindo/Dagger Axe Scindo for an example of what I mean. The skin uses whatever colors you selected for the base gun. This means that every time I wanted to switch between Braton Prime and Normal Braton colors, I'd have to switch them by hand every time. And that's a fair bit of work.

This also applies to mods. Braton Prime and the Normal Braton in my builds usually use different mods - My BP has a speed trigger to make up for its ROF deficiency vis a vis Standard Braton, for instance. Making BP a skin would mean that every time I wanted to switch between the two, I'd have to mess around and juggle mods since while there's some overlap.

And when you upgrade you have to level the weapons again with mastery xp. It's all the same and everyone wins.

Okay, that's fair. Except for the other issues I raised.

And in the end, these prime weapons are just reskinned versions of currently available weapons and NOT unique weapons.

They have different stats, different sounds, and different models. Frankly, the only thing they have in common with normal guns is the name and some vague design elements. I mean, if we called Latron Prime, say, "Murdertron Prime", would you still call it a Latron reskin? I doubt it.

Edited by Cpl_Facehugger

IF that even happen. Then i'll switch. i don't mind loosing that potato and 2 forma. 

So you agree that your former weapon is obsolete. Where did the "You own godly forma-ed weapon is still good enough." go?

Still no good reasons why this is an issue.  Skins are for making Hek look like the barrels are made of polish sausages with bacon wrapped around them and a handgrip made of cheese (read: aesthetics).

The issue? Craft a Snipetron (yes, the normal one). Or any non-prime non-vandal weapon, but Snipetron is the most obvious. Then potato it, and forma it a few.

They have different stats, different sounds, and different models. Frankly, the only thing they have in common with normal guns is the name and some vague design elements. I mean, if we called Latron Prime, say, "Murdertron Prime", would you still call it a Latron reskin? I doubt it.

You mean what people are calling the Reaper Prime now?

Edited by zyraconne

Not what I meant by different color loadouts.

With the current Braton - Braton Prime system, for instance, I can have a snazzy black Braton with red lights as well as the standard Orokin white and gold without having to switch colors manually, since they're different guns. Each gun holds its own color data independently. If I want my black Braton, I can pull it out and go to town. If I want gold Orokin-era bling, I just have to select the prime in my inventory and away I go.

Turning them into skins means that if you want to change the colors, you have to do it manually every time. See: Scindo/Dagger Axe Scindo for an example of what I mean. The skin uses whatever colors you selected for the base gun. This means that every time I wanted to switch between Braton Prime and Normal Braton colors, I'd have to switch them by hand every time. And that's a fair bit of work.

This also applies to mods. Braton Prime and the Normal Braton in my builds usually use different mods - My BP has a speed trigger to make up for its ROF deficiency vis a vis Standard Braton, for instance. Making BP a skin would mean that every time I wanted to switch between the two, I'd have to mess around and juggle mods since while there's some overlap.

Okay, that's fair. Except for the other issues I raised.

Not having to add another catalyst and forma to the same weapon with only a minimal difference i stats far outweighs color loud outs. You shouldn't feel the need to supercharge the same weapon(with minor stat boost) and prettier look just so it can be on par with the original. you'd want to use the original in high level missions just putting away the prettier prime weapon when you can just take it with you if you upgraded the original into a prime.

Murdertron prime sounds like reskinned like name for a reskinned weapon with a minor boost in stats. In the end, skins do the same thing except rename...

Don't see why there has to be two of the same guns. It would be better to further customize and improve the original via upgrade to prime or reskin than to use another catalyst/forma on the same weapon with minor stat difference. This game needs more customization and the game needs a clever use of the skin system and a prime upgrade system that allows you to keep the original skin and the ability to save color schemes of each skin as well as weapon/warframe mod loud out.

There is a way everyone can get what they want, you just have to figure it out.

It honestly makes sense for someone to take apart his weapon and give it a different look, tweak it to give it better stats which could be minor or in warframe's case, upgrade the weapon and give the upgrade a fancy name that would make sense of the whole process or link the prime with the original using orokin technology so they share the catalyst/polarity and of course the weapons being linked must be very similar.

And to acquire the tool needed to do this you'd have to acquire the blueprint to build the tool to do this. this tool could be one item for everything similar to catalyst or blueprints with the weapon name on it followed by prime. "Orthos Prime Orokin Charger" or "Orokin Charger".

Whatever you want from this current system maybe possible to keep in current system, you just have to think. With upgrade, you'll see the prime weapon in inventory instead of the old one, but the old skin would still be available. With link, you'll still see both weapons in inventory.

The Orokin Charge can always be available in cash shop if needed but would still have a really good drop rate as do the current prime blueprints.

This way everyone gets what they want especially the the ones that get to have their catalyst/forma carry over to the prime variants of said weapons.

Then they can start to work on unique orokin weapons and warframes and not think too much about Prime reskins. Customization is key so let the old weapons shine as bright as gold rather than get shiny new golden weapons that are merely the same weapon covered in gold with minor stat boost.

OR 

Giving old weapons more purpose with linking them to their golden counterparts for shared usage of supercharge and polarities. It's the right thing to do.

Edited by XDeathCoreX

Not having to add another catalyst and forma to the same weapon with only a minimal difference i stats far outweighs color loud outs. You shouldn't feel the need to supercharge the same weapon(with minor stat boost) and prettier look just so it can be on par with the original. you'd want to use the original in high level missions just putting away the prettier prime weapon when you can just take it with you if you upgraded the original into a prime.

From DE's perspective, though, having to supercharge the prime weapon again is a good thing, because it means more potatos being purchased.

From a player perspective, I don't mind it either, because it keeps potatos and forma from building up in my inventory.

Murdertron prime sounds like reskinned like name for a reskinned weapon with a minor boost in stats. In the end, skins do the same thing except rename...

Okay, fine. Call it "Designated Marksman Rifle" or something else that's generic and completely un-Tenno. The point is that the name is the only thing that really identifies prime weapons as variants of standard ones is the name and arguably a basic shape.

Don't see why there has to be two of the same guns. It would be better to further customize and improve the original via upgrade to prime or reskin than to use another catalyst/forma on the same weapon with minor stat difference. This game needs more customization and the game needs a clever use of the skin system and a prime upgrade system that allows you to keep the original skin and the ability to save color schemes of each skin as well as weapon/warframe mod loud out.

So now not only are we messing with code to change the skins around, we're messing with code to add savable color schemes on a per-skin basis as well as loadouts? Talk about a lot of work for DE. All to solve... What? You guys still haven't given a good problem this measure is meant to solve, beyond "there aren't enough skins", but that could be better solved by... Making new skins, rather than turning weapons that people already have into mere skins.

There is a way everyone can get what they want, you just have to figure it out.

But why should the people whining about "wasting" forma and potatos get what they want at all? Their complaints are baseless and catering to them only serves to drag down the game and hurt DE's bottom line by reducing potato and forma sales.

It honestly makes sense for someone to take apart his weapon and give it a different look, tweak it to give it better stats which could be minor or in warframe's case, upgrade the weapon and give the upgrade a fancy name that would make sense of the whole process or link the prime with the original using orokin technology so they share the catalyst/polarity and of course the weapons being linked must be very similar.

Requires coding up a whole new upgrade system though, since currently potatos and nonstandard polarities aren't retained when using weapons as part of recipes.

Personally, I would rather have those coders working on bugfixes and new content, rather than trying to fix something that isn't a problem purely to assuage some guys who are upset at how their forma'd latron is rendered "obsolete" by five extra damage.

And to acquire the tool needed to do this you'd have to acquire the blueprint to build the tool to do this. this tool could be one item for everything similar to catalyst or blueprints with the weapon name on it followed by prime. "Orthos Prime Orokin Charger" or "Orokin Charger".

Adding even more grind to the game? What's the point when you could spend that time grinding for forma?

Whatever you want from this current system maybe possible to keep in current system, you just have to think. With upgrade, you'll see the prime weapon in inventory instead of the old one, but the old skin would still be available. With link, you'll still see both weapons in inventory.

Except all of these things requires more work on DE's part.

This way everyone gets what they want especially the the ones that get to have their catalyst/forma carry over to the prime variants of said weapons.

Then they can start to work on unique orokin weapons and warframes and not think too much about Prime reskins. Customization is key so let the old weapons shine as bright as gold rather than get shiny new golden weapons that are merely the same weapon covered in gold with minor stat boost.

Again though, why should prime weapons be those customizations? Lorewise it makes little sense. Playerwise, primes have since the start of the founder's program been straight upgrades that take up different slots and provide their own mastery. They've never been skins even in the beginning, even though DE surely could have made them so if they wanted.

Giving old weapons more purpose with linking them to their golden counterparts for shared usage of supercharge and polarities.

It's not giving old weapons more purpose though. The weapons themselves are still staying in the inventory unused. It's just now that if you potato'd and forma'd them, you don't have to potato and forma your prime weapon. Which is harmful to DE's bottom line, since I'm fairly sure that potatos and forma are two of the major things bought with plat.

It would be solved by making prime future prime variants skins and changing current blueprints to prime skin blueprints while not removing made prime weapons at all.

Primes are just reskins of old weapons which is like having two bosses which pretty much the same, but different looking attacks and the bosses may even look different.

There is a skin system, wouldn't it be convenient to actually save skin colors as well. Even a load out system that saves what mods are equipped to a weapon would be convenient or weapons sharing mods or simply making it easier to track down mods you've upgraded.

How are their complaints baseless(unless it's about having weapons made useless by prime). They are most likely paying customers who've used so much forma and a catalyst only for a prettier version to be released, yet they would have to do all that leveling and using another catalyst just to bring it up to par with the old one and be useful late in the game when they could instead combine the two and relevel it and still keep the perks and the original skin. It would be nice to take that old Braton, give it new life with a fresh new look and not have it sit there collecting dust while you relevel, supercharge and polarize the same but prettier weapon with minor stat boost which skins are for. Should not even be necessary to do that all over again to bring weapon up to par when there is a skin system in place. It all looks like a cash grab scheme when there is an underused skin system in place.

Well, the devs in a livestream mentioned an upgrade system for prime variants. this could apply to both weapons and warframes and they are looking into this. A skin would be easier or the link system i mentioned.

What's the difference between grinding for weapons and grinding for their prime skin or upgrade  blueprints. You can however just scrap all them weapon blueprints for one Orokin Charger blueprint to upgrade weapons to their prime(reskinned) counterparts.

Well, it's either link or upgrade or skins. One of those three can be done and upgrade was mentioned by the dev team.

The dev team continues to make changes. they even changed the mod system. These change would be cakewalk compared to that. The mod system had always been a grid like system since beginning. Why they change that? And lore wise, you are building prime weapons using blueprints, why build a new version of the same weapon when you can modify the old one, fix it and turn it into a prime weapon. That's what a smart person would do. upgrade can also work in a similar way or perhaps the link system using orokin technology. Primes are perfect for that added customization. Who wouldn't love to turn their old weapon into a prize worth looking at wrapped in gold and color parts in white?

Well, with Vors shop coming up, you can sell your mods for plat. The dev team can get i on that. There are plenty of wways to make money especially from clans and new warframes,etc. They mentioned that upgrade system to primes. if they are clever, they shall find more ways to get cash and this Vor shop is just one of those ways. Heck, they even mentioned free inventory slots based on mastery rank. 

Although if prime weapons don't require mastery, I don't see why they should if they become skins that you have to get the same way you get bluepoints now and the same stuff needed to make it.

And FYI: They don't need to remove current prime weapons just like how everyone kept prime skins and if people whine about the original prime weapons then the upgrade system can give them the prime weapons with the old weapon skin or that link system or they just need to get over themselves.

And if that were truly an issue then only future prime weapons can be skins or upgrades(relevel weapons with getting mastery xp) or can be linked to original to share goods so everyone wins and the devs still get paid because catalyst and forma aren't the only things to buy and the orokin charger i mentioned can always be sold in cash shop. No one loses.

Edited by XDeathCoreX

You made me realize skins are existent and they can do numerous amount of things.

Truly, that is amazing and "work" able.

Skins would be an add-on for any player with such- specially since warframe LOVES to give people Choices of what they want.

Such as the current style of.

Paris

And Paris Prime

New skin

+dmg

-certain something else.

Hopefully, the SKINS can "code" or maneuvered that way.

So yes :D~

Edited by Renkai141

Not sold. After reading more of this thread. No one has yet to convince me. I see a lot of 'well they should be skins!' pretty much only backed up by 'because there is a skin system!'

Brokk and Manticore are essentially Grineer recreations of the Tenno weapons, as far as I'm concerned. So it makes sense they get skins. Tenno weapon being converted by the Grineer. The Dagger Axe whatevers are true skins, and I would be happy to have skins like that for every weapons. Now, due to this mindset, having the Prime's be skins of the original weapon is completely backwards. The orokin didn't remake the Tenno weapons, the Tenno remade the Orokin weapons.

Vandals are the only exception to this, but that's excusable because they are meant to be exclusive weapons. A 'I was here for ____' kinda thing.

@Deathcore. Somewhere in your massive wall of a post (the most recent one), I saw something about 'we are building orokin weapons from blueprints.' Here's the thing, with the only exception being Frost Prime, NONE of the Prime items that you build are built using materials. They are always built from 'parts,' pieces of the weapon you happen to find. Also, just because you have the recipe doesn't mean you can make the same cake from home. What if you don't have super rubedo, you only have plain rubedo? I'm sure the cake won't mind, but it won't have that same kick. See what I mean?

So you agree that your former weapon is obsolete. Where did the "You own godly forma-ed weapon is still good enough." go?

Well If scindo prime is that good. It just make all other melee weapon useless as well. Then that is not a problem with prime/vandal. Its a problem on DE weapon design. 

Not sold. After reading more of this thread. No one has yet to convince me. I see a lot of 'well they should be skins!' pretty much only backed up by 'because there is a skin system!'

Brokk and Manticore are essentially Grineer recreations of the Tenno weapons, as far as I'm concerned. So it makes sense they get skins. Tenno weapon being converted by the Grineer. The Dagger Axe whatevers are true skins, and I would be happy to have skins like that for every weapons. Now, due to this mindset, having the Prime's be skins of the original weapon is completely backwards. The orokin didn't remake the Tenno weapons, the Tenno remade the Orokin weapons.

Vandals are the only exception to this, but that's excusable because they are meant to be exclusive weapons. A 'I was here for ____' kinda thing.

@Deathcore. Somewhere in your massive wall of a post (the most recent one), I saw something about 'we are building orokin weapons from blueprints.' Here's the thing, with the only exception being Frost Prime, NONE of the Prime items that you build are built using materials. They are always built from 'parts,' pieces of the weapon you happen to find. Also, just because you have the recipe doesn't mean you can make the same cake from home. What if you don't have super rubedo, you only have plain rubedo? I'm sure the cake won't mind, but it won't have that same kick. See what I mean?

Applies to Frost prime as well. And you can use those weapon pieces to further improve your Braton. Think Borderlands here or any gun customization game. Need to have an open mind especially in a game with "Space Ninjas".

And these Prime weapons are just prime creations of the same weapons with a slight stat boost. Just reskins. Open your mind.

Catalysts and Forma should carry over to them from the original and that's the issue.

Edited by XDeathCoreX

I really have a inventory slots/potato/forma concern about these prime/vandal versions of weapons and frames.

I gave money to DE, and will give more. I bought potatoes, slots, and will buy more.

What i dont like is "base" weapons are obsolete when those upgraded versions appear. Difficulty to obtain and craft is not the issue. Just i begin to think i wont potato/forma market wpns just because a superior version will be released in 1 month.

The argument about the rank and affinity is invalid, as the rank 7 can be achieved easily without need to level so many wpns and frames. And there is no interest (right now) to need better than 7.

As ppl that dont understand why people would like a skin system, i dont understand why other dont want. It's all benefits, the only drawback is the rank experience. that is not needed.

Also, from DE's perspective, slots. Which people have to pay for.

For the umptillionth time, Prime/Vandal skins effectively make people hold on to their base weapons (since they would no longer be rendered obsolete), which means those slots would be occupied longer. (More incentive to own everything since everything might see up/sidegrades down the line...) People would buy new slots to carry new weapons instead of selling the MK1 to upgrade to the stock Braton, or a Braton Prime.

If you don't mind my saying, you're a bit hung up on keeping everything the way it is even though it's underutilized and unfinished. By the time the Arsenal UI is changed, the "skins" button could be renamed into a "models" button and suddenly everything would be perfectly justified. 

In the end, in a mission, you'll be holding the golden gun. Does not matter what's underneath. Wether you turned it into prime or made a prime. is all the same except leveling which can be implemented via a upgrade system(instead of skin) that Orokin Charges or Megacharges the weapon, paints it gold and makes it rank 0 to be leveled again just like the Forma system.

Don't see much work in that and you can keep the old weapon skin and color schemes saves for each skin just like for each warframe and armor which it should have done from the start.

+1 I agree. I held off getting the Latron because the Latron Prime came out. I've stopped forma'ing my Boltor as that will most likely be made a prime. Do I try out the fang or bronco, not really, but I will try and get the prime versions. As soon as I get the Braton Prime, my Braton will get sold, as I did with the MK-1 when I got the Braton.

It is a stupid system atm.

And the whole arguement of mastery points is pointless as there is no need to go past rank 7 atm. Plus there are so many ways that we could earn mastery points, e.g. you get X amount of points when you defeat Y boss for the first time, or you get X amount for participating in an event, or clearing all missions on a planet...etc, etc.

My main reason for wanting a system like this is not 'because there is a skin system in place' but because I've invested x amount of time in certain weapons, and it is just nuts they can be made obsolete just like that.

For people worrying about the exclusive stuff, well, it just stays that, exclusive, only it becomes a 'skin' or 'refit'  or whatever it could be named.

If DE are concerned of loss of income from people buying less plat for spuds, formas or slots, then reduce the exp gain so affinity boosters become more important (would fit much better with a F2P model anyway).

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the matter.

So assuming primes/vandals are turned into skins, my braton vandal skin is still going to suck. This also makes me wonder what's going to be done about my mastery points that I earned through using these weapons. It's really going to suck for the people that haven't hit that desired rank when a lot of weapons are going to be turned into skins. I'm personally kind of against this happening, can equally screw over a lot of players by trying to put in this skin system so late in development. Not to mention the massive amount of work you're going to be doing getting these prime weapons just for  your gun to look cooler.  Lose more weapons to gain mastery points with. So if I were DE I would think about this really carefully cause it can very easily end up bad. I'm trying to farm for paris prime right now but I might give that up if these weapons turn into cheap skins. Personally, I think DE shot themselves in the foot not placing this at the start. I wouldn't have such a problem with it if something like this was put in during the earlier parts of development. 

Edited by TheDoctah

For the umptillionth time, Prime/Vandal skins effectively make people hold on to their base weapons (since they would no longer be rendered obsolete), which means those slots would be occupied longer. (More incentive to own everything since everything might see up/sidegrades down the line...) People would buy new slots to carry new weapons instead of selling the MK1 to upgrade to the stock Braton, or a Braton Prime.

If you don't mind my saying, you're a bit hung up on keeping everything the way it is even though it's underutilized and unfinished. By the time the Arsenal UI is changed, the "skins" button could be renamed into a "models" button and suddenly everything would be perfectly justified. 

No they wouldn't. It'd reduce the amount of slots people would buy because one slot can hold two or three weapons. That's at leat cutting the amount of slots people buy in half.

No they wouldn't. It'd reduce the amount of slots people would buy because one slot can hold two or three weapons. That's at leat cutting the amount of slots people buy in half.

Which they can make up for in different ways. There are better ways to make money than at the convenience of customer. The Vor shop for example.

How many people actually sell their Braton to make room for the Prime version? I didn't, and I don't know anyone who did.

I do mind you saying, actually, because it's becoming clear that you have no idea how game code works. It's not a matter of changing the wording on a button. It's a matter of coding a hell of a lot more than that to 'finish' a system that currently works fine but just needs more content.

Which they can make up for in different ways. There are better ways to make money than at the convenience of customer. The Vor shop for example.

Yes. Or, they can keep it the way it is now, and have the shop and the slot system, and get the best of both worlds. After all, there's nothing wrong with this current system, this whole thread basically being one big buyer's remorse thread.

Yes. Or, they can keep it the way it is now, and have the shop and the slot system, and get the best of both worlds. After all, there's nothing wrong with this current system, this whole thread basically being one big buyer's remorse thread.

Or they can go ahead with the Upgrade system they mentioned for turning weapon and frames into primes thus reducing the endless Forma grind re leveling the same weapon over and over and not use another catalyst and still make loads of money.

You see nothing wrong because you don't mind doing it all over again for the same weapon with minor stat boost, but most people don't share those feelings

it's all perspective.

How many people actually sell their Braton to make room for the Prime version? I didn't, and I don't know anyone who did.

I did, for the Latron. And I'm sure someone two posts below the one you quoted said too. Thinking that everyone thinks like you is always a bad way to go around arguments.

Or they can go ahead with the Upgrade system they mentioned for turning weapon and frames into primes thus reducing the endless Forma grind re leveling the same weapon over and over and not use another catalyst and still make loads of money.

You see nothing wrong because you don't mind doing it all over again for the same weapon with minor stat boost, but most people don't share those feelings

it's all perspective.

I don't mind doing it over again for one weapon because I tend to like that weapon. If you like the weapon you shouldn't have any problem continuing to play with it. If you like the style of the Paris, and the way it plays out and how it functions, you shouldn't have a problem playing with Paris Prime. I liked how the Latron played, being forced to be more accurate and stay back a ways, so naturally I enjoyed using the Latron Prime. And I also enjoy Hate, watching the massive literal spin up to the charge attack and then the spin afterwards, as well as the damage profile and features of the weapon, so I'd imagine I would be in love with Reaper Prime.

I don't mind doing it over again for one weapon because I tend to like that weapon. If you like the weapon you shouldn't have any problem continuing to play with it. If you like the style of the Paris, and the way it plays out and how it functions, you shouldn't have a problem playing with Paris Prime. I liked how the Latron played, being forced to be more accurate and stay back a ways, so naturally I enjoyed using the Latron Prime. And I also enjoy Hate, watching the massive literal spin up to the charge attack and then the spin afterwards, as well as the damage profile and features of the weapon, so I'd imagine I would be in love with Reaper Prime.

And I like spending money to potato the Latron, so I'd like spending it on Latron Prime too.

I had to stop reading this thread when I read this...

Making simmilar weapons into "skins" is a great idea, since we already have skins that alter function of weapons, but allmighty money-grabing desire from devs made it so we dont get any of weapon skins now.

How is it money grubbing? Wouldn't it be -more- money grubbing to have weapon skins be a part of the market? Even with an option to get them through dailies or alerts, your suggestion would end up being more "money grubbing" than what we currently have going.

And I like spending money to potato the Latron, so I'd like spending it on Latron Prime too.

Then how about a Orokin Extractor to extract the superchargers and player added polarities from one weapon and transfer it to another weapon or ONLY to their prime counterparts. You can either buy it, wait for it or farm it in the void. And if this is too much then it can destroy the weapon after extraction which would extract all forma and the supercharger, hell, it can even extract the level(But only can be added to their prime variants - Completely optional).

There, everyone's happy!

The Orokin Extractor would retail for 10 plat and be continued use for 5 plat or free after finding the right component or be one time use and 5 plat each or 10 plat.

Cannot see anyone having an issue with this especially since it's been suggested with no negative responses thus far.

Well, the weapon isn't the issue, it's having to acquire the duplicate prime version with minor stat boost and having to reapply the goods and re level it as much as the original version due to nothing carrying over and a Orokin Extractor(See above)solves that.

Judging by everyone's comments, it seems that an Orokin Extractor is the way to go and keeping the current system that so FEW people enjoy.

Even you can agree, if not, i give up.