Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[R] Is there a DE provided dataset for parts and their drop locations?

CorerMaximus

Question

Hey guys! Long story short- I love Warframe, but the relic system is confusing. Finding which relic drops what prime part; and finding where there relic drops is well- a grind. (I'll stop with the puns now). I know that there is a dataset compiled by excavating game files, but trying to make sense of it is a nightmare. (I'm using R, and there is no way to get a dataframe out of it without going line by line and standardizing the formatting).

My question is- have you had any luck analyzing Warframe data (if so, which dataset did you use?), and if there is a DE provided dataset for drops per rotation on each game mode, and drops per relic. I'm not asking for percents or drop rates, just drop items so I could create a tool that let's say you want a Banshee Prime, you plug that in and it gives you the components you need to craft it, which relics drop it, and where those relics drop. 

Before you frown upon this, it'd make life a lot easier. As of now, do get this information, you need to go to the relic station and search across all 4 relics; if you get no results on each or see you only have one relic of that part, you need to Google which relic drops the part, and then go on the Warframe wiki and see which map drops it, which is quite a bit of work. This would really simplify this process and save us a lot of time. I'm super keen on developing such a thing, so any links or resources for such a dataset would be awesome! 

Edit- Does anyone know how the Warframe Wiki got their data? I'm hoping they didn't hardcode that data in! :O 

Edit- I am using R

Edited by CorerMaximus

8 answers to this question

I have no idea what "R" is, but if you go to reddit you can find many posts about game data, or even certain tools like the one you found, however we are not allowed to speak of datamining on the forums. 

Im pretty sure the Wiki gets its info from a combo of in game testing and the datamining. There was a big announcement about whether or not they should use the datamined info obtained in a way that breaks ToS a while back and I think they ultimately decided to use it. The wiki is reliable most of the time. 

Edited by armedpoop

30 minutes ago, CorerMaximus said:

-snip-

I'm not asking for percents or drop rates, just drop items so I could create a tool that let's say you want a Banshee Prime, you plug that in and it gives you the components you need to craft it, which relics drop it, and where those relics drop.

-snip-

Well, since you know that the wiki has the information you're seeking, why not use that as a source? It does generally have correct information on relic contents and relic drop locations, so it's reliable for your purposes.

5 minutes ago, Archeyef said:

-snip-

I want to make something that isn't hardcoded, and will require zero maintenance from my end. The forum's information will require some way to get the information from that table (crawling through the website?), which really isn't that efficient nor practical. Plus, it's maintained by users, so there's a chance of inaccurate information. My reason for not wanting something hardcoded though is if tomorrow a relic changes it's drops or is vaulted, having something find and show what each relic drops programmatically is a far more efficient and long-term viable way to present information.

Not to mention having this written programmatically means that it will require almost zero maintenance and will be available and updated as the game goes on. There are so many great tools that have run into this problem where the information is hardcoded in (Weapon and mastery trackers), and I don't want to make the same mistake.

there is no first party data given to Players so that they can know where to find what in some sort of concise, fast way.

the closest to that, is going to your Codex and clicking on EVERY SINGLE Key entry and reading where it says you can get it. but ofcourse you have no idea even common/uncommon/rare rares for that Key on that Mission, just that you can theoretically get it in 37 places. but that includes nonsense like Captures, which while you can theoretically get a Key from them, the Rates are so obnoxiously low that.... no you can't.

so as ever it's the duty of the Players (somehow) to find information to have some idea of what they're doing in the game.
because the game apparently wants you to get nothing for your troubles if it has any say in it.

there is a relic section in the codex that tells you what each relic drops and where the relics are found, of course it requires you to have cleared the node for it to be listed, and i think you might need to have owned the relic before for it to show up

however that doesnt tell you what rot the relics are found in

Edited by NightBlitz

Stuff the wiki.

(and I say that as someone who contributes to the wiki, and encourages the use of them wherever possible).

There is no good reason why a large amount of game data can't be provided from an official source, especially when it's already in the codex / could be crowd-sourced after just one AABC rotation (if players would actually submit it, instead of being so dumb as to say 'someone needs to edit the wiki').

Having that kind of data would save a lot of people a lot of work, because the wiki itself could have hundreds of pages updated automatically from something like a CSV formatted text file.

Better game developers already provide this kind of data.

If your game is so complex it needs to be explained, and you aren't willing to make the help files and tutorials yourself, then you should be providing APIs and data dumps to 3rd parties so that they can do it instead.

The wiki wiki exists, but you're missing my point- you cannot, in one click, lookup a part and find which relic drops it, and find where that relic itself drops. All existing methods to get this information require more than two clicks, and going through huge tables on the wiki, or switching between menus on in the codex which is too much work. I'm saying let's say you're looking up the Banshee P. It would be like

Banshee Prime

Crafting Component  |  Relic                  | Relic Drop Location

Nuero                        | XXX                     | Node- Planet