The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The spectra and pyrana

Fallen_Echo

Question

19 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, Fallen_Echo said:

So in conclusion pyrana can atleast work against the infested, while the spectra is hopeless.

Do you think a riven could help the spectra its absolutely hopeless?

I have built both and level them currently but soo far only the pyrana feels like it could worth potato and formas.

Yea, Pyrana is similar to Brakk in that they both do poorly against lvl 100+ Heavy armor. Outside that, it's fine.

Spectra is one of the weapons where the Riven system fails.

Even though you could get a big enough Riven like +400% damage +200% multishot and bring it's damage in line with other weapons. It still uses status/sec which means it'll be lucky to get 2 procs a second. Being mostly base Puncture damage around half of those procs are going to be Puncture, which is just about useless. Add onto that the weapon has 5% x2 crit making it non-crit viable and a weapon with nearly half it's listed DPS could still match it's damage output with head-shots. It's ammo economy isn't too hot either.

37 minutes ago, Fallen_Echo said:

are they worth making or they are relics of the past only good for mastery fodding?

spectra is a fun weapon to use, and has a syndicate augment which makes it a bit nicer than other fodder weapons.  If beam weapons are not your cup of tea, then no it is not worth much beyond MR.

3 minutes ago, Volkeris said:

The Pyrana is shadowed by the Brakk and the Spectra is just weak.

Pyrana = slash, 20% crit, clan research

Brakk = Impact, 15% crit, random drop off G3

Based on those stats alone I'd prefer Pyrana over Brakk.  There are a ton of impact weapons, shotgun or otherwise, not so much of the slash variety for secondaries.

Just depends on if you prefer the shotgun secondary type of gameplay.

1 minute ago, Xekrin said:

Based on those stats alone I'd prefer Pyrana over Brakk.  There are a ton of impact weapons, shotgun or otherwise, not so much of the slash variety for secondaries.

Brakks better to me since it has both pretty high slash and impact, making it good against both corpus and infested, then you can add corrosive against grineer. Also, Brakk has higher base damage, so it is also a winner.

4 minutes ago, Volkeris said:

Brakks better to me since it has both pretty high slash and impact, making it good against both corpus and infested, then you can add corrosive against grineer. Also, Brakk has higher base damage, so it is also a winner.

I guess i stay with the pyrana now as i dont have the brakk yet.

34 minutes ago, Xekrin said:

Biggest issue both have is their ridiculous damage falloff, making them basically melee weapons that consume ammo...

The pyrana is a pretty decent weapon for general play. The mods we have now can make that thing pretty lethal. Not sure how it would do in end game though. But in all honesty, I wouldn't advise investing a lot of time into it since there are much better weapons available. But give it a shot. It could surprise you.

Pyrana with multishot mods, primed crit chance and crit damage mods, Hydraulic Crosshairs and Sharpened Bullets is a monster. Being automatic also means you can unload the magazine and shread basically anything. It's extremely satisfying. I think a Riven with reload speed, reduction to recoil and increase in magazine size would be the ideal utility, as these limitations can be a little hard to get through. Overall, it is totally worth a potato and a load of forma.

Haven't tried the Spectra, I'm afraid.

Edited by Gorila_Azul

8 hours ago, Gorila_Azul said:

Pyrana with multishot mods, primed crit chance and crit damage mods, Hydraulic Crosshairs and Sharpened Bullets is a monster. Being automatic also means you can unload the magazine and shread basically anything. It's extremely satisfying. I think a Riven with reload speed, reduction to recoil and increase in magazine size would be the ideal utility, as these limitations can be a little hard to get through. Overall, it is totally worth a potato and a load of forma.

Haven't tried the Spectra, I'm afraid.

To be fair i have a 240% crit chance riven for pyrana, got it yesterday. I only have the normal crit chance mod but with this i can reach 92% crit.

Worth making? Sure.

Worth putting Forma and a Catalyst into?  Not really.

Spectra is base Puncture damage, low base damage, not crit viable and it uses status/sec. Too many things working against.

Pyrana uses shotgun mechanics which means it's damage is only good against low armored or unarmored enemies and has massive damage fall-off.

Pyrana can at least do something against unarmored enemies but it's trash against high level armor. Spectra is just beyond hope.

I personally wouldn't invest in either.

41 minutes ago, Xzorn said:

Worth making? Sure.

Worth putting Forma and a Catalyst into?  Not really.

Spectra is base Puncture damage, low base damage, not crit viable and it uses status/sec. Too many things working against.

Pyrana uses shotgun mechanics which means it's damage is only good against low armored or unarmored enemies and has massive damage fall-off.

Pyrana can at least do something against unarmored enemies but it's trash against high level armor. Spectra is just beyond hope.

I personally wouldn't invest in either.

So in conclusion pyrana can atleast work against the infested, while the spectra is hopeless.

Do you think a riven could help the spectra its absolutely hopeless?

I have built both and level them currently but soo far only the pyrana feels like it could worth potato and formas.

Hello there, wish i had come across this thread sooner. The pyrana is an exceptional weapon, i have 7 forma in mine and it kills lvl 100+ corrupt bombards in about 11 bullets. I have attached my build in hopes that you will consider building and using the Pyrana. There are plenty of rivens out there for the pyrana and with its almost maxed out disposition it is not difficult to find a very powerful riven. One thing that sets the Pyrana a part from shotguns is that it has no damage fall off. While the spread may thin out the amount of bullets that hit targets at distance, unlike other shotguns, the pellets themselves will not do less damage from a distance (i.e. if you hit an enemy with 2 pellets it will do the same dmg regardless of distance) I take my pyrana into sorties as it is incredibly powerful. I have a good riven but it is far from godly. Even with no crit or crit damage boost this gun is insane, please consider it.

Edit: Damage falloff was added to the pyranna as of U21

Spoiler

Edited by dmantacos

On 29/05/2017 at 9:45 AM, dmantacos said:

Hello there, wish i had come across this thread sooner. The pyrana is an exceptional weapon, i have 7 forma in mine and it kills lvl 100+ corrupt bombards in about 11 bullets. I have attached my build in hopes that you will consider building and using the Pyrana. There are plenty of rivens out there for the pyrana and with it's maxed out disposition it is not difficult to find a very powerful riven. One thing that sets the Pyrana a part from shotguns is that it has no damage fall off. While the spread may thin out the amount of bullets that hit targets at distance, unlike other shotguns, the pellets themselves will not do less damage from a distance (i.e. if you hit an enemy with 2 pellets it will do the same dmg regardless of distance) I take my pyrana into sorties as it is incredibly powerful. I have a good riven but it is far from godly. Even with no crit or crit damage boost this gun is insane, please consider it.

Hide contents

Hah, I'm afraid your 7 forma Pyrana is simply fodder against my superior riven and crit. And with it's new buff i can now use it on even the hardest Sorties.

(On mobile, so I'll upload my build after I get back online)

(PS: it also is on the same level dps as Tigris Prime)

6 hours ago, Brisingr_Phoenix said:

Hah, I'm afraid your 7 forma Pyrana is simply fodder against my superior riven and crit. And with it's new buff i can now use it on even the hardest Sorties.

(On mobile, so I'll upload my build after I get back online)

(PS: it also is on the same level dps as Tigris Prime)

I mean, i never said mine was the best lol. I even said "even with no crit or crit damage boost this gun is insane" implying that a crit riven would be stronger. Mine also one hits on sortie threes, regardless, this thread is trying to convince people that the pyranna is a good weapon, its not a contest lol

On 03/07/2017 at 9:52 AM, dmantacos said:

I mean, i never said mine was the best lol. I even said "even with no crit or crit damage boost this gun is insane" implying that a crit riven would be stronger. Mine also one hits on sortie threes, regardless, this thread is trying to convince people that the pyranna is a good weapon, its not a contest lol

True: we all know that a 6 forma pre-buff Supra can out preform any other loadout- no questions asked