Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bolt-Action Rifle type primary weapon

Verdha603

Question

Just out of curiosity, is there an equivalent to a bolt-action rifle type weapon in the game, and if not are their any plans from DE to make one? I'll admit its most likely the old-school shooter in me (guilty as charged for using the Vasto's and Sybaris alot because of it), but it would be interesting if DE went and touched on a couple older style weapons rather than continuing the deluge of automatics and semi-automatics that are starting to look like they slap on a different skill and set of numbers to them rather than make major changes on them.

12 answers to this question

Vectis functions not too dissimilar to a Bolt Action Rifle, and in the scope of Warframe, is probably the best analogue you're going to get.
as Bolt/Lever Actions or any other special types like that, in Warframe, are functionally identical to Semi-Auto, just with an Animation put on top of.

I'm not averse to sniper rifles, though I'll admit it feels like I'm almost shooting the same one over and over again when I note all but the Vectis/Vectis Prime are semi-automatics. I don't know whether its personal taste or whatnot, but I do enjoy taking manual-action weapons out for a spin just because its not the usual semi-automatic/burst/fully-automatic I tend to have most of my armory stocked with.

27 minutes ago, Airwolfen said:

Well a thing you would need to do would need to do with the vectis or Vectis Prime with depleted reload is to reload manually directly after each shot as the automatic reload takes a bit to kick in.

This is probably what cements the whole "bolt-action" feel, imo.

3 minutes ago, Timberwolf581 said:

Vectis is more of a PTRD imo.

Would not mind a K98k lookalike, so long as it doesn't end up being bad (read: low damage and/or crit/status based).

Kinda what I was thinking Timber, something that has more damage than the semi-automatic snipers but less than say the Vectis line, give it a four or five shot capacity, manually rack the bolt for each shot, and heck for a description line you could even pass it off as say an ancient weapon used by the Orokin of old back when they were far more plentiful.

Tigris variants can be that if you add a Tainted Shell mod.

Little damage falloff over distance and near pinpoint accuracy. The reduction in fire rate doesn't affect the Tigris.

Just don't hold down the fire-button.

Edited by Orgnolf

On 17.5.2017 at 7:16 AM, Verdha603 said:

Just out of curiosity, is there an equivalent to a bolt-action rifle type weapon in the game, and if not are their any plans from DE to make one? I'll admit its most likely the old-school shooter in me (guilty as charged for using the Vasto's and Sybaris alot because of it), but it would be interesting if DE went and touched on a couple older style weapons rather than continuing the deluge of automatics and semi-automatics that are starting to look like they slap on a different skill and set of numbers to them rather than make major changes on them.

Considering that we allready have lever actions (sybaris/grinlock), breach loads (Tigris, Tonkor) and will soon get pump action shotguns, i don't see why DE should stop there and don't introduce weapons which use a bolt action animations, to round of the selection of archaic firearms.

Though it would just be a cosmetic thing and in terms of gameplay those guns would be semi-auto guns with a delay between shots for the animations, just like Grinlock.

However thinking about it, DE actualy has the option between two styles of animations for bolt actions.

Either the full old school animation where the bolt's lever is pulled upwards and back to open the chamber and then pushed forward and downward again to close it. Or the bolt just being pulled back and forward again. The later would save them a few steps of animations while getting a similar result in terms of visual style.

Though i would hope they don't make it left handed while wielded in the right hand like in Fallout 4 (which looks awkward and requires the gun to be lowered each time) or only use it on sniper rifles (i had some fun playing the original COD and outsniping people with the scopeless versions).

As for guns which feel similar to old school bolt actions. As mentioned before the lever action guns like Grinlock have the same basic feel. The difference is mostly that they come with the feeling of western rather than the big conflicts of late 19th, early 20th century. Vectis also feels like an attempt to catch the style of bolt actions by having a reload between each shot (working like the rifle the Sniper uses in Team Fortress 2)

On 17.5.2017 at 9:25 AM, Regenerating_Degenerate said:

If i was a grineer i would laugh so hard if a space ninja aimed a bolt action rifle at me.

Even if you are a Elita Kuva Lancer who wields a lever action Grinlock?