Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

State of Excalibur?

Sholeh

Question

Hi peeps,

I am a returning player, and have been gone for about 10-12 months I geus, I used to main Excalibur and was able to solo Void Survival for about 60 minutes with the Exalted Blade build.

Now my question is, compared to what I was able to do back than, and how powerfull excalibur is or whatever, how is he as of now? did he get nerfed or buffed in any way?

Thanks in advance!

-Sholeh

16 answers to this question

Excal's still strong. He got a bit of a nerf, though it wasn't a big one.

His Exalted Blade now has some damage falloff over distance. It's still absolutely viable, though. His slide attack for Exalted Blade that caused a mini Blind now costs a small amount of energy, as well. 

I do suggest trying him out before the salty fanboys try to make you think DE "killed" him because of the changes. 

Edited by TrickshotMcGee

Alright thx for the feedback @TrickshotMcGee and @O.O_ I never got into the Gas damage meta I geus cous I've always used Radiation I think, but yeah I noticed that I ran out of Energy very quick and that blind thing caused it so thats good to know.

Thx for the feed back again :)

People often immediately think Exalted Blade when talking about Excalibur...but don't forget what a powerful ability Radial Blind is.  Radial Blind and an Atterax, Secura Lecta, etc is very power both in terms of damage and CC.  Plus, you'll likely have no energy issues what-so-ever.

1 hour ago, TrickshotMcGee said:

Excal's still strong. He got a bit of a nerf, though it wasn't a big one.

His Exalted Blade used to have infinite range , but now it has a range of like 50 meters or something (still massive range) and has some damage falloff over that distance. It's still absolutely viable, though. His slide attack for Exalted Blade that caused a mini Blind now costs a small amount of energy, as well. 

I do suggest trying him out before the salty fanboys try to make you think DE "killed" him because of the changes. 

The range of the Exalted Blade was never infinite. The distance the blades can travel to is the same as ever, only that now they get damage falloff the further they travel, so you must be confusing facts. 

1 minute ago, -N7-Leonhart said:

The range of the Exalted Blade was never infinite. The distance the blades can travel to is the same as ever, only that now they get damage falloff the further they travel, so you must be confusing facts. 

Might be. I do seem to recall it having longer range, though, and being able to practically snipe with it. Perhaps it's the addition of the falloff that's giving me rose-tinted glasses. Will edit my post, regardless. I appreciate the correction.

4 hours ago, Tizodd said:

People often immediately think Exalted Blade when talking about Excalibur...but don't forget what a powerful ability Radial Blind is.  Radial Blind and an Atterax, Secura Lecta, etc is very power both in terms of damage and CC.  Plus, you'll likely have no energy issues what-so-ever.

Yeah true, I did not forget about Radial Blind, I simply find Exalted Blade fun to play with, as its so fast paced, but yeah I get your point :)

The change to Excal's Exalted blade was a massive nerf. Sorry but if someone doesn't see that they might have not actually played Excal in a level range where his damage output actually mattered. His waves reduce in damage per enemy hit in addition to distance traveled. The result is that excal has roughly 1/4 the damage output he previously had.

This isn't all bad news though. Currently Drifting Contact works with Exalted blade and brings his damage output closer in line with other melee options. This was deemed a bug however half a year ago so if it's ever "fixed" Excal will be in pretty awful shape. I have to assume it hasn't been fixed because of this and that it actually works better with his kit, encouraging him to get into melee range for combo multipliers in addition to making use of his Slash-Dash to keep hit multipliers from dropping.

Radial Blind has suffered two nerfs in the past. It's subject to line of sight and a while before that it was given an internal cooldown. This is why Exalted blade is seen as Excals main form of play since Blind in addition to EB's 60% block reduction is about the only way to maintain a safe fighting situation for him without just going full on Naramon cheese. If you try to rely just on Blind Excal isn't going to make it very far. That's just the cut and dry of it. He doesn't have the eHP to deal with getting hit later in levels, esp due to Nullifiers.

Overall, he's in a decent place right now as long as Drifting Contact works for him , not bad, not great but without Drifting Contact, his EB loses majority of it's damage output and thereby has no real value outside the 60% damage reduction it grants and at that point. might as well play Chroma, Rhino, Wukong or something.

22 hours ago, Sholeh said:

Alright thx for the feedback @TrickshotMcGee and @O.O_ I never got into the Gas damage meta I geus cous I've always used Radiation I think, but yeah I noticed that I ran out of Energy very quick and that blind thing caused it so thats good to know.

Thx for the feed back again :)

Basically whenever you get a stealth kill with gas it gives like a 5x multiplier. This with radial blind is very powerful. I don't know where they got that it got nerfed though.

10 minutes ago, (PS4)joshw1400 said:

Your crazy, it still works....

It doesn't.

Gas procs used to deal 512x if stealth multipliers were active, and Slash/Fire/Toxic/etc also used to deal 64x while stealthed.
They all now deal 8x damage, as originally intended. (Which is a damn shame, since that was the only thing making Gas viable.)

Just now, SortaRandom said:

It doesn't.

Gas procs used to deal 512x if stealth multipliers were active, and Slash/Fire/Toxic/etc also used to deal 64x while stealthed.
They all now deal 8x damage, as originally intended. (Which is a damn shame, since that was the only thing making Gas viable.)

When did this happen ._.

4 minutes ago, (PS4)joshw1400 said:

When did this happen ._.

Update 20.0.

I can totally understand why they fixed it (literally any frame could instakill an entire room by spamming Lecta/TBoltace slide attacks while invisible), but leaving Gas procs with exactly the same multiplier as all other melee damage takes away the only real advantage it had. If they just tripled the base damage for Gas procs or something, it could potentially hold its own against other elemental combos without being overpowered.

But alas. Gas must be exactly as weak as it's been since November 2013.

Still doesn't matter.

He can do anything on the map with ease and also do level 150-200ish survival easily as well. Some planning and teamwork needed past that but that's the same for all frames.