Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

belt fed machine guns

silvardragon

Well in Sealab Sabotage we already see that the Grineer are not above turning clones with high mental capacity into legless multi arm processor drones with the only task of doing endless calculations. Would not put it past them to turn clones into heavy weapon systems.

We can fire rocket launchers without recoil or backblast. We carry around and fire anti-tank beam cannons. We can even wield a medieval cannon that shoots cannonballs.

I think we can wear a backpack with a tube attached to it feeding into the HMG, which is what the Supra is technically while the Gorgon is a LMG that gets half the magazine size.

Then we can take the ridiculousness up to 11 with the Grineer and Corpus as new units.

6 hours ago, furturgamesliker said:

i don't like it when people think aesthetics are more important than fucntionality but i still prefer having belt fed machine gun and why only have a magasine fed weapon and not have a different as the belt fed

Because once you have a functional 200rd magazine what would you need a belt for? A belt is needless complexity, weight, and hassle when compared to an equivalent box magazine.

The only reason belt-fed guns exist is the fact that magazines much past 50rds or so are unreliable. There have been some efforts to design mags that are, but results have been mixed, to put it mildly.

Barrel (really chamber) overheating is also an issue with a gun running continuously near its cyclic rate. A heavy machine gun is heavy by reason of its logistics tail, not so much its absolute weight (i.e. ammunition, tripod, extra barrels, etc.). An MG34 could be an LMG, MMG, or HMG by mere virtue of how much stuff you brought to support the gun; the more you bring, the more it can sustain its cyclic rate.

How does this apply to Warframe? It doesn't. So we're back to just aesthetics.

Hells yes.  I would love an M60E4 in game lol, or, a Tenno LMG based off one.  Put my own idea for the stats over in the fan concept forum.....

The Soma is neat, the Gorgon is cool, the Supra is meh, but none of them quite scratch the "LMG" itch.  Soma is cool, but something else to fill it's spot would be nice.  It gets old using just that gun for basically everything(and no, I dont dig using the other weapons, like Ogris and Tonkor, im an LMG player haha).  Gorgons are to clunky and inaccurate, Supra just feels terrible to use.  Stradavar doesnt have enough ammo, Tenora just looks horrific and not at all like a Machinegun.  Bratons dont get enough ammo and arent big enough to be LMGs. 

So yeah, we just need a nice, moderately fast firing(7-9Rps), high raw dmg LMG, with decent enough crit and status.  Make it look a little like the M60E4 and it'd be perfect.  M240 would be nice to, or the SAW lol.  Any of those LMGs.  Mag size of like 120-150, good enough accuracy, around 18-24.  Recoil to make it not completely boring to use, but not derpy to handle like the Supra. 

i do like the idea for more functionality than beauty so i do believe i love function over looks and i would love the idea of a belt fed as i kept saying and we're in the future in warframe so they could've found a way to make a belt fed machine gun as reliable as a mag fed weapon aesthetic isn't everything in life functionality is a part of life if life were always based on looks nothing would function as functionality is removed

1 hour ago, Timberwolf581 said:

A belt fed no-magazine gun would be interesting to say the least.

And yes, the Soma Prime has a 200 round magazine, but when you consider you may need more than half of those for a bombard, those 200 rounds suddenly feel like very little.

then maybe a ordinary heavy machine gun that has 300 round box magasine?

On 29.05.2017 at 0:47 AM, Sloan441 said:

The only reason belt-fed guns exist is the fact that magazines much past 50rds or so are unreliable. There have been some efforts to design mags that are, but results have been mixed, to put it mildly.

belt-fed guns excels at suppressive fire

1 hour ago, Vilmera said:

belt-fed guns excels at suppressive fire

That's because they can maintain a firing rate, which comes down to stable position (tripod, a fixed naval pedestal, aircraft guns, etc.), extra barrels, and lots of ammunition.

The reasons you see belts is a matter of reliability. Large box magazines aren't particularly reliable in their present forms. The C-Mag rotary mag springs to mind. Slick gadget with a 200rd capacity, but...it doesn't work very well for a number of reasons.

If you can solve those problems--and the Orokin obviously did /coughSomaPrime/cough--then there's no reason to fiddle with the bulk and complexity of a belt fed action.

Interestingly, the FN MAG GPMG is essentially a Browning Automatic Rifle (box magazine fed) receiver flipped over with a belt feeding mechanism attached to the top. The BAR weighs about 18lbs. The MAG weighs about 27lbs in its lightest forms.

3 hours ago, Sloan441 said:

If you can solve those problems--and the Orokin obviously did /coughSomaPrime/cough--then there's no reason to fiddle with the bulk and complexity of a belt fed action.

200 rounds per clip? not bad, but what about whole 1000 for sustained fire?