Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Profanity Filter?

Megasheep

So, I was trying to create a clan for me and my friends.

I tried to name the clan with the word "Savage" in it.

Somehow that triggers the profanity filter and the game tells me that I cannot have profanity in the name of a clan.

Has anyone else run into strange words that trigger the profanity filter?

Hey All,

Just want to remind you that profanity isn't allowed on these forums, even when not using it and just discussing it. I understand this complicates threads such as these but @Godzilla853 is correct, words are chosen based on both their innate profane quality and their potential to be used for profanity.

Sorry for the confusion,

[DE]Aidan

can't wait for my name to get banned because it has dago in it, wich apparently is a derogative term for people of Spanish or Italian descent

Edit: Pls don't DE I love my name and I swear I'm not racist

Edited by Radagosh

Just now, [DE]Aidan said:

Hey All,

Just want to remind you that profanity isn't allowed on these forums, even when not using it and just discussing it. I understand this complicates threads such as these but @Godzilla853 is correct, words are chosen based on both their innate profane quality and their potential to be used for profanity.

Sorry for the confusion,

[DE]Aidan

Then why can I say and name all my dogs C***? Seems like one of those extremely obvious words to block. Yet I've named my first kubrow with it and a few kavats that I have sold.

26 minutes ago, [DE]Aidan said:

words are chosen based on both their innate profane quality and their potential to be used for profanity.

Yeah, the problem with that is some words that are censored  have no obvious profane qualities.  While S[censored]e can be used as something of a minor insult, certainly, it is also a perfectly normal word meaning ferocious or uncontrollable.  

How, pray tell, is it even possible for us to guess what words are considered profane when some have very clear and perfectly acceptable usage in normal dialogue, especially words that pertain to fierceness and of having animal-like qualities in a game about slaughter, death and mass murder.

To put it bluntly, yet in fear of speaking the awful and profane, why is the word of OP's attempted clan name possibly worthy of being censored?  

Especially when, as someone mentioned above, there are plenty of words (denoted in Shy's video, which I fear to link) that have clear and concise vulgar connotations yet are somehow acceptable.

In conclusion, these profanity filters are just plain confusing and really should come with a guide book.

Well, I didn't want to call out my clan name idea, cuz ya'know, thieves and all.  But for clarity, it was "Savage Storm."

I have since chosen another clan name, so not worried about it now.

It was a combination of words from two old EQ guilds that my friends and I used to belong to.  A LONG time ago.  :laugh:

Savage Arms, and Amazon Storm.  I feel old now.  My back hurts.

22 hours ago, Aurea_Hiigara said:

I remember in Anarchy Online a clan wanted to name themselves <something> Analysts. It got flagged because yeah.

+1 for having played AO.

Automatic filters are still a long way from being reliable on detecting actual profanity while allowing us to use words in any non profane way we want to.

I played a game where "CO?" used to be auto filtered in chat. Ive never figured this one out.

Edited by NukeSpear

6 hours ago, NukeSpear said:

+1 for having played AO.

Automatic filters are still a long way from being reliable on detecting actual profanity while allowing us to use words in any non profane way we want to.

I played a game where "CO?" used to be auto filtered in chat. Ive never figured this one out.

AO was my first MMO. Still holds a place in my heart but gods the graphics haven't aged well.

As for CO, just don't rock out with your ... CO.

• 2 weeks later...

As a follow-up, I just wanted to say thanks to DE for being accommodating.

"Hello Megasheep,
I've made the change to your clan name manually. As requested, your clan will now be known in-game as "Savage Storm". If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.

[DE]Matt
De Matt Tenno Script"

I got this email today.

Thanks DE!