Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Questions about damage types

(PSN)snjpe3down

Question

Ok so yea this is noobish asking these questions because ive been playing for quite a while, but i can never get straight up answers. Now first is about status chance, what does it do and does it matter. For example on my surpa vandle i have the main dmg mods and all pluss the four 60% status mods (Just for now im formaing and going to put on 90% mods) does status chance only matter on status weapons or will the statues still be done like corrosive still does dmg but just doesnt proc? (srry bout the wording, couldnt find right words) like say on my rubico i just built, what a good example of a build? Does it realy matter what type of damage i use against a certain faction? Like puncture for grineer, and impact for corpuc ect.? 

Edited by (PS4)snjpe3down
Forgot a question

6 answers to this question

Status chance gives your weapon a chance to inflict one or more statuses on enemies based on the damage types present on the weapon. There is a comprehensive page of details about the different statuses and what each damage type is best against here: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Damage Status can be really good depending on the situation such as an Armor Enhanced Sortie mission or other high level content.

Edited by TruthArbiter

Elemental damage Mods will always deal damage, whether or not any status is procced.

Physical base damage types matter more on crit weapons / builds
as those don't have as much room for elemental Mods,
though generally it's not a crippling issue to e.g.
use a naturally Impact-heavy weapon against Grineer or anything.

Using the "correct" elemental setup can hugely affect your effectiveness in combat.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_2.0#Overview_Table

Warframe_Damage_Full.png

It's not as important as most people think it is.
Once you are properly modded you will have enough damage to kill most anything even with -75% damage against them. That is also because most attacks you do consist of more than just one damage type so a -75% damage against certain types of defenses does not mean -75% of your total damage, ever.

What does matter mostly are the status procs the different damage types have.

11 hours ago, (PS4)snjpe3down said:

Ok so yea this is noobish asking these questions because ive been playing for quite a while, but i can never get straight up answers. Now first is about status chance, what does it do and does it matter. For example on my surpa vandle i have the main dmg mods and all pluss the four 60% status mods (Just for now im formaing and going to put on 90% mods) does status chance only matter on status weapons or will the statues still be done like corrosive still does dmg but just doesnt proc? (srry bout the wording, couldnt find right words) like say on my rubico i just built, what a good example of a build? Does it realy matter what type of damage i use against a certain faction? Like puncture for grineer, and impact for corpuc ect.? 

There is IPS damge and there is elemental damage. IPS meaning impact, puncture and slash.

As a rule of thumb impact is good against corpus because it is good against shields, puncture is good against Grineer because it is good against ferrite armor and slash is good against infested because it is good against flesh.

With elemental damage there is also a rule of thumb. Corrosive is good against Grineer, Corrosive and Heat is good against infested and Magnetic and Toxis is good against Corpus. 

I did a "noobish" listing a while back but it is still valid: http://www.larshaendler.com/2015/12/23/warframe-elemental-damage-weakness-per-fraction/

I called those guidelines above rules of thumb because there are many different enemy types you have to consider at high level missions or sortie. If you really want to make the "perfect" choice you have to go to the wiki: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_2.0 

About status chance: The higher the status chance of a weapon the more likely it is to proc its "special effect".

Every damage type (ISP and elemental) can proc. The corrosive proc for example means armor of an enemy is stripped by 25%. The slash proc (commonly refferred as bleed) makes the enemy take a percentage of the inflicated damage for a short after he got hit. Understanding procs completely could be a separate course at university. It is complex (especially slash and gas) and varies  between weapon types. You shoud get into it when you want to do sorties but not necessarily for the "normal" star chart missions.

For early to mid game you can ignore status proc and should concentrate on doing as much damage as possible with the correct damage type. And one more advice for that: elemental damage is always more important than ISP damage. 

Edited by k05h

1 hour ago, k05h said:

The corrosive proc for example means armor of an enemy is stripped by 25% for 8 seconds.

That whole duration deal is only for when your Frame gets a Corrosive proc
(or when you use Duration-limited abilities like Seeking Shuriken / Avalanche / whatnot),
Corrosive procs on enemies remove Armor permanently.