Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Player Alignment [Warwithin Spoiler]

ZombieTrooper

16 minutes ago, Blakrana said:

Incorrect.

Ordan Karris was a mercenary because he relished combat. He was a warrior and battle was his only desire. Then he started becoming more and more disdainful of the Orokin across his campaigns, eventually twisting to planning their deaths when he learned he'd die of a blood defect of some form; the idea of dying not in battle and not honourably wasn't something he could, ironically, live with.

He explicitly notes his shock and horror at the idea of being offered the potential to join the Orokin ranks when Ballas presents the Red Vial. Ordan Karris explicitly wanted to go out in the single most horrific blaze of glory he could muster; the murder of the Orokin, to become an infamous legend unmatched there on.

It completely failed and he ends up being forced to imbibe the Vial as his punishment. For Ordan wanted death as his reward, not immortality.

Oooh, my bad. It's been a while since I saw that history, completely forgot about it.

Well then, even so, the other orokin are described as greedy and corrupted, who wanted their sip of kuva to become immortal. Which means they'd do anything, good or wrong, to get the kuva. That's what might happen to the tenno who drunk the kuva.

14 minutes ago, Kaotyke said:

You dont... Ordan Karris was plagued by a recurring nightmare, and I quote: "The chamber echo with their silk voices, grand words of how honored I must feel. Wrong. Did I want to be an Orokin, undying? No. Their Beast of Bones was haunted by the dream repeated. Why would I want forever?"

As I said, my bad, it seems I mixed the story.

2 hours ago, Blakrana said:

He explicitly notes his shock and horror at the idea of being offered the potential to join the Orokin ranks when Ballas presents the Red Vial. Ordan Karris explicitly wanted to go out in the single most horrific blaze of glory he could muster; the murder of the Orokin, to become an infamous legend unmatched there on.

I always wondered how genuine this offer was. My impression of the whole incident was that Ballas and, by extension, the Orokin were playing Ordan--they knew exactly what he was up to. His fate was sealed from the beginning.

Anyway, I think everyone tries to game alignment too much. This is an RPG on a certain level and the 'role' part is making decisions based on what you would do in your operator's position. Granted, we don't know very much, but the operator has forgotten so much that they're making decisions on very incomplete memories.

NG+ playthroughs of traditional RPGs are one thing when it comes to finessing alignment systems, but in an ongoing ARPG like this one it's simply better to go with the flow your role demands and let the chips fall where they may.

31 minutes ago, Sloan441 said:

I always wondered how genuine this offer was. My impression of the whole incident was that Ballas and, by extension, the Orokin were playing Ordan--they knew exactly what he was up to. His fate was sealed from the beginning.

It's quite possible.

I mean, as a bit of personal theory, I wonder if the Orokin enforced a kind of genetic determinism by ensuring flaws and errors came up in the populace. For Ordan, that means his blood defect pushed him over the edge...ultimately giving the Orokin a kick at another failed assassination attempt.

Far fetched perhaps, but can't say it's not fitting.