The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

All in all, I'm really pleased with the Syndicate-related quests

UltimateSpinDash

The Silver Grove. The Glast Gambit. Octavias Anthem. And now Chains of Harrow.

All of these involved Syndicates, all of them had their flaws, but there is one thing from a storytelling perspective that all of these did: Portray the Syndicates in a way that you either want to support them, or at least understand why the Lotus is letting these Syndicates work with other Tenno even when they are sending death squads after you.

Since I'm with the left three syndicates (I'm on good terms with Red Veil when it comes to standing, but only because of Steel Meridian), Octavias Anthem didn't exactly change my perception of Cephalon Suda. The others though...

The Glast Gambit: Ergo Glast may be the only real philantropist in the entire system. He may be a businessman, but he cares about making fair deals and doesn't seek wealth for it's own sake, but to be able to change the system for the better. He was willing to risk everything to help the Myconians and stayed remarkably calm when we initially lose the bet due to Neffy's cheating. His actions make we wonder why the Perrin Sequence sends death squads after Tenno who support other Syndicates though.

The Silver Grove: I may not exactly like New Loka now, but their motives are clearer and Amaryns development shows that the Syndicate doesn't entirely consist of dogmatic maniacs.

Chains of Harrow: Aside from introducing an autistic character into the lore, and doing it in a really good way, Red Veil appears less fanatic than their description implies.

I'm looking forward to the quests dedicated to Steel Meridian and the Arbiters. Fleshing out the syndicates makes the origin system appear much more alive. The Syndicates are no longer just a shop in our ships, they are actually out there doing something.
I also hope we get some quests detailing the alliances and rivalries between the Syndicates. Chains of Harrow briefly mentions the alliance between Steel Meridian and Red Veil, but IIRC the Red Veil also wanted us to give them the location of the Grineer Defectors, rather than Steel Meridian, so there may be tensions between them as well.

For me it is the complete opposite. I am not much of a lore person, I play a game for the gameplay and mechanics, not a storyline, but I was hopeful. This is what we got imo:

- Silver Grove plant farming simulator

- Octavia quest was actually really fun with the Incident Archive mission at the end.

- The Glast Gambit was terrible and forced players into the index. The quest was short and was all over the place and made no sense.

- Chains of Harrow was kind of cool, but terribly short and the last part was a copy paste to the end of TWW fight.

I'm not satisfied with them at all. None of them have had stories that actually deal with what they're about.

New Loka's quest did not address in any way New Loka's primary goal of repopulating Earth with a pure humanity.

Perrin Sequence's quest did not deal with their opposition to Corpus war profiteering.

Suda's quest barely dealt with her quest for knowledge, and didn't deal with her origins at all.

Red Veil's quest didn't deal with the Red Veil's motivations for wanting to cleanse the system with a purging fire.

All of these quests failed to shed light on the Syndicates and their motivations for doing what they do. It's as though DE completely ignored what they came up with as the premise for these syndicates.

And not only was the lore (mentioned above) lacking, but the gameplay was lacking as well, and that's because of the shallow gameplay mechanics that are currently in the game.

7 minutes ago, --Q--Voltage said:

For me it is the complete opposite. I am not much of a lore person, I play a game for the gameplay and mechanics, not a storyline, but I was hopeful. This is what we got imo:

- Silver Grove plant farming simulator

- Octavia quest was actually really fun with the Incident Archive mission at the end.

- The Glast Gambit was terrible and forced players into the index. The quest was short and was all over the place and made no sense.

- Chains of Harrow was kind of cool, but terribly short and the last part was a copy paste to the end of TWW fight.

Mostly agree. The plant scanning was dull, the Index missions overstayed their welcome and the operator mechanics are not fleshed out enough for them to be used in a bossfight.

I was talking about the story part though. I deliberately left out gameplay issues because of that.

I thought as stories they were well done, but the repetitive nature of many of them quickly broke any immersion for me. 

Do the index a billion times, go do three capture missions in a row where you catch someone's "emotions". 

Incident archive, people liked that? Repetitive to the extreme, basically have to do the same thing three times in a row with increasing length each time, people just thought it wasn't as repetitive because it was all in one mission. 

Scanning plants was horrible.