Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Feedback from the Field : Is Farming Work or Play?

(XBOX)Phil de Blanc

"Please deposit one Orokin Reactor and 100,000 Credits to continue" - Arbiters syndicate

So many hidden thresholds and arbitrary economy limits turns fun-game into sad-work.

DE, you've made such great strides!  I welcome so many of your design decisions, but these requirements become a mountain of chores to many potential fans.  It's why I broke up with Warframe last year.  Oh, I can commit to a relationship: I hold the dubious honor of 4K hrs in Destiny… and I know Warfare players will enjoy 'tax' relief as much as Bungie players did when they relaxed resource requirements.  

The hidden trip-wires these hidden gating requirements and general lack of documentation makes the game, you, look unpolished, leaving one more layer of bewilderment on your potential audiences.  I just can't get mates to 'play' your little reindeer games.  Your bigger ones, like sci-fi vision, points for style, free-to-play intro, all get a tip of the hat, but design crutches like 'excessive' resource-gathering often reveal weak game design and send them running.  My son included, "Too much like chores".  Expand your horizons, and player base, and consider more interesting ways to engage us: I know you have the creative juice to come up with some truly inspired game-play. I'm also OG GDC and can deeply appreciate how attuned and responsive you are to the community.  Ad astra!

Cheers,

"Phil de Blanc" on Xbox One, www.linkedin.com/in/formandfunction to pros, Jonathan to my mother. 

3 hours ago, (Xbox One)Phil de Blanc said:

"Please deposit one Orokin Reactor and 100,000 Credits to continue" - Arbiters syndicate

So many hidden thresholds and arbitrary economy limits turns fun-game into sad-work.

DE, you've made such great strides!  I welcome so many of your design decisions, but these requirements become a mountain of chores to many potential fans.  It's why I broke up with Warframe last year.  Oh, I can commit to a relationship: I hold the dubious honor of 4K hrs in Destiny… and I know Warfare players will enjoy 'tax' relief as much as Bungie players did when they relaxed resource requirements.  

The hidden trip-wires these hidden gating requirements and general lack of documentation makes the game, you, look unpolished, leaving one more layer of bewilderment on your potential audiences.  I just can't get mates to 'play' your little reindeer games.  Your bigger ones, like sci-fi vision, points for style, free-to-play intro, all get a tip of the hat, but design crutches like 'excessive' resource-gathering often reveal weak game design and send them running.  My son included, "Too much like chores".  Expand your horizons, and player base, and consider more interesting ways to engage us: I know you have the creative juice to come up with some truly inspired game-play. I'm also OG GDC and can deeply appreciate how attuned and responsive you are to the community.  Ad astra!

Cheers,

"Phil de Blanc" on Xbox One, www.linkedin.com/in/formandfunction to pros, Jonathan to my mother. 

This is a free game. Either they heavily incentivize paying plat for new things or they don't make any money. You might have an argument if this were a game being sold for 60 bucks, like Destiny, with occasional DLC to keep the money flow constant, but the barrier for playing this game is nothing. You can play everything in-game, use every frame that's been released, every weapon that's in the game, and not pay a single cent.

Thanks for the feedback.

Understood, this is free to play. There are economies and there are economies… these levels of resource obtainment are arbitrary and subject to change and we can only hope the rationale is clear and internally consistent with a larger meta. This game has changed a great deal since it started: once upon a day you only had one life to give and when you gave your 1X you had to wait until the next day, right? SO, the various rules are malleable and I'm simply stating the amounts are daunting. This is true even if I paid for every single thing possible with Platinum. 

I stand by my statement/challenge for Digital Extremes : give inspired game-play over rote farming and you'll have vastly more players.