Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fluffy's warframe concepts - weapons and enemies! (Newest concept - 𝑻𝒆𝒏𝒏𝒐 5-𝒓𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅 𝒃𝒖𝒓𝒔𝒕 𝒑𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒐𝒍!!)

(XBOX)Fluffywolf36

12 hours ago, (XBOX)Fluffywolf36 said:

It's that good? DAMN SON

Thanks so much, this means everything to me.

Oh, it's so good. I use it ALL THE TIME. On Infested, on Kuva survival, (I use viral/fire for that, gas/electric against Infested) against Corpus... in Arbitrations... on Lich nodes...

It is currently my second-most-used primary after the Soma Prime. 

...would you believe I was already brainstorming that since 12:35 or so? :P Already have some early drawings made. I'm trying to make it look like a flintlock revolver.

2003_CKS_06701_0231_000(061529).jpg?mode

ba5c97cdf691a40cdefd61837ea2cd73.jpg

Huh. . . that’s odd, I can’t seem to find the weapon I was looking for, yet, in it’s place, I found my own “ricochet pistol” in the process! A “”primitive”” (in the way that one would look on a musket from the 1700s in 2020) belt-fed pistol from the Europan pirates. Weird as all ell that that would happen that way.

Perhaps it’s one of those fun cases of “wanted to, yet never solidified” and you beat me to it, hehe.

Solaris United 'Skipjack' Pistol

solaris_united__skipjack__beam_pistol_by

“A close cousin to Zuud’s kitguns, this heavy pistol is commonly utilized by both Jovian branches of Solaris United and Level Dawn. They’re comprised of three essential components - a computer hosting a botnet, a power source, and a combat-grade laser. The laser acts as a communication medium, uploading the systems of Proxies and other machinery with malicious code that turns once-loyal machinery against its masters.

It also mines cryptocurrency!”

Codex

Special Traits:

Hijack 
- killing an enemy with the “machinery” or “robotic” health types (and some others) inflicts Nyx’s Mind Control proc on them. This is affected by status duration mods. Also, enemies are not staggered by heat damage while under the effect of radiation procs from this weapon.
Burst Beam: Fires in two-round burst - sort of. First shot does three ticks of damage while acting similarly to a beam, second  one fires a much higher-intensity (and louder!) hitscan shot that does higher damage.

Lore

Since its inception on Venus, Solaris United spawned numerous adherents to its philosophy. From far-off Pluto, to Phobos, to the scavgang and water haulers of Europa, workers took up the stylized Anyo mask, claimed themselves to be Vox Solaris, spread their own teachings on the value of labor, and got to work sabotaging the wheels of Corpus industry. Many of them developed their own doctrines and techniques, the Jovian factions key among them.

Unlike the Venusian chapter of Solaris United, the Jovian Faction and its brothers in arms of Level Dawn - surrounded by and inundated with tech - often focus more heavily on hacking. Existing in a megastructure by automation, Cephalon Weave-derived networking, machinery with questionable security, and half-understood Orokin devices that leave massive security backdoors, a Jovian Solaris or Level Dawn operative can hold hundreds if not thousands hostage for the sake of their demands.

The Skipjack exists to put some of that power in the hands of someone who doesn’t understand computers. According to Level Dawn lore, its inception came when a Level Dawn “heavy” asked his group’s hacker “so why can’t you make a gun that does that?” after they hijacked a Bursa.

And after the mission, an engineer took that request seriously.

The Skipjack was the result. In concept, it’s extremely simple, composed of two main parts, a battery, and a pistol grip. A combat-grade laser is dialed down, (slightly) and then hooked up to a small computer loaded with viruses. The laser acts as a communications medium, uploading hostile code into a computer-controlled target. And, if there’s no computer, well...it does a considerable amount of status, heat, and radiation damage.

It fires somewhat like the Dziewannan ‘Dzida’ beam rifle. It does 3 ticks of damage from a beam, before firing a high-damage blast.

Contrary to popular belief, it can also affect Grineer and even Sentient computer systems. Kills with this weapon also increase the amount of credits dropped.

Enemies It Affects:

Enemies with Mechanical or Robotic health, such as Grineer Turrets, Corpus proxies, etc.
Infested Proxies - Mutalist Moas, ospreys, etc.
Sentients - but you need to kill them and this has only two damage types, so not a good idea.  Also, only one sentient can be mind controlled at a time.
It doesn’t affect Beacons. What would even be the point? 

STATS

Trigger: Burst(?)
Magazine: 16
Fire Rate: 11
Max Ammo: 240

Beam Attacks (fires immediately)

Ammo Consumption: 1
Ticks: 3
Damage per tick: 22
    14 Radiation
8 Heat
Critical Chance: 18%
Critical Multiplier: 2.2x
Status Chance: 48%

Charged Attacks (fires after 3 ticks)

Damage: 88
56 Radiation
32 Heat
Critical Chance: 18%
Critical Multiplier: 2.2x

Artist Notes

Fun fact: If this existed in another game, there’d be all kinds of functions you’d have. You’d be able to hijack cameras, remotely hack things, and… I don’t know, have a lot of programs you could “load” the gun with for various benefits. In fact, any users that aren’t Warframes have access to these!

...But this is Warframe. So you don’t. I didn’t mention it cause it just… didn’t seem relevant.

If ever there existed some time where that sort of thing would’ve been relevant compared to just killing them or blowing up the entire room, it sure as hell isn’t now. Plus, that’d be too much work for the devs to code when I know full well that I sure wouldn’t try and use an Osprey to imitate Crypto from Apex to do any recon. I’d just kill ‘em all!

Now, what’s the utility of this thing? Well, there’s… some pretty fun things you can do. You can turn enemy turrets like Grineer Akkalaks in the Kuva Fortress against your enemies, you can hijack Corpus and Infested proxies, and it also deals a lot of status. Enough that I made sure it did less DPS than the Sicarus Prime. The Sicarus Prime crits better, but this does… a lot of status. So much.

Originally I was gonna give this a blast radius, but… it’s meant to feel a little more subtle than my other offerings, if you just build it for all status it’ll be able to do... well, a lot of status, and half my recent offerings for pistols have a crowd-control element. I just didn’t see the point. 

Aaaanyway, I just felt like I needed to make something more focused on single targets here. Make it less samey.

Edited by (XBOX)Fluffywolf36
  • Like 1

it is now REAL BERF HOURS

Firstly: The Skipjack now has increased zoom when tapping altfire.

Secondly: I was taking a look at the Avakan, the FIRST ASSAULT RIFLE I EVER MADE on this thread (wow) and YEESH

THAT'S TOO MUCH MAN

On 2017-12-20 at 12:21 AM, (XBOX)Fluffywolf36 said:

avakan_prime__and_avakan_tenno__by_harua

Avakan Prime (top)
"This flexible, elegant rifle was commonly used by Dax soldiers and Tenno in operations against Sentients and rebels."

Stats

Trigger: Burst | Auto
Damage: 45 -->38
30 Impact, 10 Puncture, 5 Slash | 28 Slash, 19 Puncture, 8 Impact ---> 25 Impact, 8 Puncture, 5 Slash | 26 Slash, 8 Puncture, 4 Impact

Burst Count: 2 | N/A
Fire Rate: 900 RPM | 500 RPM
Punch Through: 0.3m | N/A
Reload: 3.0s
Magazine: 60
Critical Chance: 10% | 28%
Critical Multiplier: 2.8x| 2.4x
Status Chance: 26% | 12%)

So, time for some needed nerfs by removing 7 points of damage from the base. 

Damage: 45 -->38
30 Impact, 10 Puncture, 5 Slash | 28 Slash, 19 Puncture, 8 Impact ---> 25 Impact, 8 Puncture, 5 Slash | 26 Slash, 8 Puncture, 4 Impact
Fire Rate: 600RPM (10) --> 540 (9)

This was always intended as a more crit-focused, slightly slower-firing offering compared to most Tenno assault rifles.  I'm also a bit worried that giving it a RoF of ten was too close to the Euston, which is supposed to be the M16 to the Avakan's Kalashnikov, so I nerfed the fire rate a bit. On the one hand I'm a little bit miffed that the Tiberon Prime means I can't or shouldn't do that, but the Avakan needs that 60-round magazine (I don't know why, but it does) and it has a faster fire rate than Tiberon Prime, so I feel like it balances out.

On that note I also buffed the Euston's critical chance to 32%.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, (XBOX)Fluffywolf36 said:

An update:

Until I release something new and sufficiently impressive, the Cromlech will continue to be the header for the thread. Because it's cooler than the Skipjack and we all know it.

Daw, and here I thought each new release would, in turn, bring in new audience members. Makes sense though if it’s one of your pieces that you feel the most pride in, like my featured sections, but, up front and through your own enjoyment as opposed to others votes.

1 hour ago, Unus said:

Daw, and here I thought each new release would, in turn, bring in new audience members. Makes sense though if it’s one of your pieces that you feel the most pride in, like my featured sections, but, up front and through your own enjoyment as opposed to others votes.

That's why I (usually) headline the thread with the most recent concept - I feel like it gives people an impression of an ongoing thread.

Plus, well... I mean, I don't dislike the skipjack, but I feel like it's more unassuming than an autoshotgun. Let alone one full of as many gimmicks as the Cromlech.

P.S: "Skipjack" comes from back when I was skiing by lots of abandoned mining equipment at Park City. it's a trail name there, and it seemed like a Solaris name for some kind of computer bypass device or something, and by the time I hammered most of it out I hadn't thought of a better name and just rolled with it.

P.P.S: While we're here, what do you thnk of the skipjack?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, (XBOX)Fluffywolf36 said:

That's why I (usually) headline the thread with the most recent concept - I feel like it gives people an impression of an ongoing thread.

Plus, well... I mean, I don't dislike the skipjack, but I feel like it's more unassuming than an autoshotgun. Let alone one full of as many gimmicks as the Cromlech.

P.S: "Skipjack" comes from back when I was skiing by lots of abandoned mining equipment at Park City. it's a trail name there, and it seemed like a Solaris name for some kind of computer bypass device or something, and by the time I hammered most of it out I hadn't thought of a better name and just rolled with it.

P.P.S: While we're here, what do you thnk of the skipjack?

It makes sense. I’d personally been starting to wonder if folks ever bothered pairing through my threadstrand nowadays or if they thought it was an undead concept thread dredged up from the depths like the beastframe or Henya strands. Perhaps I should try sometime.

That’s fair, in my time on here, everyone loves to fall in love with the next murder-kill-maim dozer of the highest efficiency. Your mindset is not without precedence.

Not unreasonable etymologically speaking! The wording in my own mind spoke to me as “SKIPping out on the middle-man and JACKing straight into the prize”.

OH, uh, alright! I’ll cut my chatter here (for both you and your poor audience, hehe) and, next message, I’ll hand you my full readout! Just need to dust out some cobwebs and grease some rusty gears.

Honestly didn’t know if you wanted the same ol clown popping up in your threadstrand over and over again!

Skipjack is a perfectly serviceable weapon. Its more of what I would have liked to have seen from the Solaris, i.e. weapons that are more than they seem in a sleek unassuming package. Stats are fairly close to the gaze, but with a little extra kick so that you can do more damage than with a regular beam. 

I think it's up to you on whether you should replace Cromlech. It's a very impressive weapon, but it might be better to replace it with your latest weapon considering that people might just think that people are replying and bumping the thread rather than you yourself creating new content. 

Either way, I will look on in admiration.

Edited by Teoarrk
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Unus said:

Not unreasonable etymologically speaking! The wording in my own mind spoke to me as “SKIPping out on the middle-man and JACKing straight into the prize”.

...Does it?! Huh. 

12 hours ago, Unus said:

Honestly didn’t know if you wanted the same ol clown popping up in your threadstrand over and over again!

Pfff, don't even trip, dawg. You know I love you. This thread wouldn't be what it is without you. I owe SO MUCH to your comments!

1 hour ago, Teoarrk said:

Its more of what I would have liked to have seen from the Solaris, i.e. weapons that are more than they seem in a sleek unassuming package

I feel like the best way to think of the Skipjack is... if all of the kitgun combos are Borderlands style weapons, the Skipjack is a legendary cause it has a custom-made skin and a unique, bizarre effect.

I wonder what else I could do that fits with how you wanted Solaris guns. I was gonna say "I had a Solaris rifle idea called the Projectron," but then I remembered that I cannibalized everything that was going to be the Projectron to make this pistol. The Projectron was going to be a Solaris laser weapon using a holoprojector, basically a Fallout New Vegas holorifle homage, but I was trying to use Penta and Plasmor parts to make it and I just couldn't make a silhouette I liked.

(I also did this because I just... didn't have many pistols... and I was like "eh, why not?")

Stats are fairly close to the gaze, but with a little extra kick so that you can do more damage than with a regular beam. 

Ideally, it'd fit into different niches than the Gaze,, cause it fires sort of like the Charge Rifle from Apex, so it has no "ramping" time. Also, I forgot to include a range limit, so I guess it doesn't  have one lol.

I always fail to explain how the Charge Rifle fires (does it even "charge" if it does damage immediately? Is it burstfire if it only consumes one ammo per shot?) so this video is here to sort of explain how the trigger works. Except, not quite cause the whole "ticks 15 times" thing seemed like a bad idea.

Spoiler

I think it's up to you on whether you should replace Cromlech. It's a very impressive weapon, but it might be better to replace it with your latest weapon considering that people might just think that people are replying and bumping the thread rather than you yourself creating new content. 

Hmmm. In that case, I'll probably replace it either in the next few days or when I post the next gun (it'll be a Tenno lever-action rifle).

• Like 1

On 2021-01-31 at 5:05 PM, (XBOX)Fluffywolf36 said:

Solaris United 'Skipjack' Pistol

Solaris United 'Skipjack' Beam Pistol

“A close cousin to Zuud’s kitguns, this heavy pistol is commonly utilized by both Jovian branches of Solaris United and Level Dawn. They’re comprised of three essential components - a computer hosting a botnet, a power source, and a combat-grade laser. The laser acts as a communication medium, uploading the systems of Proxies and other machinery with malicious code that turns once-loyal machinery against its masters.

It also mines cryptocurrency!”

Codex

Special Traits:

Hijack 
- killing an enemy with the “machinery” or “robotic” health types (and some others) inflicts Nyx’s Mind Control proc on them. This is affected by status duration mods. Also, enemies are not staggered by heat damage while under the effect of radiation procs from this weapon.
Burst Beam: Fires in two-round burst - sort of. First shot does three ticks of damage while acting similarly to a beam, second  one fires a much higher-intensity (and louder!) hitscan shot that does higher damage.

Lore

Since its inception on Venus, Solaris United spawned numerous adherents to its philosophy. From far-off Pluto, to Phobos, to the scavgang and water haulers of Europa, workers took up the stylized Anyo mask, claimed themselves to be Vox Solaris, spread their own teachings on the value of labor, and got to work sabotaging the wheels of Corpus industry. Many of them developed their own doctrines and techniques, the Jovian factions key among them.

Unlike the Venusian chapter of Solaris United, the Jovian Faction and its brothers in arms of Level Dawn - surrounded by and inundated with tech - often focus more heavily on hacking. Existing in a megastructure by automation, Cephalon Weave-derived networking, machinery with questionable security, and half-understood Orokin devices that leave massive security backdoors, a Jovian Solaris or Level Dawn operative can hold hundreds if not thousands hostage for the sake of their demands.

The Skipjack exists to put some of that power in the hands of someone who doesn’t understand computers. According to Level Dawn lore, its inception came when a Level Dawn “heavy” asked his group’s hacker “so why can’t you make a gun that does that?” after they hijacked a Bursa.

And after the mission, an engineer took that request seriously.

The Skipjack was the result. In concept, it’s extremely simple, composed of two main parts, a battery, and a pistol grip. A combat-grade laser is dialed down, (slightly) and then hooked up to a small computer loaded with viruses. The laser acts as a communications medium, uploading hostile code into a computer-controlled target. And, if there’s no computer, well...it does a considerable amount of status, heat, and radiation damage.

It fires somewhat like the Dziewannan ‘Dzida’ beam rifle. It does 3 ticks of damage from a beam, before firing a high-damage blast.

Contrary to popular belief, it can also affect Grineer and even Sentient computer systems. Kills with this weapon also increase the amount of credits dropped.

Enemies It Affects:

Enemies with Mechanical or Robotic health, such as Grineer Turrets, Corpus proxies, etc.
Infested Proxies - Mutalist Moas, ospreys, etc.
Sentients - but you need to kill them and this has only two damage types, so not a good idea.  Also, only one sentient can be mind controlled at a time.
It doesn’t affect Beacons. What would even be the point? 

STATS

Trigger: Burst(?)
Magazine: 16
Fire Rate: 11
Max Ammo: 240

Beam Attacks (fires immediately)

Ticks: 3
Damage per tick: 20
    14 Radiation
6 Heat
Critical Chance: 16%
Critical Multiplier: 2.0x
Punch-Through: 0.3m

Charged Attacks (fires after 3 ticks)

Damage: 80
56 Radiation
24 Heat
Critical Chance: 16%
Critical Multiplier: 2.0x
Punch-Through: 0.3m

Artist Notes

Fun fact: If this existed in another game, there’d be all kinds of functions you’d have. You’d be able to hijack cameras, remotely hack things, and… I don’t know, have a lot of programs you could “load” the gun with for various benefits. In fact, any users that aren’t Warframes have access to these!

...But this is Warframe. So you don’t. I didn’t mention it cause it just… didn’t seem relevant.

If ever there existed some time where that sort of thing would’ve been relevant compared to just killing them or blowing up the entire room, it sure as hell isn’t now. Plus, that’d be too much work for the devs to code when I know full well that I sure wouldn’t try and use an Osprey to imitate Crypto from Apex to do any recon. I’d just kill ‘em all!

Now, what’s the utility of this thing? Well, there’s… some pretty fun things you can do. You can turn enemy turrets like Grineer Akkalaks in the Kuva Fortress against your enemies, you can hijack Corpus and Infested proxies, and it also deals a lot of status. Enough that I made sure it did less DPS than the Sicarus Prime. The Sicarus Prime crits better, but this does… a lot of status. So much.

Originally I was gonna give this a blast radius, but… it’s meant to feel a little more subtle than my other offerings, if you just build it for all status it’ll be able to do... well, a lot of status, and half my recent offerings for pistols have a crowd-control element. I just didn’t see the point. 

Aaaanyway, I just felt like I needed to make something more focused on single targets here. Make it less samey.

Going down my list:

The art and textureing is, as always, topped off with a quality gleam, as you have continually shown me with each turn-in of content over the years.

Storywise, AHA, a settlement of Solaris in the vicinity of Jupiter, a likely origin of the “rail jockeys” we communicate with in orbit during our missions on Venus, lovely fleshing out there!

Functionality reminds me of my Athenos drill rifle with it’s conversion of enemy foes to personal control, albeit, here for machines as allies rather then puppeting a humanoid body directly, mixed in with a weeee bit of my Perrin Sequence unique weapon, though, again, the source of the profit differs here from using the stolen a.i.’s processes for bitmining as opposed to an anonymous bounty network for all manner of clientele.

The Sentient bit might be a weeee bit high-powered in my book, even with your stipulations. Personal opinion wants me to say that the effected Sentient should become a “third/fourth” party enemy on the battlefield that fights everyone there’s no Tenno to vent it’s madness on, but, that’s just me.

Statistically speaking:

Magazine Size has me curious, does it continue to fire in bursts even with the magazine size being unequal for it’s standard shot, or does each burst count as one shot, consuming the “round” in 1/3 intervals?

(Ah, I see now! Three ticks of Time-On-Target, then a hopeful coup-de-gra.)

Fire-rate has it seated on the higher end of things, but, not a limit breaker at all.

Ah, so each shot “lingers” a bit on target, pulsed laser style! I’ve done burst beams and lingering beams before, but, never in sympatico. Intriguing.

Damage is on the lower end of the registered scale, but, then, it’s not exactly made for it, is it? Heh, much like the Nukor, but, minus any unexpected inordinate other bonuses.

DEFINITELY a status weapon I see there, and with the ubiquitous punch through as well. “Beam gets strong enough to bypass thinner materials” my mind says.

Ah, alas, if only sir, if only. I could see some fun really niche material here like loading bypass cards into it and firing it at consoles in order to activate or bypass them from afar, but I understand the nicheness of it there.

I can certainly understand your thoughts on this particular weapon, a bit more “subtlety”to it then more bombastic recent designs (not meant as an insult, it’s just in their very nature.).

My personal thoughts align with Mr. Teoark’s on the thread-strand matter, but, as always, this is your slice of the forum pie!

12 hours ago, Unus said:

The art and textureing is, as always, topped off with a quality gleam, as you have continually shown me with each turn-in of content over the years.

Thanks =D

12 hours ago, Unus said:

Storywise, AHA, a settlement of Solaris in the vicinity of Jupiter, a likely origin of the “rail jockeys” we communicate with in orbit during our missions on Venus, lovely fleshing out there!

It felt kinda weird if Venus had the only chapter of them, so it made perfect sense. Plus, we know there's Solaris outside Venus, even if DE totally retconned them in. It's a headcanon of mine that they work on the Gas Cities, so it made sense :P

12 hours ago, Unus said:

Functionality reminds me of my Athenos drill rifle with it’s conversion of enemy foes to personal control, albeit, here for machines as allies rather then puppeting a humanoid body directly, mixed in with a weeee bit of my Perrin Sequence unique weapon, though, again, the source of the profit differs here from using the stolen a.i.’s processes for bitmining as opposed to an anonymous bounty network for all manner of clientele.

Ooh, I gotta take a look at those.  Those sound real interesting. Especially the Athenos!

I'm glad you and @Teoarrk haven't complained about it stepping on Nyx's toes. But then, I figured... well, even if Brozime gave Frost the same rating as Nyx on his roster tier list, it's not that bad, because who really cares about Nyx? I run into Frosts all the time, a hell of a lot more than Nyxes. 

12 hours ago, Unus said:

mixed in with a weeee bit of my Perrin Sequence unique weapon, though, again, the source of the profit differs here from using the stolen a.i.’s processes for bitmining as opposed to an anonymous bounty network for all manner of clientele.

The cryptocurrency thing was sort of a joke that I just couldn't resist, and it's also why  it has extra credit drops. :P The idea was "this is basically hacker culture, THE GUN"

12 hours ago, Unus said:

Ah, so each shot “lingers” a bit on target, pulsed laser style! I’ve done burst beams and lingering beams before, but, never in sympatico. Intriguing.

Like I said, it functions kinda like the Charge Rifle from Apex. Apologies if that sounds dismissive and aw, but it's important because I genuinely fail to describe how that thing works all the time XD Is it burst? Continuous? Charge? Can it be charge if it's those other two? I'unno.

13 hours ago, Unus said:

Damage is on the lower end of the registered scale, but, then, it’s not exactly made for it, is it? Heh, much like the Nukor, but, minus any unexpected inordinate other bonuses.

Is it? I saw it as more... deceptively high :P With the three ticks, it does 140 damage per shot. Figured that with it being so easy to give it >100% status, and base heat damage, that made up for giving it slightly lower damage than Sicarus Prime. 

13 hours ago, Unus said:

DEFINITELY a status weapon I see there, and with the ubiquitous punch through as well. “Beam gets strong enough to bypass thinner materials” my mind says.

Honestly, when I think about how many of my future guns require punch-through or have some kind of crowd control gimmick, I might take this stuff off.  The more I think about it, the less it totally "Fits" with what I was going for here.

If you're wondering what my immediate future plans are btw:

1. Remember that revolver that does explosions on headshots? I'm making a rifle version!
  2. A... "flamethrower."
  3. That one Tenno revolver I planned that's basically the HE. 44, non-sticky rounds will overpenetrate because.... it's a crowd control gun, I saw no reason not to.
  4. A Tenno revolver that's basically a Jakobs, and ricochets to enemies on headshots. Except successive hits will increase the number of enemies it ricochets to, and I figured "hey, this would be INSANE with punch-through." A miss with this thing will remove the whole counter, because... eh, it's a revolver, not an Amprex.
    1. The same but as an assault rifle. 
  5. Explosive semiauto rifle - think of it like a semiauto bolter.
  6. Grineer bolter pistol that.... well, you'll see. There's a couple funny gimmicks. Think of it like a bastardized version of the Sepulcrum. The burst will be a little less damaging, but with more status and a little less spread than the Sepulcrum. (I love the Sepulcrum, it is - without exaggeration - the fastest I've ever grown to love a new gun in this game)  but sometimes I just fire it and something about its accuracy feels questionable.)
  7. The pistolized opticor from awhile back.
  8. Entrati revolver that shoots explosive rounds.
  9. There's also a couple Dziewannan ideas. Nothing too solid.
  10. The BLYATIMATIC SMG, which... actually, either this or the lever-action rifle will come next, I haven't decided. It's got an underbarrel flaregun.
  11. There was also a silenced non-hitscan pistol idea that does guaranteed toxin damage.
  12. A Grineer LMG designed by someone that greatly misunderstood the definition of "Suppressing fire."

So out of everything, that's only the last three that don't need or require punch-through. And even out of those, only the last two that don't have some kind of radial damage. 

Eh, removing the punch-through. Gotta space it out a bit.

13 hours ago, Unus said:

I can certainly understand your thoughts on this particular weapon, a bit more “subtlety”to it then more bombastic recent designs (not meant as an insult, it’s just in their very nature.).

Sometimes - not always, but sometimes - it's almost therapeutic for me to make something pretty normal. It's the entire reason the Fedorova exists :P

tenno__fedorova__automatic_rifle_by_fluf

• Like 2

Welcome sir! Hope it doesn’t seem like I’m blowing smoke up your rear end, facts be facts.

Heh, heck, could be a fun expansion in-universe, convoys that cross the system and give resource multipliers to enemies at their arrival sites. Back in the day, I had the exact same idea with my time working on my Earth open-world, but that was much more indirect with investing in the matron to pull strings. Guarding Jovian resource convoys in a ship of our own to a destination is FAR beyond what I could have thought of back in those days!

I mean, sir, I’ve created an entire weapon that was meant to be a swordflesh gun purpose built to allow a wielder to wield the powers of a Nyx in a projectile format. Would be the pig iron pot calling the pig iron kettle black on my part to do that!

Heh, forgive me for being so literal-minded in my thinking then Mr. Wolf! Then again, some jokes taken straight have created great things in the past.

Hm. . . that gun from Titanfall, right? I think that things uh. . . memory says it’s a charged blast right? Kinda like the Halo particle launcher from the 4th game? 

Dem, I thought I gave myself enough thinking time for this, it slipped my mind that this was a burstigun! Consarnit!

All up to you suh, it’s your design in that department for you to tweak.

Personal opinion on that selection in my mind aims at the “pseudo-Jakobs” that you have in mind. Perhaps as a scale-down of the Zenith, no infinite punch-through, but, with the exchanged bonus being that it’ll go for other heads?

Heh, ALL creation is therapeutic for me, but, I can FULLY comprehend working on something that comes easy to you, as opposed to breaking your stage-neck doing mental olympics in order to push something out.

Edited by Unus
Goddem it, sorry about the chatter-flood. . .

4 hours ago, Unus said:

Goddem it, sorry about the chatter-flood. . .

dood, you never have to apologize for giving feedback here. 

4 hours ago, Unus said:

Heh, heck, could be a fun expansion in-universe, convoys that cross the system and give resource multipliers to enemies at their arrival sites. Back in the day, I had the exact same idea with my time working on my Earth open-world, but that was much more indirect with investing in the matron to pull strings. Guarding Jovian resource convoys in a ship of our own to a destination is FAR beyond what I could have thought of back in those days!

...that sounds hella dope.

4 hours ago, Unus said:

Heh, forgive me for being so literal-minded in my thinking then Mr. Wolf! Then again, some jokes taken straight have created great things in the past.

Eh, don't even trip, dawg. It really does work that way, you took it literally because it was pretty literal. I just mean it was a joke because I thought "a gun that mines cryptocurrency is hilarious."

4 hours ago, Unus said:

Dem, I thought I gave myself enough thinking time for this, it slipped my mind that this was a burstigun! Consarnit!

Don't even trip, dawg. It happens. I was... pretty surprised myself to find out that the Apex Legends version was changed so radically from the Titanfall version. The Titanfall one is unique cause it has no scope, but you're using it against targets that are so huge they're genuinely hard to miss, so it's more like an antimateriel rifle. Or the Opticor, now that I think about it. The muzzle even reminds me of an Opticor sometimes. Meanwhile, the Apex version is.... you're engaging pretty small targets from far away and it's the only hitscan gun in the game, so they made it sort of burstfire to be more forgiving for everyone involved.

There's this weird sort of issue with the Charge Rifle from the main Titanfall games where it feels weirdly... too precise for its own good? Like there's so little "carrying" it, and you have to stay on target while holding the trigger, there doesn't feel like there's a lot of aim assist, and I don't have a scope to zoom in...

I sound like I'm S#&$-talking the Charge Rifle at this point, and I'm not, it's actually my most-used anti-Titan gun, (I don't like the homing rocket launcher very much, but there's this one gun, the Thunderbolt, that's basically a plasmor as a rocket launcher, it's awesome) but I feel like the Apex version is more fun to use against human targets.

...I also added punchthrough and AoE last time I did that because I just really wanted it to feel less like a sniper rifle and more of a sniper BFG. You know what I mean?

5 hours ago, Unus said:

All up to you suh, it’s your design in that department for you to tweak.

Trust me, I'm not seeing myself as having to "cave" by doing this. It's more like "Eh, it doesn't need it, and the punch-through makes it feel less like a comms laser." Don't even trip, dawg!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_communication_in_space
(Yes, there's actual background to the idea of this being a laser comms device lol)

5 hours ago, Unus said:

Personal opinion on that selection in my mind aims at the “pseudo-Jakobs” that you have in mind. Perhaps as a scale-down of the Zenith, no infinite punch-through, but, with the exchanged bonus being that it’ll go for other heads?

That could be an interesting idea... can you expand on this one? 

Cause the original idea is that the revolver version (the Rakshasa, because that sounds vaguely like the word "Ricochet," also it'll look like a flintlock revolver) is kind of like the Depezador, just with no shotgun mode and instead of using a combo to build up single-target damage, uses the combo to build up crowd control.

2003_CKS_06701_0231_000(061529).jpg?mode

/\the main reference for the Rakshasa. I'm struggling to make the rifle's design work, but I think I'm onto something by asking myself "What if I upsized Malcolm Reynolds' gun into a full-size rifle?"

I've got two drawings of that one (I'll post em later) and for some reason, the one without a long barrel just feels better. I don't quite know why, I want the thing to emphasize precision, but something about making it too long just feels weird.

5 hours ago, Unus said:

Heh, ALL creation is therapeutic for me, but, I can FULLY comprehend working on something that comes easy to you, as opposed to breaking your stage-neck doing mental olympics in order to push something out.

It's... well, kinda like the game itself. Sometimes after all the struggles, all the grind, all the somewhat self-imposed jobification of the game, (I don't care if "jobification" is being read as a mispelling or something, I am going to use it) all you really want is to just... do something normal and relax. Sometimes, I just.... enjoy doing missions to feel unstoppable. You know what I mean?

Roger dodger then sir. Forgive the. . . forgiveness? Shoot!

AH! I’d completely forgotten Apex was set in a later-developed Titanfall universe, to say nothing of being aware of a new model of charge rifle! Feeling VERY old now, hehe.

I also get it sir, I’ve done the same to several of my weapons in the past. In my mind, it mirrors the idea of several exotic weapons here in Warframe using sniper ammunition packs, but, not being snipers in and of themselves.

Heh, Solarin ingenuity there. The Venusians make their weapons in modular pieces that are easy to make and hide, the Jovian take tools and workplace equipment and “tune” them for. . . “work-extraneous activities”.

Well, uh, I guess to expand upon the idea as it appeared in my mind, the idea would be that the pistol holds a “ballistic drone” form of ammunition, with a highly compressed and dense body for piercing tough material and a means of thrust to keep the round going rather then stopping in the target. Vulnerability shots on units of the roughly same type feed telemetric data to the other rounds in the magazine regarding material density and “paths of least resistance” pushing through the target, meaning that subsequent vulnerability shots allow a round to penetrate completely through the vulnerable area and redirect themselves towards the vulnerability areas of similar units nearby.

Example? You score a headshot on a grineer lancer. The second headshot has the round push through the head of the lancer at the next nearest lancer, the third shot does the same, but, to one more lancer in the room. On the fourth shot, you miss and the learning program crashes back to square one. The rounds have some punch-through on their own, but, it’s not like, say, the Zenith’s ability to completely bypass any and all walls as long as they can be seen on the launched sensor, just enough to get through a shielder’s shield and into his brainpan.

That make sense?

Ah, going for a bit of a demonic name-scheme for this one, for the chaos spirits of Indian mythology? Heh, could be as much the name for the ammo as it is for the gun itself.

What’s making the rifle go awry for you?

Heh, a bit of a difference in my enjoyment in acquiring resources and using them for a goal, but, the idea of sitting back and relaxing a bit, say, stripmining the Plains bit by bit, or lining up juuuussstttt the right shot on that bolarolla coming up the hill amidst the chilly whisper of snowfall on Venus, I think we reach the same end state of blissful “doing things”.

8 hours ago, Unus said:

What’s making the rifle go awry for you?

Nothing, really. I'm just bemused that something I envisioned as requiring such accuracy just feels better when I make it look shorter and heavier.

I'll respond to the rest and post the different versions later.

8 hours ago, (XBOX)Fluffywolf36 said:

Nothing, really. I'm just bemused that something I envisioned as requiring such accuracy just feels better when I make it look shorter and heavier.

Hm. . . perhaps the solidness and heaviness could play into the accuracy aspect? It stays on target and fights recoil not because of any sophisticated kickback or stabilization system, it’s just so goddem bulky and thick that you just can’t feel any of it, and the effort it takes to point and shoot it means you would have to actively sabotage yourself in order to miss. Make sense?

12 hours ago, Unus said:

Hm. . . perhaps the solidness and heaviness could play into the accuracy aspect? It stays on target and fights recoil not because of any sophisticated kickback or stabilization system, it’s just so goddem bulky and thick that you just can’t feel any of it, and the effort it takes to point and shoot it means you would have to actively sabotage yourself in order to miss. Make sense?

...Yeah, that makes sense!

This is an early version of drawing btw, it's inspired by Malcolm Reynolds' gun and the Heavy Assault Rifle from Outer Worlds.

Not sure if it loads like a regular assault rifle with a box mag, or if it loads through the top like an M1 Garand. It's called the Jubal. I don't know why, but adding... about 3-5 inches more of barrel just makes it look weird to me.

Filename by Fluffywolf36

On 2021-02-06 at 4:08 PM, Unus said:

Heh, Solarin ingenuity there. The Venusians make their weapons in modular pieces that are easy to make and hide, the Jovian take tools and workplace equipment and “tune” them for. . . “work-extraneous activities”.

That, and I figure since the Jovians are more industrialized and have much more Corpus industry and civilization than Venus, there's more of a "civilian" population, and the Jovians can have a larger impact by shutting off a system here or there or using hacktivism.

...I think I want to integrate that into a future lore entry somehow. Perhaps one for Level Dawn.

Give me a mo...

Codex: Faction: Level Dawn

Formed from destitute workers fleeing the war zones of Mars and Phobos, from Solaris native to the Jovians, intellectuals, those considered heretics before the Temple of Profit, and the destitute workers who found themselves trapped in the chasms within Corpus society, Level Dawn is often seen by Corpus oligarchs and barons as interchangeable with Solaris United.

Level Dawn members, while considering themselves comrades with the Solaris, take exception to this. While Solaris want worker's rights, Level Dawn want more. They see the Corpus way of life as an exploitative, uncaring machine that chokes the life out of all but a privileged few, and seek the complete overthrow of the Corpus board, demanding a radical redistribution of wealth, the abolition of for-profit security services employed by corporations within Corpus space, and the creation of a state where the workers and their chosen government control the means of production, as opposed to a system where the means of production is the government.

"The temple of profit does not worship advancement - it worships your oppression, your pain, your exploitation. It forces you to see work as its own good, with things like pay and enjoyment secondary. From how the overseers and taxmen say it, they'd have you believe all civilization will collapse if you take a bathroom break.

Why is this?

In the days of the Red Orbit, the Collapse, the Thaw, whatever you call it, that was true. There were days where our ancestors huddled for warmth on ships and in the shadows of terraforming towers, all of which ran on half-remembered technology. Days when those with the Terminal Genes grew older and weaker, where the slightest mechanical failure could doom hundreds. Hunger, starvation, frostbite, asphyxiation - those were our enemies, then. Then, when we began to thrive, it became the barbarians and petty tyrants around the gas giants and clustering within the few uninfested Orokin derelicts. Then, in recent centuries, our enemy was the Grineer. Then, today? The Infested. The Tenno. The renegade Grineer, and relics of Orokin cruelty like the Glassmaker.

The Corpus need an external enemy, a predator to scare you into falling in line. As long as you live in fear of that enemy, you'll submit to Corpus authority - and never live a day in your life."

--Sylvo Marcus, Level Dawn Organizer.

They have mixed feelings on the existence of the Ganymede Free Moon. On the one hand, it's a very socialistic state, with a social security net, where the government owns most corporations. On the other hand, it's seen as too Corpus-like by some of the more radical members of Level Dawn. 

Tenno 'Vernal' Lever-Action Rifle

tenno__vernal__lever_action_rifle_by_flu

“One of the highest points of Haruka Lorne’s craftsmanship, this lever-action rifle was created using parts from the Makina and Naga revolvers. The resulting creation fires silently if you pace your shots, and causes explosions on headshots. Two inscriptions scratched into the barrel read “For The Great Hunt” and “End The Long Winter.” Few records of these terms exist, and check your Leverian Entry for Gagarin, Tenno, I’m sure you’ll find it enlightening.”

--Codex

SPECIAL TRAITS
Integral Suppressor - Waiting 0.8 seconds between shots will silence the next shot fired. This is represented by a charge-like icon visible in the reticle. Even when zoomed in.
Brainstormer: On headshots, release radiation damage equal to 40% of headshot damage in a 3.2m radial explosion. 
Hunter’s grip: headshot kills and stealth kills turn you invisible.
Holosights: Tap altfire for increased zoom, which takes the form of an orange holographically projected sight that works similarly to ironsights in a first-person shooter. This also shows a graphic of the weapon silencing itself.

Lore

The last weapon Haruka Lorne created before the Tenno went into cryosleep. This Tenno rifle was built from spare parts for Naga and Makina revolvers, and as such it combines their most unusual traits into one high-powered package. Pacing your shots will silence it, and headshots release massive explosions of radiation damage. Like the Naga, it also comes with increased zoom - though in the form of tiny orange holographic sights that act much like traditional, non-technological iron sights. 

Everything about it compared to the Tenno arsenal is strange.  It was a rather unexpected creation for Lorne, who was well-known for preferring fast-firing longarms and slow, powerful sidearms. On paper, it doesn’t even seem to have a solid or necessary role in the Tenno arsenal - it’s not a DMR like the Latron Wraith, Veldt, or Ostium, because it’s not semiauto and has tiny magazine capacity. But it’s not a sniper. In fact,  it uses rifle ammo and it doesn’t have a scope. Instead, it has  an orange holographically projected sight that works similarly to ironsights in a first-person shooter. Similar to the lever-action rifle from Apex, there's a "charge" graphic that shows something increasing - in this case, the integrity of the weapon's sielncer.

Where this rifle truly shines, however, is in assassination. The lever can be manipulated slowly, to silently chamber a round*, and combined with its silencer and its ability to turn its users invisible, it allows a Tenno to silently slaughter the population of an entire outpost without ever being seen. Even its lack of a scope can be an advantage - this provides users ample peripheral vision, allowing them to quickly pick out targets at close to medium range. While it’s slower-firing and has a small magazine,

It uses a tube magazine that can be fed through a simple speedloader, similar to the kind used by the Oribi shotgun.

Much like the Makina, it takes inspiration from traditional Oeizu aesthetics, with its long, sweeping curves and rounded exterior and rounded, silvery decorations. It’s lost to history why Haruka Lorne took such interest in this culture, specifically, but it’s far from the only example of her taking an interest in them.

Records differ on whether the first Vernal rifles were produced before or after the Red Orbit, when the Tenno and some of their non-Tenno acolytes slaughtered the Orokin en masse. However, the Vernal was not named by Haruka Lorne herself.

That honor likely goes to a Bidanian Theist by the name of Yesha Szalm, the first person recorded as calling it a Vernal, and the first non-Tenno recorded as owning one. 

For some reason, most of the first Vernals were given en masse to Bidanian theists - not any of the simpler rifles like the Burston or Braton or Fedorova - and as such the Bidanians see the Vernal as something not unlike a holy object. Alongside the Tenno, the Vernal rifle was used to cut a bloody, slightly radioactive swathe through the ranks of the Orokin elite, with Tenno, Bidanian and even some Tenno acolyte squads silently ripping apart legions of Dax with this weapon.

To this day, those few Vernals that survive from the years of the Red Orbit are seen as priceless relics, and Bidanians use them to cull Corrupted enemies during their Festival of Makabi. Still others circulate among black markets in Corpus space, a prized weapon for gangsters and their hitmen.

*This is a total non-factor in gameplay. I just wrote this in for flavor reasons.

Comparisons

Prisma Grinlok - the Vernal does very slightly more damage on body shots, but it has a little bit less slash. It’s also got a smaller mag. Where the vernal really shines is in headshot damage. Which, in a strange way, gives it far better crowd control.
Naga Revolver: Assuming all shots crit, this actually crits better. Especially when scoped. Weird, huh?

STATS

Ammo pool: Rifle
Fire Rate: 2
Magazine: 10+1
Reload Time: 2.1s

Normal attacks 

Damage: 192
80 Puncture
64 Slash
32 Radiation
16 Impact
Headshot Multiplier: 2.1x

Critical Chance: 30%
Critical Multiplier: 3.0x
Status Chance: 30%

Radial attacks

Damage: 330 Radiation
Radius: 2.7m
Critical Chance: 30%
Critical Multiplier: 3.0x

Artist Notes

Funnily enough, this thing actually predates the release of the lever-action rifle in Apex Legends. But I did start coloring this thing when I found out it was released, so it's not like the 30-30 had no influence. Speaking of which, this is why it has 30 status and 30 crit - because, while making this weapon, I couldn't resist having the number 30 in it twice in quick succession.

For some reason, I was stuck on the idea of a silenced lever-action - and merging the idea behind two of my revolvers, the Makina and the Naga, into one rifle. The Makina creates radioactive explosions on headshots, meanwhile the Naga is a larger-caliber gas-seal scoped hunting revolver that’s silenced if you wait 0.8 seconds between shots. You can see some similarities in that this is essentially a L O N G Makina with the color scheme of the Naga.

I’m not… I’m not making this into a pistol. It’d invalidate them both, it’s just not a good idea. 

The Makina’s essentially a raygun gothic revolver, and the genesis of this came when I thought “hey, what about a lever-action raygun gothic weapon?”

Which is funny, because anyone who knows my playstyle in Warframe knows that I gravitate towards automatic weapons like the Soma Prime, Sobek, Buzlok, Prisma Gorgon, and Kuva Quartakk, with some outliers in the Corinth Prime and Strun Wraith. I enjoy the Latron Wraith a lot for some reason (probably my ridiculous redcrit riven) but I just don’t use it that often. So a lot of the synopsis for this is just me mocking the fact that this is an archetype I’m relatively unlikely to use. Though if this was canon, I’d probably have a lot of fun with it. Probably climb up the ranks of my favorite weapons fast.

Raygun gothic, by the way, is the aesthetic of the “oeizu” people I mentioned awhile back. The idea behind the Oeizu is that they’re nomadic and mutated by exposure to low-gravity, much like the Belters from The Expanse, and they’re mostly nomadic, existing in the lowest-gravity habitats and traversing the system on ancient ships. 

I’ve toyed with including them in my Warframe fan thread, but I just haven’t felt it yet. That thread… I already diverge a lot from canon. I already make up my own lore. I already include new factions, characters, events, terms, et cetera. Though who knows, maybe the Oeizu are all dead at this point, because I just said they existed at the same time as the Orokin. Oeizu, by the way, is a corruption of the ancient name “Outer System Union.”

It’s just that I’m used to being the kind of person that uses their fandom as a springboard into warping it into something else, and I don’t want the thread’s lore to get so 3deep5me that it crushes my love of Warframe. My love of this game is… already on a precipice compared to MLP, which will always be a treasure to me because of the plushie right next to me now. For some reason her face is the perfect shape to rest against mine. Whoever designed that deserves a raise.

Maybe, in time, I will do that. Or maybe I’ll just make something raygun gothic for the hell of it.

...That got heavier than I would have liked.
  • Like 3