Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cetus Colony name: Loving this level of nerd <3

InquisitorMaximus

I just realize that the Cetus' colony name is an Easter Egg-ish (at least for me):

It is unclear to which Tau System the Sentients were sent by the Orokin (in astronomy the stars of a constellation are named using the Greek alphabet, with the visually brightest being usually "alpha" and going downward in the scale; Tau being he 19th letter of the Greek alphabet, so any constellation with 19 stars or more will have -potentially- a Tau Star with a consequential Tau System).

It has being speculated for quite a long time that the Tau System mentioned in the Warframe lore is Tau Ceti, because there has been evidence of possibly five planets orbiting Tau Ceti, with two of these being potentially in the habitable zone. Now Tau Ceti is located in the Cetus Constellation (the whale constellation), hence the name Tau Ceti (Tau star at Cetus).   :community:

I love with all my heart when DE is this level of nerd :nerd:

Edited by RubenRosas

2 minutes ago, motorfirebox said:

I've always been highly skeptical of the Tau Ceti thing. The Tau system is supposed to be centered around a blue star; Tau Ceti isn't blue. 

Maybe the star turned blue at some point like in that sh*tty sci-fi movie were teenagers get turned into the bicentennial man by a radio frequency.

41 minutes ago, motorfirebox said:

I've always been highly skeptical of the Tau Ceti thing. The Tau system is supposed to be centered around a blue star; Tau Ceti isn't blue. 

Indeed, Tau Ceti is G8.5 V in the Hertzsprung–Russell diagram; actually it because it is in a similar spectral type with the local star, Tau Ceti was selected as a "Tier 1" target star for NASA's SIM.

Why the Tau System's star should be a blue one? 

40 minutes ago, Nazrethim said:

Maybe the star turned blue at some point like in that sh*tty sci-fi movie were teenagers get turned into the bicentennial man by a radio frequency.

This is somehow possible, Blue Stars can be in a wide variety of stages of their lives but all are "evolved stars" that have largely exhausted their hydrogen supplies, this is a cause-effect relation for the color, are blue because those stars are super hot, a huge mass means that the stars "burn" more fuel and becomes hotter, any star with 10 times the mass of the Local Star is going to appear blue to our eyes, but that also complicates the habitability of the system for life as we experience it here on Earth.

28 minutes ago, motorfirebox said:

I love it!!!, and I think that piece of lore can accommodate a G8.5 V without much problem, what if the Orokin traveled to Tau Ceti expecting it to be habitable and found the star unable to sustain human life due to the actions of the newly sentient :v

[I'm almost positive this has been widely discussed because is quite easy to grasp from that entry]: The warframes were created to fight against the Sentient, since inboard the space ship is "A Tenno inside its Warframe" (old piece of lore) that means that the Sentient invasion is ongoing and the attempt to flee from the Sol System might be directed to a system different from the Tau System; after all the Sentientes were sent to the Tau System to prepare it to receive the Orokin colonizers but probably the Sentients failed or "decided" to not complete the task, changing their directives and turning against humanity. I think this is at least a possibility =P 

infact ... i believe they choose the word "Cetus" have more based on the meaning of the word being "Whale" than named after a constellation. They want to connect the people of Cetus harvesting orokin .. meat with us harvesting oil from whales in the 19 century.

Beside, the place locate on ... Earth, so it don't really make sense for the name to be a costellation, i think (we see the moon :3 )

6 minutes ago, FireSegment said:

infact ... i believe they choose the word "Cetus" have more based on the meaning of the word being "Whale" than named after a constellation. They want to connect the people of Cetus harvesting orokin .. meat with us harvesting oil from whales in the 19 century.

Beside, the place locate on ... Earth, so it don't really make sense for the name to be a costellation, i think (we see the moon :3 )

You are right, the Cetus Colony is 100% located on Earth, there is no way the selection of the name is related to the location of the colony itself. 

That's why I mentioned that the selection of the name was kind of an Easter Egg or even a wink if you prefer connected to the lore we have regarding the Sentient and the colonization of the Tau System. 

Regarding the connection of Tenno/Cetus inhabitants with whale harvesters from the XIX Century, it is hard to grasp for me (personal perception) outside some aspects of the aesthetics :]

18 minutes ago, RubenRosas said:

You are right, the Cetus Colony is 100% located on Earth, there is no way the selection of the name is related to the location of the colony itself. 

That's why I mentioned that the selection of the name was kind of an Easter Egg or even a wink if you prefer connected to the lore we have regarding the Sentient and the colonization of the Tau System. 

Regarding the connection of Tenno/Cetus inhabitants with whale harvesters from the XIX Century, it is hard to grasp for me (personal perception) outside some aspects of the aesthetics :]

oh well ... different ppl connecting it to different things it seem (like i have no idea that a constellation was involve before this thread), funny thing is that both explanation are equally valid.

but if DE do take inspiration from whale harvesting, we could have a lot of interesting self-destructiveness theme lore/story for the people of Cetus that could relate back to the whale harvesting being a bad practice and depending on un-renewable resource. (but ... they probably not have time for it, i should not get too hype ...)