Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Make autodoors work more naturally in high-latency situations

Praxxor

The way it's set up right now (As far as I understand) is that the doors open up automatically if a player (or an NPC) is within an X meter radius. But in case of latencies higher than about 150ms you can actually hug the door before it opens.

My proposition is this, make the auto-open area scale with the worst latency in squad for clients ONLY.

For example, if it takes approximately Y seconds to pass from the end of the autoopen area to the actual door (say, value X in meters), then at any Z (in seconds) highest latency X/Y=X2/(Y+Z) where X2 is the new automatically generated range for the automatic doors for clients.

Tell me if there's anything wrong with my logic please.

I propose an alternative solution which can also be included; adding smaller, hand-sized terminals next to every door. If the door doesn't open, you can interact with the button and it'll open, if its not blanked out, inaccessible (red), or locked down (yellow/orange/if the Lockdown effect is still at play).

In extension, the code you suggested to auto-modify door opening times/speeds could be adapted to modify enemy troop formation, positioning, and actions.

Just now, Koldraxon-732 said:

I propose an alternative solution which can also be included; adding smaller, hand-sized terminals next to every door. If the door doesn't open, you can interact with the button and it'll open, if its not blanked out, inaccessible (red), or locked down (yellow/orange/if the Lockdown effect is still at play).

In extension, the code you suggested to auto-modify door opening times/speeds could be adapted to modify enemy troop formation, positioning, and actions.

Yeah that could work too but I meant this to improve movement fluidity, it'd not work as well if you had to stop for a button anyways.

Just now, Praxxor said:

Yeah that could work too but I meant this to improve movement fluidity, it'd not work as well if you had to stop for a button anyways.

You have a good point, but in the event the code doesn't work or the latency is so bad that the door can't adapt to open at all, then the button should exist just in case such a thing happens.

Just now, Koldraxon-732 said:

You have a good point, but in the event the code doesn't work or the latency is so bad that the door can't adapt to open at all, then the button should exist just in case such a thing happens.

Yeah and most doors have a button on the side anyways, they could implement it for those at least.

3 hours ago, Hecro said:

This relies, still, on your latency.

Then next to those terminals will be smaller, thumb-sized terminals.

More seriously, this ignores what's actually happening and gameplay elements can't do anything about it. Doors that have yet to be opened act as curtains to hide the bits of the map that haven't needed to be loaded. You can walk through them as a client, you may not find anything on the other side til the Host "gets" that you went through the door.

5 hours ago, Praxxor said:

5 hours ago, Hecro said:

This relies, still, on your latency.

2 hours ago, peterc3 said:

Then next to those terminals will be smaller, thumb-sized terminals...

Then the buttons I proposed would serve the same purpose as that of every pedestrian crossing button in existence.

If any of you know of HK-47 from Star Wars, I will be using his voice for the following thing in the spoilers.
Scenario: 

Spoiler

The mission is very laggy, doors have stopped opening fast enough and you're stuck.

You press the conveniently placed button, expecting the door to open. Instead, the same display as a Grineer hack puzzle appears (albeit with simpler, white lines), which replicates a typical loading icon seen on videos like the ones on YouTube when the video freezes or lags.

Sarcasm; After waiting for about five seconds, the door opens, to reveal that a Balor Fomorian blew that entire section of the ship. You are forced into your Archwing, and have to get to the other side and get the mission finished!

Correction; the door opens, after waiting about another five seconds, to find that the room had been swept clean. Except for the corpses of fallen enemies, and that your squad got stuck behind the next door and is waiting for you.