Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Make The Parkour more fun again

Pixyr

Since parkour 2.0, I've felt the movement has been less imaginative.

For example:

Get to a higher level: Bullet jump

Move fast to an objective: Bullet jump

Move through a group of enemies: Bullet jump

The list goes on, and most answers will lead to the one apparent.

What is really good about 2.0 is the simplicity, of course. There is nothing you can't do with a bullet jump and wall latch(which is nice), but takes away the use most of the remaining mechanics.

I'm not saying we should remove the system, but refine it and find new ways to scale an obstacle. 

The fact that Zephyr could fly was awesome, only to have everyone basically flying anyway few huge updated later. 

Movement-frames could be made cool again. Let Vauban be of more use for his team. 

All these thoughts and ideas have flaws, and that's why we shall make this a team effort. Help me out with discerning what would be cool or out of the question!

Edit: Hello once again

I've read through the existing comment's and I'm really happy for all different thoughts. 

When I said refine the system, I didn't mean to completely overhaul it. Only to try and find more ways to use your movement, other than bullet jumping (and of course rolling mid-air, melee mid-air, sliding, doublejumping etc.). 

What I mean is that there is always a way to make the system even more fun to use and learn. Tilesets could also have the focus instead of the movement, building out on what already exists and make it more challenging and daring when it comes to making fast dashes across an area.

(MOAR examples)

Make me actually want to use the wall latch for stealth kills, more often than never. (All these wall latch extending mods for nothing as it feels)

Have some tilesets (maybe even set as a special mission or alert) be more aimed towards movement, speed, and precision. 

It could be a sabotage mission, where when you destory thereactor onsay a ship, your only escape is through a large tunnel littered with scraps and floor as lava (LAVA :D)

Let the course make you remember and learn the differnt chain of combos you need in order to exract before timer runs out and the ship explodes. 

Like: Jump over huge gap, instantly start gliding under a pipe, only to double jump over another one the second later.  ( It could make for rng courses so it doesn't repeat the same obstacle in the same order, mission after mission) 

This could also create time trials for obstacle courses outside of the dojo, and not the same, abused course over and over again.

Edited by Pixyr

Except that if you're only using Bullet Jumping alone, you're not moving nearly as fast as you could potentially be moving.  In addition, a player's mobility is at its absolute best when they're combining every current facet of Parkour 2.0 together as necessary while moving through the environment.  Slide boosting, rolling, wall-hop chains, and bullet jumping are all important parts of the same system.  The interesting ways that they can be tied together are part of what makes Warframe a more unique shooter game compared to the staggeringly large number of shooter games that exist in this day and age.

Zephyr could easily be changed to actually have relevance in this system without the need to unnecessarily break other parts of the game.  Expand her air superiority by allotting her an infinite number of double jumps, and allow her to have let's say 10 bullet jumps per instance of being airborn without the need to reset bullet jump count by doing a wall jump, or landing.  Granting her those two benefits in addition to her current passive.  This suddenly gives her the highest air mobility of all frames period, as well as removing the need for her outdated 1.

Rather than break the entire rest of the system for the sake of one oudated frame, bring that frame's mechanics up to date with the mechanics and accentuate options.

Vauban's Bounce pad was never useful for movement options.  It always was and always will be nothing more than an exceptionally funny CC option for when hard stuns get a bit droll.

9 minutes ago, Bobtm said:

Zephyr could easily be changed to actually have relevance in this system without the need to unnecessarily break other parts of the game.  Expand her air superiority by allotting her an infinite number of double jumps, and allow her to have let's say 10 bullet jumps per instance of being airborn without the need to reset bullet jump count by doing a wall jump, or landing.  Granting her those two benefits in addition to her current passive.  This suddenly gives her the highest air mobility of all frames period, as well as removing the need for her outdated 1.

Would be nice if her 1 also lifted enemies up in the air and dealt two instances of damage: when they are lifted they take Slash damage (flat damage) and when landing take additional Impact damage (health %). Dive Bomb also pulling nearby airborne enemies to the ground vastly increasing the damage they take on making contact to the ground. Then replace those sh*tty small tornadoes with a huge ars tornado that gets all enemies caught in tumbling trough the air, taking Slash damage constantly and more Impact damage whenever they collide with another enemy or terrain, also allow Zephyr free flight inside the big tornado.

5 minutes ago, Bobtm said:

-snip-

Yeah I have to agree. I've been thinking as well about some nice features Zephyr could have to make them more advantageous in terms of mobility. I always thought it would be pretty neat to choose between different modes of aim gliding. Hover - Fall slower when aim gliding but movement speed is also slowed, Mobile - Falling speed is same as normal but your movement speed while gliding is improved greatly. Those options you mentioned about double bullet jumping whilst in mid-air would greatly help as well. It would really make the Zephyr so much fun to play and it would stand out from the rest.

In regards to the parkour system as a whole, I agree the slide boost, bullet jump, roll, aim glide combos are a great technique to move through areas at super speeds. I also remember one of the reasons the system was changed was because the movement seemed too jittery and didn't really flow well together when combining movements together - especially at sharp turns and intersecting walls. So I like the way it is at the moment. The only gripe I have with it is that we move so fast sometimes we skip past something interesting or don't really give the enemy AI time to do much. If there's anything to be revised it would be that.

You want help to "rethink" Movement to be more fun"?

Not happening by the End of 2017 without the Community coming together. And DE finding time to work on this "Parkkour3.0".

.o.o Depend on what kind of System you were thinking.               As far WarFrame is based of:  Space Ninja.(Warrior?)

I think you want the Movement and Combat to be more Smoother? (Real Time, FASTER PACE?)   Yeah, my Friend, said it also has to do with Frame-Per-Second.

Spoiler

EDITS:

PS. What I have Operator's Movement would based of:

DE keeping balancing between "Fun" and "Ninja". Just enough "Realism" to not damage the Fun?

3 hours ago, Nazrethim said:

Would be nice if her 1 also lifted enemies up in the air and dealt two instances of damage: when they are lifted they take Slash damage (flat damage) and when landing take additional Impact damage (health %).

Look at Ash's 4.

Edited by DesFrSpace

To be fair, back in Parkour 1.0 we had the exact same thing, but instead of Bullet Jump, it was Coptering. 

For example:

Get to a higher level: Coptering

Move fast to an objective: Coptering

Move through a group of enemies: Coptering

And Zephyr not being the only one flying after Parkour 2.0? I remember other warframes flying with the Tipedo way before 2.0...

That said, I wouldn't mind new parkour mechanics, but I do get that it takes alot of time for the developers to make something like this, so I don't see anything like Parkour 3.0 coming anytime Soon™

Honestly, I don't think the problem is in the parkour system itself. You can do pretty much anything you might ever need to be mobile. I see the issue in the tile sets them selves.

There's no need to wall latch most of the time, because you almost always have a floor under you from which you can just bullet jump from. There is little need to run on walls for the same reason. There is no need to jump from wall to wall because almost every area is accessible by a single bullet jump or a bullet jump and double jump.

So we have the tools to move around, but the map design usually doesn't give much reason to use these tools. You can still use these tools to further increase the speed at which you travel through the map, but usually, past rushing through, there is little need to use more than bullet jump and roll.