Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Who has gotten by on the F2P model?

Spartan336

I lasted 11 days before spending money. I got 75% discount for the 11th day reward, so i spent 22€ on plat. Being able to have slots, potato your warframes and prefered weapons and buy the odd part or mod you want for  your build is game changer.

This lets me build a stack of current items for future vaultings without need to constantly farm and sell, strugling for space or credits (trade taxes seem really high for a new player). I wonder how many hours of my life i saved spending those 22€, probably hundreds, so its money well spent.

The game is not really free to play, and for me, pay with time (work) is a lot more expensive than pay 10€ or 20€ once in a while.

I spent money, but a lot of it was on slots.
Ain't a hoarder but just find it hard to throw things away :P

Having said that, I hope DE can re-visit the F2P model with no doubt a large influx of players both old and new coming in.
Like maybe a free warframe slot and 2 weapon slots at every 3 MR ranks or so.

A little generosity does help and keeps players vested.
It won't be enough to give most players everything, but at least they got a nice selection even for a "pure" F2P player.
After all warframe is about choosing the best tools for the job and the only way to do that is to have a ton of slot.

Yeah a ton of them :P

Edited by fatpig84

As a chap with debts to pay, Warframe has been quite merciful to me. Don't get me wrong, I most certainly would love to "buy" Warframe some day (50 bucks is what I usually pay for a brand new quality game), but, for the leaner times till then, between shocking gifts from associates and the luck of the Prime sale, I never seem to want for anything in particular.

Then again, I am a fellow with simple tastes, all I really need are slots followed by slots with some slots and a few slots, maybe a Hema some day when I'm really frisky about purchases.

I never had to actually pay for anything in this game, except for tennogen (which is my choice) and when I get a 75% off coupon I feel like I NEED to spend at least 12$ on 1000 plat just because it's a great deal (but that only happened twice so far).

I can see how new players would think this game is play to win though, the game itself doesn't really make it clear that you can trade the in-game currency or that all weapons can be obtained eventually through gameplay.

23 hours ago, Spartan336 said:

I've gone a total of... 4 years? Jeez has it been 4 years...

*Ahem*

...4 years without buying plat and just grinding everything out, which might change here really soon since, let's be honest, DE deserves money.

I'm wondering if anyone else has done a pure F2P play through of Warframe, and if not, how long did you last until you payed some green? 

I do have to say, I was a founder in this game but I felt it sooo much better to grind it out.  I have only used my plat i got from founders for expanding my slots.  I did rush a frame or weapon but thats it.  I have refused to purchase anything with it until this week where I bought my friend Ash Prime because he just started to play last week.  

F2P is a great option but I would totally say its worth investing into some plat to help expand those slots of yours! :)  Trust me when I say that helps out a lot.  

Daaang ...DE made them so much money, they got out of the poultry business.

On Topic:

I believe in spending 15 USD a month in a game if I am plugging more than 10 hours in the game that month.

DE isn't a charity and neither am I. 

As such, some months they get money from me and some months they don't.

I got $30 when I got a 50% coupon. Bought mostly slots and that got me through my starting phase. After that I got a tennogen skin from a gift card i got from steam. Other than that, I farmed the rest. I also did this with Spiral Knights, I bought some initial currency which got me through start. Figured since I had put in about a hundred hours into each game at that point it would be nice to support the devs.

2 hours ago, -Temp0- said:

giphy.gif

That's cute.

Warframe slowly gets successful 

The more successful it's gotten the bigger and more ambitious the updates have been

Reach today where warframe is constantly at the top 10 of the steam charts.

PoE, DE's most ambitious update so far, is about to be released with a Kingpin enemy system coming in the not-to-distant future.

Its not perfect and there's alot of problems in Warframe and I'd normally agree with you but so far their success has literally meant bigger and better content and updates.

Edited by PH0T0Nman

I happily support the game by buying plat.

It keeps me from complaining about grinding. It also is an ingame income for our cash strapped farming community.

Having said that, i work hard and earn a comfortable income.

This means i cant play much, so i also value our cash strapped farmers to break their backs getting me the things i want.

Its a good model DE has here. A win/win.