Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mastery Test Seven and the Mastery System Restrictions

TheLastWorstHope

I have failed this test twice now because the time limit is so small and the enemies spawn so slowly I am incapable of reaching the required cap in the amount of time. As it stands the mastery system is restrictive to the point where it feels more frustrating than anything else. Why precisely do I have to be Mastery Level 8 to access the Orcus Relay? I could grind my way into a maxxed out warframe with orokin reactors and catalysts and a forma in every slot and it wouldn't count for progression because I didn't take these tests.

Look I get wanting a system of progression but this isn't enjoyable. I can only take the test once a day and I'm not even told the requirements of the test ahead of time. "Oh yeah go take the practice test on one of the relays' I did that, I aced the practice test the first time through and it hasn't counted for either of my 'real' attempts. These tests need more than 'take the test get stuff' blurb at the start of them, they need detailed descriptions of what's involved.

I just did it and I lost the mission because the enemy waves spawned in twos and threes at such a rate that I couldn't get them in time.

I didn't even know there was a time limit for the first 'real' try.

I don't need a wiki link I know the nature of the test I succeeded on it the first time through in the practice run and I've failed twice first because of a time limit I didn't notice and then because the time limit is so restrictive and enemies are so sparse on the ground.51B56459631C9C4164C1BC6162B8463A88D32349

Excuse me? I'm not ready to kill enemies in a small arena in a tiny arbitrary arena when they don't spawn fast enough, aren't aggressive, don't drop energy by and large and last for one hit?

This isn't figuring out a boss's weak points or navigating a map, this is a small, pointless, arbitrary mission that I can take once a day, and if I fail that's it; 24 hours have to pass. I can't access the Orcus Relay until I hit 8 so I can't talk to Baro Kiteer when he pops up again.

my progress is being held hostage by a system that doesn't even have the good courtesy to give me loot. What's my prize for doing mastery rank seven? A change to a regalia custom and the right to take mastery rank 8 test.

The mission isn't even difficult for legit reasons. All the mastery rank enemies are level 1 and die in one hit, I'm just not given enough of them sometimes to win, which is a @(*()$ problem when I can only take it once a day. My in game progress is being held for ransom by RNG.

Arbitrarily locking away significant portions of the game behind undiagetic progression blocks is poor game design. I'm more than happy to buy slots or put up with crafting designs but I know when I'm having my progress blocked by an arbitrary system designed to impede me for no other reason than to keep me from 'accessing things too fast.'

I don't appreciate it.

23 minutes ago, TheLastWorstHope said:

Excuse me? I'm not ready to kill enemies in a small arena in a tiny arbitrary arena when they don't spawn fast enough, aren't aggressive, don't drop energy by and large and last for one hit?

I tried the MR7 test just now (already way over MR7). I do not know what the difference between the practice and my attempt was. I had level 17 enemies on my attempt, not sure if this makes a difference.

All enemies were aggressive, the spawn rates were fine, and the area was plenty large enough. I finished the third stage with over 1 minute left on the timer. You do not need energy to do this test. If the only way you can win is with energy, get better gear. I only used weapons, and only those that you have access to.

First point: people have passed this test before so it's highly unlikely that it's going to be changed. I haven't done it in a while so I can't comment on the dynamics of the test.

Second point: you keep saying that your progression right now means nothing. That isn't entirely true, all the mastery from weapons, warframes, etc still counts and is added on to your grand total, and isn't lost at all. It doesn't seem that way because the current test hasn't been passed yet.

• 3 months later...
On 10/4/2017 at 1:24 AM, TheLastWorstHope said:

What's my prize for doing mastery rank seven?

Aside from being able to, like you said, access Orcus relay, MR rewards you with access to better gear too (of course, you could also rant about how unfair having Tigris Prime locked behind MR 15 is).

Also, MR7 was less than a month ago for me, and I was laughing at the word "test".

Also also, why do you need energy in that test? you can't complete it without World on Fire? I was playing on Nyx back then and I pretty much hack & slashed through them. Seeing how they're on a crash course to your warframe, it's just a matter of having some weapon equipped :D

I never had an issue with the first few mastery rank tests, I went straight into  it without running the practice run until I failed 11-12 and decided I would practice before jumping into the test blind (in all fairness I didnt even know where you could practice this tests since I was running them from the menu).

Said this maybe it would  be helpful if you post your run so we can help? 

I dont recall enemies spawning slow and I ran this test over 1 month ago

And dont worry about your progress, it will still count despite you being stuck on your current level.