Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe took inspirations from Mass Effect's health HUDs?

EZIOilMentore

This question has been lingering in my head since the first day I started playing back in early 2015.

Wondering if I'm the only one to notice this. The color scheme used for Warframe's hit-point HUDs bear uncanny resemblance to that of Mass Effect 2 and 3. I don't include Mass Effect 1 here because from what I can remember, the designs were quite different.

Did DE actually take inspirations from Mass Effect when designing these color schemes? It would be pretty cool if that was the case.

I have to admit, I have some doubts about this. Some of you may think this suggestion is too bold. I'm not entirely sure if this is a consistent design choice among several other sci-fi games. Just here to compare notes with y'all. I'm most familiar with Mass Effect... and Warframe. Love 'em both. Except for Andromeda.

Comparison between the HUD color schemes of both titles are as followed:

-Warframe uses RED bars to indicate regular health type, same goes for Mass Effect. A nobrainer, just to get that out of the way.

-Warframe uses BLUE bars to indicate shields, same goes for Mass Effect. In both games, shields can regenerate, although I'm not sure whether or not enemy shields in the Mass Effect games do regenerate... it's been a while since I played.

shields1.png

-Warframe uses YELLOW bars to indicate armor, same goes for Mass Effect.

armor.png

-Warframe uses PURPLE to indicate overshield. In Mass Effect, it is called barrier. Despite the differences in names, both function the same way. They are a type of shield used for buffing, and cannot regenerate on its own.

barrier.png

Edited by EZIOilMentore

1 hour ago, EZIOilMentore said:

EDIT: Didn't mean to post under PoE > Bug Reports > General. If there's a moderator available, I'd appreciate if you could move this post to "Community > General Discussions", where it was intended to be. If not, you can delete this post as a whole. Thanks. 

I was hasty and made a mistake, clicked on the wrong forum via browser history and didn't realize. Yea... laugh all you want.

This question has been lingering in my head since the first day I started playing back in early 2015.

Wondering if I'm the only one to notice this. The color scheme used for Warframe's health HUDs bear uncanny resemblance to that of Mass Effect 2 and 3. I don't include Mass Effect 1 here because from what I can remember, the designs were quite different.

Did DE actually take inspirations from Mass Effect when designing these color schemes? It would be pretty cool if that was the case.

What I'm addressing here is something quite minor to the game, so I have to admit, I have some doubts about this. I feel some of you may think this is too vague, and that it's not worth pointing out. I'm not entirely sure if this is a consistent design choice among several other sci-fi games. I only know Mass Effect... and Warframe. Love 'em both. Except for Andromeda.

Comparison between the HUD color schemes of both titles are as followed:

-Warframe uses RED bars to indicate regular health type, same goes for Mass Effect. A nobrainer of course.

-Warframe uses BLUE bars to indicate shields, same goes for Mass Effect. In both games, shields can regenerate, although I'm not sure whether or not enemy shields in the Mass Effect games do regenerate... it's been a while since I played.

shields1.png

-Warframe uses YELLOW bars to indicate armor, same goes for Mass Effect.

armor.png

-Warframe uses PURPLE to indicate overshield. In Mass Effect, it is called barrier. Despite the differences in names, both function the same way. They are a type of shield used for buffing, and cannot regenerate on its own.

barrier.png

1. Report your own thread, ask it to be moved in report.

2. Not only are these common colours to use for a game, I'm sure you can find 20 games that use the same colour scheme, but there are so many games out there, that if you did a swap of a colour you could find another game and make the same point...

20 minutes ago, Carnage2K4 said:

1. Report your own thread, ask it to be moved in report.

2. Not only are these common colours to use for a game, I'm sure you can find 20 games that use the same colour scheme, but there are so many games out there, that if you did a swap of a colour you could find another game and make the same point...

Yes, I did report this post earlier on. Still nothing yet.

And by other games, are you including indie games? Yes, I know there's games that use the same colors for HUDs, but none for the same exact representation. Specifically, Yellow for armor and purple for barrier (overshield) is something very distinct to ME. Am I wrong?

15 hours ago, EZIOilMentore said:

Yes, I did report this post earlier on. Still nothing yet.

And by other games, are you including indie games? Yes, I know there's games that use the same colors for HUDs, but none for the same exact representation. Specifically, Yellow for armor and purple for barrier (overshield) is something very distinct to ME. Am I wrong?

Borderlands use red for health, blue for shield, yellow for armored units also. But it doesn't have overshield.

It's less "inspiration" and more "common sense"

Players are used to specific conventions. Health bars on top, health bars as red. Secondary bar (shield, mana, etc) blue. etc etc etc.

The contrasts between colors also help diferentiate them more easily in the heat of battle.