Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Concern that the recent twitch promotion will steer community in the wrong direction

Im_A_Cellphone

I am quite aware that the streaming platform twitch is filled with all of the wrong kinds of people and that the majority of those who go there either stream in hopes to extort those out of viewers money with false promises that come with donating, or go there with the innocent naivety of a viewer and get their money stolen from them after falling prey to what I would call the worst thing to happen to the internet. 

Twitch is the kind of place that will degrade the community even further than it already is and by trying to run a promotion in collaboration with such a flawed service is very unwise. I hope the community will become more social in-game and not have to expose themselves to such negative elements such as Twitch in the future.

https://www.warframe.com/news/the-great-eidolon-hunt

This is the type of event that should never be introduced due to my explanation above.

Edited by Mileth
Grammar for clarification + Link to promotion mentioned

I think it's more the other way around, the event brings a lot of people to Warframe streamers... just for loot. Once the event is over, it'll likely go back to the mediocre viewership Warframe usually gets on Twitch. Free stuff tends to bring in a lot of people for the wrong reasons.

Can't say I understand the extortion argument OP, seems like some random fearmongering to me.

3 hours ago, Mewvg2 said:

I think it's more the other way around, the event brings a lot of people to Warframe streamers... just for loot. Once the event is over, it'll likely go back to the mediocre viewership Warframe usually gets on Twitch. Free stuff tends to bring in a lot of people for the wrong reasons.

Can't say I understand the extortion argument OP, seems like some random fearmongering to me.

Twitch is full of self serving people that use the opportunity of streaming to extort money from their clueless viewership and work to fulfill their own purposes while mistreating others online; that is the entire point of my concern. I have witnessed streamers do this repeatedly to their viewers and bringing it here is only asking for trouble.

Of course, I hold more extreme views against Twitch as a company which would be seen as trying to spread fear, but I will abstain with talking about those due to the strict "guidelines" of the forums.

Edited by Mileth
For more detail

Twitch is full of self serving people that use the opportunity of streaming to extort money from their clueless viewership and work to fulfill their own purposes while mistreating others online; that is the entire point of my concern.

If this really is a problem, what I underlined should explain why it's absolutely not a problem.

Btw, it's pretty crazy you look at people like that. If you really think people are that stupid, why are you trying to save them? 

1 hour ago, Mileth said:

Twitch is full of self serving people that use the opportunity of streaming to extort money from their clueless viewership and work to fulfill their own purposes while mistreating others online

And your proof for this baseless accusation?

10 hours ago, BL4CKN0ISE said:

If this really is a problem, what I underlined should explain why it's absolutely not a problem.

Btw, it's pretty crazy you look at people like that. If you really think people are that stupid, why are you trying to save them? 

It absolutely is a problem that people can't think for themselves, and even though people are that hopeless they need to be protected from the crimes they could become a victim of. I have seen many games absolutely crumble by attempting to integrate themselves with Twitch due to the very same reason you say isn't a concern. The fact you aren't willing to watch out for your fellow gamer is something you should work on so the community can become better as a whole.

As for Gokuofuin, you don't need to look very far to see some of the atrocities that have come from twitch, all you need to do is look it up to see some of the most popular examples of extortion from twitch's platform in those highly popular youtube videos about it.

Edited by Mileth
Responding to a second reply in the same post

6 hours ago, Mileth said:

As for Gokuofuin, you don't need to look very far to see some of the atrocities that have come from twitch, all you need to do is look it up to see some of the most popular examples of extortion from twitch's platform in those highly popular youtube videos about it.

In other words you have no proof and are just fear mongering? Or witch hunting.

On 10/29/2017 at 1:11 AM, Gokuofuin said:

In other words you have no proof and are just fear mongering? Or witch hunting.

No, I'm saying the proof has already been presented by other sources that prove my point of Twitch being a platform that causes toxicity, hatred, and the means to steal money from people. It's a bad business decision for any gaming company, developer or publisher; to associate themselves with what equates to a nuclear reactor in terms of health concerns for their game and community.

Colour me confused because Warframe has had a pretty large twitch presence for years now. 

I mean just click on the community tab on the main page and scroll to the Partners tab, dats a lot of Twitch :P 

If the concern is that advertising is going to bring in undesirable people, that is a universal truth not just a Twitch thing. Your options are to accept it or simply never ever advertise your game and hope that no one knowing about it pays off. 

2 hours ago, Oreades said:

Colour me confused because Warframe has had a pretty large twitch presence for years now. 

I mean just click on the community tab on the main page and scroll to the Partners tab, dats a lot of Twitch :P 

If the concern is that advertising is going to bring in undesirable people, that is a universal truth not just a Twitch thing. Your options are to accept it or simply never ever advertise your game and hope that no one knowing about it pays off. 

My entire point in all of this is that Twitch is going to take a big chomp of what DE could be having put into Warframe, and by directly working along side them is bad for business. While the negative impact twitch has on the warframe community is already showing, I've been repeatedly attacked in-game for expressing my views about this and the usual responses are filled with vulgar or racial slurs showing that the exposure twitch has had on those people is so toxic they have become blinded as to what "acceptable behavior" actually is.

So not only is Twitch bad for business, it's bad from a community perspective as well. It's a lose-lose and it is really hard to continue playing this game when people are becoming increasingly more toxic.

8 hours ago, Mileth said:

No, I'm saying the proof has already been presented by other sources that prove my point of Twitch being a platform that causes toxicity, hatred, and the means to steal money from people. It's a bad business decision for any gaming company, developer or publisher; to associate themselves with what equates to a nuclear reactor in terms of health concerns for their game and community.

Then where is this so called "proof"?

2 hours ago, Mileth said:

I'm not going to fish up a bunch of links from youtube just because you're too lazy to look for them.

Burden of Proof lies with the Accuser. If you can't or aren't willing to back it up, that's on you, not the people you are trying to convince. Not being willing to provide the evidence willingly and freely is seen as a sign you are either a liar or don't know what you are talking about.

Edited by Ceryk

4 hours ago, Mileth said:

I'm not going to fish up a bunch of links from youtube just because you're too lazy to look for them.

So you're going to sling accusations of ill intent on otherwise hard working streamers of the WarFrame community that tend to be really good people such as Tactical Potato, AGayGuyPlays, Mogamu, and many other partnered individuals that not only put out regular content for you to consume on YouTube but also stream to garner something akin to a living wage. Your argument that it makes the community and the player base more toxic is also patently false. We notice them more often because there are more of them as player base increase, but for every one bad apple there are ninety-nine that are good and supportive individuals. So allow me to do this for you, the current player base is pretty massive and 1% of those players are probably going to be bell-ends. Nice to meet a member of the one percent @Mileth. Next time you want to start something at least be prepared to back it up.

Edited by Adagio_Rose

The sad part is what you're demanding is trying to set me up for witch hunting which I wont do. So you all turn around and attack me for it, If there wasn't a "
no witch-hunting rule" I would be ecstatic with giving you a list of hundreds of malicious streamers. However your demand for a witch hunt shows just how corrupt you truly are.

2 hours ago, Mileth said:

The sad part is what you're demanding is trying to set me up for witch hunting which I wont do. So you all turn around and attack me for it, If there wasn't a "
no witch-hunting rule" I would be ecstatic with giving you a list of hundreds of malicious streamers. However your demand for a witch hunt shows just how corrupt you truly are.

Actually the sad part is that you actually think you are correct in this argument. And also you are using a minority of the streamers to represent the ENTIRE platform.

Edited by Blobord

On 11/1/2017 at 7:14 AM, Blobord said:

Actually the sad part is that you actually think you are correct in this argument. And also you are using a minority of the streamers to represent the ENTIRE platform.

No, it's only the minority that get caught; the ENTIRETY of the twitch platform is based solely on the manipulation of streamer's audiences to provide revenue for them via extortion.

Which in turn, equates to streamers STEALING from their viewers.