Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stupid question about Operators...

joelinux

I have a really dumb question about the operator mode, and a related request for the devs.  If this has been covered before, please point me to the right thread.

Is the Operator mode an Astral Projection of the Operator, or is the Operator itself somehow emerging directly from the Warframe?  The Quest never made that clear.

And, when you transition to Operator mode, why doesn't the Warframe slump down, like a marionette that has its strings cut?  Can you make it do that?

Just now, krc473 said:

Have you done the War Within quest?

Yeah...and when you are being held by the warframe, it makes sense, as that is your physical body.  However, later, when you "Emerge" from the Warframe, it doesn't specify whether or not your actual physical body is back in the lander, or you are somehow occupying the same space/time as the warframe.

2 minutes ago, joelinux said:

Yeah...and when you are being held by the warframe, it makes sense, as that is your physical body.  However, later, when you "Emerge" from the Warframe, it doesn't specify whether or not your actual physical body is back in the lander, or you are somehow occupying the same space/time as the warframe.

I think this is a case of 'logic'. I mean, based on the quest line (because I have no idea) it looked like your operator stayed in the pod in the ship. The operator can teleport from the ship to the frame, perhaps using void energy, or void something

If you use transference in your ship. The frame stays still, and the operator gets out of the pod. That would suggest to me that the operator can teleport to/out of the frame. 

Your frame is essentially a remote control toy for a void child (demon).

1 minute ago, krc473 said:

I think this is a case of 'logic'. I mean, based on the quest line (because I have no idea) it looked like your operator stayed in the pod in the ship. The operator can teleport from the ship to the frame, perhaps using void energy, or void something

If you use transference in your ship. The frame stays still, and the operator gets out of the pod. That would suggest to me that the operator can teleport to/out of the frame. 

Hide contents

Your frame is essentially a remote control toy for a void child (demon).

I've never tried to transfer out of the frame inside the pod.  Does he emerge from the chair, or jump out right where the frame is?

Because if he comes out of the Frame, that seems to suggest the actual "you" does inhabit the frame.

However, if you emerge from the chair, that would seem to suggest that the real "you" stays in the chair at all times, and what actually pops out in the field is some form of astral projection.

Pretty sure its a physical manifestation -

Spoiler

as the Grineer Queen mentions 'coming here in the flesh' when your operator transfers out of your frame - also, she wants your operators body to transfer into, which obviously couldnt be done if it were just some sort of ethereal manifestation =)

I assume the frame acts as a conduit the operator can use to physically travel thru - but with failsafes that pull your operator back when life threatening injury could occur. 

When your operator gets out of the chair onboard your ship - its simply because theres no reason to transfer through the frame since the operator is already right there.

Edited by Mavor

Just now, krc473 said:

When you do it in the ship, your operator gets out of the chair.

That would seem to suggest that the physical "you" stays in the chair at all times, and what pops out in the field is a form of astral projection...

Just now, Mavor said:

Reveal hidden contents

as the Grineer Queen mentions 'coming here in the flesh' when your operator transfers out of your frame

From the lore we have I assume the frame acts as a conduit the operator and use to travel thru.

Hmm...that is true...

Spoiler

but, why did the Operator need to have the frame "carry" him in the mission?  That seems redundant then...

Just now, joelinux said:

That would seem to suggest that the physical "you" stays in the chair at all times, and what pops out in the field is a form of astral projection...

During the quest, the Queen was able to drill into the frame and get the operator out of it. I would assume this means the operator is linked to the frame in a way that means it can easily get out. So, I would assume the operator appears physically (not a projection) in the battle.

Operator in the ship. I made a 15 sec video to show what happens in the ship.

1 minute ago, krc473 said:

During the quest, the Queen was able to drill into the frame and get the operator out of it. I would assume this means the operator is linked to the frame in a way that means it can easily get out. So, I would assume the operator appears physically (not a projection) in the battle.

Reveal hidden contents

Operator in the ship. I made a 15 sec video to show what happens in the ship.

See, I took the drilling to mean that the queen was trying to transfer her ESSENCE into the person through the frame, not that the physical body would be pulled through.  

1 minute ago, joelinux said:

Hmm...that is true...

The operator had their energy drained. They had not been out into the physical world for a very long time (basically, its the birth of the operator in physical form).

They were weak and not able to do much.

Or, for cinematic effect it just worked better that way. Personally, I thought the frame carrying the operator was nice. It may not have had to be that way.

To my understanding, the devs only have the Operator leave the chair in the ship (as opposed to popping out of the frame like in mid-mission) because it's convenient to press 5 and instantly be right next to the Focus menu. It's inconsistent with in-mission gameplay, but not for lore reasons.

Just now, joelinux said:

See, I took the drilling to mean that the queen was trying to transfer her ESSENCE into the person through the frame, not that the physical body would be pulled through.  

I guess this is something that is open to interpretation. I don't think DE will give any solid "this is what we meant" information, Because this way, the players can, to a degree, make their own story.

I think that is better than just everything only happens one way. There is only one possible reason for something.

Just now, krc473 said:

I guess this is something that is open to interpretation. I don't think DE will give any solid "this is what we meant" information, Because this way, the players can, to a degree, make their own story.

I think that is better than just everything only happens one way. There is only one possible reason for something.

If that is the case, can I make my lore involve this all being a fever dream of Deadpool?  I think that would make it so much more interesting...

If that is the case, can I make my lore involve this all being a fever dream of Deadpool?  I think that would make it so much more interesting...

Sure. DE said a while back that they wanted to keep stuff open to interpretation, just so everyone can essentially make their own story. DE guides us a bit, but we can make our own story.

Lotus has enslaved the children of the void. Bribed them with fancy toys (RC robots that use guns).

Lotus wants her slave children to go on mass murdering rampages with said toys. And we do that.

We invade 'peaceful' civilisations - Wars were though previously but not so much now and all that. But we, the tenno, are the catalyst for the next war.

I like playing as the bad guy. So, us being evil and ruining the Sol System is better for me than us trying to defend it...

Before, back before we learned how to transfer out of the warframe in the flesh when we had our "ultimates",THAT was when the Operator projected themselves onto the battlefield as a ghostly image to act as a focus for our cast ability.

After the Wyrm Queen drilled a larger hole in the Void to reach us, she accidentally allowed us to tunnel through the void itself in order to reach our destination point, the Warframe itself, and back again to the "anchor point", the transference tree. The void teleport ability is supported by the "mission failed" screen that occurs during the Operator-only missions.

Thats what I've been led to believe, given what the developers have said, shown us, and displayed in game.

Ok, I've read the comments and will answer as best as I can:

Before TSD, the Tenno believed themselves to be the Warframes, they have been in them for so long, they forgot they have their own body.

Comes TSD, the Tenno are mostly confused and under attack, they can only use their Void Beam.

After TSD, the Operator gains a power called Transcendece, they call forth an Astral Projection to the field that lasts 10s, but has a 180s charge time.

Comes TWW, we discover the Tenno's memories were locked away and with them: the powers they learned during the Zariman incident, one of those powers is called Transference, which allows them to posses things, the Warframes being an exemple.

Having unlocked Transference, they use it to go physically to where the Warframe is, not a projection, but flesh. As Teshin said: "You exist in the fold between two worlds. The world we know, of blood and steel. And the word that watches and dreams... the Void.", The Tenno turns themselves into energy and travel throught their link to the where the Warframe is.

What the Red Queen did... was try and enter our mind and take our place, since the Teshin did a Transference Surge with his Orvius, we couldnt cut the link, and since the Warframe is connected to the Tenno mentally, she could access our mind throught it.

After TWW, the Transferece Chair is fired, but we dont need it anymore since we control the Warframe using our own powers.

As for why we are in the chair in the Obiter? Well, its a CHAIR, its made to sit on.

Why we appear in the chair when we use Transference while in the Orbiter? Convinience: the Focus menu is right there, I wouldnt want to walk all the way to the back of the Orbiter if I could just press 5, S, X.

30 minutes ago, Mavor said:

Reveal hidden contents

as the Grineer Queen mentions 'coming here in the flesh' when your operator transfers out of your frame - also, she wants your operators body to transfer into, which obviously couldnt be done if it were just some sort of ethereal manifestation =)

I assume the frame acts as a conduit the operator can use to physically travel thru - but with failsafes that pull your operator back when life threatening injury could occur. 

When your operator gets out of the chair onboard your ship - its simply because theres no reason to transfer through the frame since the operator is already right there.

I assume the same. But I do wish the Operator did transfer through the frame while in the Orbiter -- Walking to the cockpit is so slow!