The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Operator - some thoughts after "rework" sinked in

(PSN)OmegaSlayer

My first hope when the Operator mode was announced to be reworked was to have an operator able to use hard cover system and a gameplay more like Metal Gear Solid 3, going stealthy basically because he's weak.
DE went the opposite way, the Void Demon...so when I saw the new operator I hoped he would be someone like Vergil from Devil May Cry. Vergil, not Dante, especially in the animation and movement set.
What we have is an utility focused operator which is good on paper, but a clunky way to have a stat buff.

The main point is...games work on a "food chain" logic, where enemies are the predators and players are the preys...this work on different scales.

In Warframe, while playing IN the frame, the predator is "the horde", the mass of enemies, except some peculiar units that might poses some different degrees of threats. Which means that frame mode heavily relies on crowd control and dps damage.

While in the current Operator mode, every unit is a predator...well armored units are, amps deals well against non armored at non sortie levels.
For the operator mode to work, the gameplay needs new kind of predators, like units or places that can stop the transference, so, like when you visit Onkko, your frame can't be used.
Areas in which frames can't enter and enemies like the Corpus Nullifier that would kick the Operator out of the frame.

Operator could have hard cover mode for when the void powers can't be used or exhausted, could do stylish things when he's in full force, could control stuff like the Golden Maw

This will force Operator into a total new way of gameplay which can be both MGS stealth and DMC badassery and have a gameplay meaning.

But operator is not the only thing that has to change, the Warframe game/envyronment has to evolve and expand with new treats.

sounds great and of course the operator needs more and better gear than the amps to properly fight against the enemies the operator faces and maybe have different pistols and smg's for his/her offensive and different kind of armour like: warframe like armour so we could have abilities for our operators 

8 minutes ago, DarthBane1 said:

This would be a good idea for sentinels. Do a "Tenno Hunter" Sentinel which "hunts" tenno by kicking tem out of the warframe and attacking them. 

I like this idea, but it's not entirely supported by lore. Since we, the Tenno, remotely control our Warframes, how would the Tenno Hunter Sentinel bring us to the battelfield? Not even the Grineer Queens possessed the ability to teleport or otherwise move Tenno, instead using our Warframe to mentally interact (and attempt to control) us. The only individual to ever teleport a Tenno is, well...that Tenno. I'm sure there's a work around and I still like the idea, but I wanted to point that out.

6 minutes ago, DarthBane1 said:

This would be a good idea for sentinels. Do a "Tenno Hunter" Sentinel which "hunts" tenno by kicking tem out of the warframe and attacking them. 

That gave me the full image of pushing operator out of frame and attacking him/her with a kogake finisher, then i realised we are children and cant get well... *spanked* :(

I do believe DE will expand combat operator with somekind of lightsabers for melee,  our operator keeps maturing little by little  everysingle patch, though not loved by many i see improvements, so ima just let DE keep surprising me on that.

I really like what DE did with the new operator.

Main issue so far is the amp scaling with endgame / heavy armored enemies, but that can be fixed by either releasing stronger amps or even better, making a modding system for amps...That said, operators are surprisingly viable on most of the starchart once you get a decent amp, the important waybound passives and a couple operator arcanes... And I've been having alot of fun doing operator only runs, something that was simply not possible with the old operator and all it's problems.

As for improvements, I still think the basic operator mobility could be improved. Even with the run speed passive unlocked, the operators move slowly compared to frames (slightly better when you slide everywhere). I know they are space children ,but they should feel as good to manoeuver as frames do. That said, void dash is really great and it does help offset the fact the operators are kinda slow and clunky to control / jump with by default... But still, in an ideal world, an operator would be more fluid when climbing/jumping/running around the map, instead of being a slow and cumbersome star chart that teleports all over the place to offset their meh base mobility.

Another thing we really need is operator melee. I remember how psyched I was when we got the Kuva Scepter after the War Within... Yet in the end it was just another warframe weapon and not an operator melee weapon. We now have an operator gun, we need operator melee to really flesh out the operator's combat options. Granted, one could say that the void push attack is the operator's melee/close range attack... But it's not as cool as a proper melee attack.

13 hours ago, peterc3 said:

DE has said there will not be a cover system.

Yup, for Warframes, because they're about mobility, and I wholeheartedly agree.

Operator though has neither that degree of mobility, nor powerful arsenal made of 3 different weapons (that you can mod!), nor 4 powers.

11 hours ago, (PS4)Stealth_Cobra said:

I really like what DE did with the new operator.

Main issue so far is the amp scaling with endgame / heavy armored enemies, but that can be fixed by either releasing stronger amps or even better, making a modding system for amps...That said, operators are surprisingly viable on most of the starchart once you get a decent amp, the important waybound passives and a couple operator arcanes... And I've been having alot of fun doing operator only runs, something that was simply not possible with the old operator and all it's problems.

As for improvements, I still think the basic operator mobility could be improved. Even with the run speed passive unlocked, the operators move slowly compared to frames (slightly better when you slide everywhere). I know they are space children ,but they should feel as good to manoeuver as frames do. That said, void dash is really great and it does help offset the fact the operators are kinda slow and clunky to control / jump with by default... But still, in an ideal world, an operator would be more fluid when climbing/jumping/running around the map, instead of being a slow and cumbersome star chart that teleports all over the place to offset their meh base mobility.

Another thing we really need is operator melee. I remember how psyched I was when we got the Kuva Scepter after the War Within... Yet in the end it was just another warframe weapon and not an operator melee weapon. We now have an operator gun, we need operator melee to really flesh out the operator's combat options. Granted, one could say that the void push attack is the operator's melee/close range attack... But it's not as cool as a proper melee attack.

Mobility is the main problem.

Void dash is clunky, it should be the default evasion...remove the slide, use void dashing for fast forward movement, jump and side and backwards evasion.

For the activations of powers through dashing, use the current mode, enter void, then dash...

This simple thing with movement would instantly solve the clunk movement