The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Mission type- "Breakthrough"

Danjal777

In this new mission type tiles only have one entrance and one exit.  Each tile has a spawned defense force that must be eliminated to open the next tile.  After ten rooms you get a reward.  Reward cycles follow the "AABC" rotation pattern.  New tiles are generated as you go and beaten tiles are despawned two tiles behind you.  Extraction is achieved by retreating back two tiles.

Three types:

Ship Breach: happens on a Grineer or Corpus ship (maybe both).  Every 10 tiles is a sabotage room.  Once that room is defeated, the team blows a hole in the bulkhead and archwings to another ship, and the cycle continues getting harder as you go.  Each new ship you board will have an extraction console in the insertion room, activating it will place you in extraction status.

Facility Assault: happens on a planet, the team will run through tiles defeating enemies as normal, but it is timed and will force extract if the timer reaches 0.  Consoles can be hacked to add time to the counter, more time being awarded on the speed of the hack.  A cypher will provide a average time bonus.  Bonus time is added to the timer every time a room is unlocked as well.  The 10th room will always be a spy vault or puzzle room of some type.  Beating the room will give a large amount of bonus time and an extra hidden reward at the end of the mission.  Failing it will just open the next tile.  The timer doesn't start until you walk into the first tile from the insertion point.

Portal run: Always starts in the void.  The team will run through tiles as normal, the 10th tile will be a miniboss on rotation A, a boss on rotation B, and an assassin in rotation C.  The boss fight will happen in a portal room with an inactive portal.  After defeating the boss, a countdown timer will activate for a massive explosive device, the team must activate the portal and head to a new tile set.  Tile types will not repeat within three rotations of each other (earth>mars>venus...) not (earth>venus>earth) enemies on the tiles change as well.  

Seems like an interesting concept on paper. But I worry that the constant "spawning" and "despawning" of tiles in a single mission will somehow put too much stress on the loading times. As it is, I believe the tiles of each mission are randomized and loaded right at the start of the mission and don't change no matter how much we explore. But once it loads the first time, it doesn't seem to cause any more issues. This mission type you're describing seems to aim to create whole new tiles ad infinitum. I don't think we have the technology to support that yet.

4 minutes ago, Zoh_Veldae said:

Seems like an interesting concept on paper. But I worry that the constant "spawning" and "despawning" of tiles in a single mission will somehow put too much stress on the loading times. As it is, I believe the tiles of each mission are randomized and loaded right at the start of the mission and don't change no matter how much we explore. But once it loads the first time, it doesn't seem to cause any more issues. This mission type you're describing seems to aim to create whole new tiles ad infinitum. I don't think we have the technology to support that yet.

Not in Warframe, no. We have it in other games though to an extent. Destiny 2 for example, for as crappy as it is, uses preconstructed platform areas in the Infinite Forest and then procedurally generate the random segments as the player reaches the next segment. It is entirely possible to do.

41 minutes ago, Zoh_Veldae said:

You are correct, but DE is comprised of some seriously creative people and could easily find a way.  one option would be to set a seed parameter and use the host's processor clock to generate a random seed and then deploy 30 tiles, upon reaching #15 it will rerun the seed and generate another 15 while despawning the first 15, that was the processing impact is made minimal with the seed and the spike is less intrusive then a constant trickle of data.  But I am no expert, I am sure DE can figure it out.

36 minutes ago, (PS4)Boomstickman98 said:

Not in Warframe, no. We have it in other games though to an extent. Destiny 2 for example, for as crappy as it is, uses preconstructed platform areas in the Infinite Forest and then procedurally generate the random segments as the player reaches the next segment. It is entirely possible to do.

That's the great thing about the gaming community, the whole is benefited by the endeavors of one.  Games after Star citizen are going to be insane once they finish making it in another 30 years or so.