Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

J3-Golem Is...disappointing.

Lucilius

Wait, so. Now the Infested design makes even less sense.

It used to be you could tell what the Ancient Infested used to be, the forms they'd infested (hence the name). Now they seem to be some unique blanket-monster tentacle pile of unrecognizable origin, but we could wave that away with "life cycle" or "they're really really ancient".

But where does the Golem's new design work into that? They don't seem to have any shared physical traits with the altered Ancient Infested, which makes less sense since they should be super old, having been created long ago. Even its multiple muzzles look nothing like those any of the existing Infected have.

Hopefully this is just due to this being an early look at Golem. But even then, I gotta cry out: DE, please develop an in-house design bible and reference guide for creating future Infested if you haven't already. I like the gameplay idea of this new boss, but I don't see the visual connection going on here that connects them to the bigger story.
Edited by KoshLovesYou

What's not to understand? It's not a linear life cycle, but biological weapons and their victims.

Runners/Chargers/Crawlers- recently infected creatures.

Ancients- the original carriers of the plague. Created by the Orokin to do battle alongside the Tenno against the Sentients. They are the source of the modern plague. They are not mutants, they are complete and purpose built.

Golem- a creature, possibly an Orokin, that contracted the plague eons ago. It has been growing and adding to itself ever since. This is what happens if a basic infested is left to it's own devices for a few thousand years.

Oh god. The design is actually horrifying. It's similar to the old infested ancients where it appears to be the guy's original right arm merged with his helmet, a stretchy vestigial arm has replaced that merged right arm.

YR2wcmo.jpg

The J3-Golem appears to be three separate entities merged with each other. The other two, aside from the 'horse head' appear to be recent additions to the monster, appearing to be of Corpus and Grineer origin.

Observations:

'Horse Head' - It appears to have been a humanoid entity who was holding its head; its hands merged with what would become the snout. Beats me why it would have remained this way instead of becoming one cohesive part, though the nakedness of the design implies that it was one of the first beings the Golem assimilated. The bloated 'stomach' and snout implies toxic ranged attacks.

'Scythe Holder' - I get the impression that it was once a Grineer of high rank; the body was elongated, original arms becoming vestigial. The original 'head' has grown into arms to 'hold' the scythe. Seems to be connected to the Corpus 'side'. Maybe it's an indicator of another Grineer weapon coming soon? The scythe doesn't look like it's a byproduct of the Infested change.

I think the design does fit with the Infested fine!

Edited by DSMK2

It used to be you could tell what the Ancient Infested used to be, the forms they'd infested (hence the name). Now they seem to be some unique blanket-monster tentacle pile of unrecognizable origin, but we could wave that away with "life cycle" or "they're really really ancient".

But where does the Golem's new design work into that? They don't seem to have any shared physical traits with the altered Ancient Infested, which makes less sense since they should be super old, having been created long ago. Even its multiple muzzles look nothing like those any of the existing Infected have.

Hopefully this is just due to this being an early look at Golem. But even then, I gotta cry out: DE, please develop an in-house design bible and reference guide for creating future Infested if you haven't already. I like the gameplay idea of this new boss, but I don't see the visual connection going on here that connects them to the bigger story.

It actually does. Look at the head thats severely elongated. See that weird fan-like structure? All the ancient infested have that too. That head could have been the original entity, and as others have pointed out. the other 2 heads could have been seperate entities merged together. 

At least the new J3-Golem is finally looking like something to battle the uber-race "Sentients" - my guess is that the Ancients are actually nothing else than Sentients the J3-Golem infected (well, if he didn't consume 'em all).

Also, look at the arm coming down from his throat towards his stomach. I can't identify this as Grineer or Corpus origin, looks like Sentients to me.

Furthermore, if you look at his feet, the 2 close to the "horse-head" are tri-pods, while the 3rd leg is a bi-pod (dunno how to explain it otherwise, I know bi- and tripods are weapon attachments and not legs). I think the 3rd leg was developed AFTER it was originally created and consumed some stuff - the original J3-Golem was just the horse head and the 2 tri-pod legs (eventho the Sentients would probably S#&$ their pants fighting such a terrifying creature).

But I gotta agree, the new Ancients look like giant rags.

But hey, if the J3-Golem is gonna make it into the game the way it looks right now, this is gonna be my favourite boss of all times. I hope the J3-Golem cutscene is gonna show him on some Grineer-Asteroid Base simply breaking through a wall of 'unbreakable' rock and perform a battle cry louder than hell (reference to Wacken Metal-Festival).

I hope it eats as much bullets as it's big.

And honestly they should exchange the J3-Golem with Phorid (J3-Golem on Eris, Phorid on Jupiter) - the J3-Golem is way older and should therefore be a ton stronger than some recently mutated mutant Charger.

Thumbs up for Lvl70 J3-Golem!

Edited by PrivateAli

Ancients- the original carriers of the plague. Created by the Orokin to do battle alongside the Tenno against the Sentients. They are the source of the modern plague. They are not mutants, they are complete and purpose built.

Huh, I've actually never read/heard that bit of lore before as to what the Ancients were, save for the Golem themselves. They always just seemed like older infested Corpus prior to the change.

As for the "explanations" posted as to what parts of the Golem are what...ya'll got some Magic Eye level stuff going on, because it just ain't clear. Hopefully it'll get cleaned up on a colored and fully fleshed out model.

They always just seemed like older infested Corpus prior to the change.

They were just the Runner model recoloured and scaled up. It was a placeholder and never intended to have anything to do with the lore. Same with the old Golem and Phorid, they only exist until their new models are implemented in-game.

It was mentioned in the livestream that this concept was kinda too complicated, so they redid it. Don't know how much has changed, but this should be generally what it's gonna be like.

This is not true. The only change made was to make it 8 stories tall.

*cough* 2 problems with your theory.

1. there are going to be many more enemies in the future. DE has stated even in the most recent live stream that there will even be more wildlife in future updates, possibly as soon as update 10. this could also lead to more infested enemies.

2. J3-Golem is "an infested mass that has been replicating and assimilating over many years". this model makes sense, because hes been absorbing multiple kinds of other infested to grow stronger. this is what all those years of growing into a festering giant has produced.

if you look at the model of the new J3-Golem, you can see at least 2 signs of corpus helmets, a few arms that have been mutated and dangling on the body, a ornament in the shape of an orokin control device, as well as most of some taller humanoids as the upper joints of their legs as seen by their rib cages all the way down to their ankles.

understand that infested not only take over, but can infact blob together. im actually interested in seeing more in this Update 10.

But hey, if the J3-Golem is gonna make it into the game the way it looks right now, this is gonna be my favourite boss of all times. I hope the J3-Golem cutscene is gonna show him on some Grineer-Asteroid Base simply breaking through a wall of 'unbreakable' rock and perform a battle cry louder than hell (reference to Wacken Metal-Festival).

If you listen/remember Lotus' dialogues when doing the Golem mission, you'll know that Golem is on an ancient Orokin-turned-infested ship. Watching the latest livestream (which you can find on youtube or simply searching around here for images), there were shots of the Orokin ship.

If you want to have a quick idea of how this centuries-old infestation looks like, think about the "dark forest" Orokin Void extraction point, which happens occasionally. They said in the recent livestream that this is what happens if an Orokin ship is outside of the void (not sure why it happened in the void missions then; maybe just to foreshadow update 10; therefore, it may be removed for void mission), and left unattended for too long, especially with infestation on board.

In short, no Grineer-asteroid base. The Golem will have its own stage based on the Orokin Void tiles to match the lore.

Edited by Casardis