Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Measures For Door Heroes.

Teknique0

I know that many players in this game are fed up with people running off in defense missions and standing at the doors "stealing" other player's xp. This is one huge problem for me and I'd like to propose some solutions for it. Either:

-The game should inform that xp is ranged so less experienced players know that they're not helping but making it worse when they kill too far (does not stop players from spawn camping)

-There should be something that disencourages players that know they're being door heroes but don't want to defend, crippling the team's xp. I suggest no spawns at that area and more spawns in a different area or making xp ranged from the pod unless players are killing the last enemy in that wave.

-Simply remove the ranged xp or simply increase its range and make it not decrease spawns at that area (this will remove the frustration of not getting xp).

These are just oppinions.

Give some form of bonus to actually defending the pod/fighting close to the pod.

While the OP has some interesting ideas as well, this one catches my eye. I'm getting awfully tired of being relegated to solo defence duty while the trio of Novas (Novae?) are off spamming M Prime in a corner of the map. Rewarding defending players in the defence game mode makes sense to me.

Give some form of bonus to actually defending the pod/fighting close to the pod.

Sure and I'd also like to see killed enemies and damage percentage stats at the end of the mission gone so people don't just mindlessly worry about killing and completely forget about the pod.

Make it so there is a 10-15% experience modifier in a range around the pod. This way people are more likely to kill on/near pod, but are still not forced to...(because taking away choice is always rage inducing) 

@Volt_Cruelerz

It would be the fastest and easiest solution.

The only bug I can really see coming from this is that they mis-calculate how far away from a spawn point to check and it reads as potentially all of the doors as being blocked, which might do odd things to the spawns or amount of enemies.

But it would be better than the door heroes.

@Volt_Cruelerz

It would be the fastest and easiest solution.

The only bug I can really see coming from this is that they mis-calculate how far away from a spawn point to check and it reads as potentially all of the doors as being blocked, which might do odd things to the spawns or amount of enemies.

But it would be better than the door heroes.

If a player is more than 20 meters away from the defense target, find which door they are closest to and compare it to the average distance to the others.  Honestly, even simple division could work.  You could scale it per mission or just have zones on the map that if you stand in them enemies just spawn elsewhere.

The thing about just moving enemies where door heroes aren't is that it is the most simple and elegant solution.  It doesn't require explaining.  Door heroes will find out very quickly that their efforts are in vain and will go elsewhere without having to be told.

@Volt_Cruelerz

I agree completely with that and think that it is easily the best and easiest to implement solution for this. But I am just pointing out the only potential bug that could occur depending on how they implement it. Just the programmer aspect of me I guess.

The zoning area would work the best, be the most controllable and have the fewest potential issues if their game engine supports zoning like that. It would just be finding the proper balance for how close is too close.

@Eisvogel

I think that they had thought that the person they had quoted was talking about the false rumor that the xp you gain from allies can be affected by the weapons/powers they use to kill the enemies, and missed that he was talking about the XP sharing range.

Edited by Tsukinoki

Making mobs spawn from where you aren't would be nice and would solve pretty much everything instantly.

Actually, this already happens.... noobs that camp the spawns, delay the waves because the mobs don't spawn if a player is too near the point. It could be expanded.... but i most definitely would rather see this :P

Well.... and option could be so that the pod has a protection aura, and outside that aura anyone gets one hit killed =D

Actually, this already happens.... noobs that camp the spawns, delay the waves because the mobs don't spawn if a player is too near the point. It could be expanded.... but i most definitely would rather see this :P

That's not specific to defense though I thought.  I thought that code was so that enemies don't spawn in your visual field and break immersion.

@Eisvogel

Also the change here is that the mobs would spawn at the other doors, instead of just delaying their spawn. They would spawn just as they normally would, but just from a different door. Which is an improvement over what currently exists.

@Eisvogel

Also the change here is that the mobs would spawn at the other doors, instead of just delaying their spawn. They would spawn just as they normally would, but just from a different door. Which is an improvement over what currently exists.

What i meant about delay, is the fact that either they spawn irregularly due spawn points being blocked and thus, taking more time for all enemies to spawn... or that the delay comes from a saturated spawn point and one that it remains blocked until players clear it. For instance, try entering a door in xini... you'll notice that most of the mobs will spawn elsewhere... and some might stay locked until you clear that spot to enable the spawn.

I can't say exactly how it works, i can just share the experience of what i've seen and tested.

Then again, there will always be ways to bypass this... like wait close by the point and then go into the mass and wipe out with 4s. That's why i said i'd rather see them dropping like flies while away from the pod =D

Well.... and option could be so that the pod has a protection aura, and outside that aura anyone gets one hit killed =D

@Eisvogel

The problem that your idea has is that if you dont wait for any stragglers, which could be stuck on boxes somewhere and never be able to get near the pod, you're going to die if you go out looking for them. You go out to find a corpus straggler, he shoots you from where he's trapped and your instantly downed.

That would be a common, and big, issue for your idea.

@Eisvogel

The problem that your idea has is that if you dont wait for any stragglers, which could be stuck on boxes somewhere and never be able to get near the pod, you're going to die if you go out looking for them. You go out to find a corpus straggler, he shoots you from where he's trapped and your instantly downed.

That would be a common, and big, issue for your idea.

Touchè, you got a point there tsuki....

Though that's more of a problem with bugs (which should hopefully all be fixed at some point)..... a fast "batch fix" would be to disable that when you reach the last remaining enemies point (when they start appearing in the minimap)

In accordance to the "be within range of the cryopod" idea for an exp boost, possibly have it so its range, as an example for Xini/Venera/Io/Calisto style maps, ends just before the three boxes left of the cryopod, if facing away of the back windows. Anything outside of that circle of range the player(s) would only receive normal or lesser experience. Thus to actually encourage defending within that range, and to give players some tether to work with.

• 5 weeks later...