The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

/profile command too invasive?

deadmauDJ

Hi Warframe community,

(This is not my main account, but a dedicated forums account.)

I am authoring this thread today to ask all of you and the authoritative figures of Warframe if the /profile command displays too much information about a player.

The reason I am mentioning this topic is due to a unique circumstance I had to deal with previously involving individuals periodically querying my profile statistics to see if I was away from my consoles for mild or moderate periods of time to know if they should attempt to attack my networking peripherals if they were connected to the Internet at the time.

I live in a fairly rural area where ISPs and IP address pools are somewhat scarce of volume, and network/power outages occur infrequently, but are noticeable enough to warrant attention. When this certain type of group began attempting operations to undermine my network stability and equipment integrity, it was undoubtly noticeable, and only when I was playing video games with publically-visible statistics that update regularly at mission completion/failure.

I surmise I am not the only community member who had to deal an undesirable group like this, so I ask all of you in the community: would selective-visibility of profile information be useful to protect players in the real-world from theft and threat, as well as prevent chat-server campers from trying to disrupt network connections based on in-game visibility and /profile statistic changes based on IP address collection in group missions?

(I realize this may seem like overkill, and since that group already knows this is my forum account, I am taking a real-world risk. However, Warframe support has relayed to me multiple times in the past that for instances such as the one above, I must post publically on the forums for any possibility of change to take place.

Edited by deadmauDJ
Appropriated forum rule; I apologize for not reviewing the rules before my most recent post.

3 minutes ago, (PS4)CannaWhoopazz13 said:

I have no idea what you're saying... Can you translate this out of technical speak, or does it have to be written like this?

If I'm interpreting it correctly they are saying that people where effectively trying DDoS them when they where playing Warframe and they are surmising they determined when they where playing Warframe by comparing changes in the mission statistics gathered from the /profile command.

2 minutes ago, Oreades said:

If I'm interpreting it correctly they are saying that people where effectively trying DDoS them when they where playing Warframe and they are surmising they determined when they where playing Warframe by comparing changes in the mission statistics gathered from the /profile command.

Oh, ok.  I guess that leads to the question of why would somebody want to DDoS somebody playing Warframe..?  

22 minutes ago, (PS4)Chris_Robet said:

I feel like I've read this exact post on a different forum a couple years ago. In any case Naming and Shaming is against the rules so take out the name and take off your tinfoil hat.

Now now. While I agree that naming and shaming should be and IS against the rules, they do bring up a decent topic for discussion. They should remove any hint of naming and shaming here, but I have seen issues with people using profile information in unsavory ways. Let's try to focus on that aspect, shall we?

vor 22 Minuten schrieb deadmauDJ:

Hi Warframe community,

(This is not my main account, but a dedicated forums account.)

1st off.... Having multiple accounts is against the terms of use of the game.

vor 27 Minuten schrieb deadmauDJ:

Let's prevent STEAM_0:0:XXXXXXXX and his accomplices from getting their way)

2nd Naming is against is against forum rules.

As for a profile hiding option, yeah, that is always nice to have.

However, it seems to me, that this whould rather cure a symptom and not the illness.

I think this issue is not DEs responability and not to mention that they can hardly do anything.

2 minutes ago, Walkampf said:

1st off.... Having multiple accounts is against the terms of use of the game.

Please do not spread false information as what you are stating is simply untrue.

You, as creator of your Account and User ID, are solely responsible for your User ID. Digital Extremes will not tolerate offensive or obscene User IDs. If a User ID violates any part of these terms, DE may immediately, temporarily, or permanently ban such a User ID, with or without notice. The creation of alternate accounts will be handled on a case by case basis, and we reserve the right to remove accounts used to circumvent any form of restrictions to the game or the Service including the official Warframe forums.

-- From the Terms of Use