Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is this lag? Enemies and players are "jumping around"

(PSN)Snypomaniac

I have a good internet (100Mbit down / 2 up according to PS4 menü test, 80/10 according to ps4 internet browser...). I have constant 20-30 ping.

In the past where I lagged, I couldn't shoot the enemy, I shot at him, nothing, then it jumped into it's real place. You know; lag. Drops are not picked up instantly etc. It was around 1 per 15 mission. 

But for a while now, almost every 2-3 mission, I lag in a way that I always hit what I shoot, there is no issue, drops are picked up, doors are opened instantly etc. But enemies and players are jumping around erratically, enemies are often "taken aback" one step, if you know what I mean. 

Is this still lag, but DE made it different, more playable? Or what is this? No issues in solo, so it has to be the connection. Restarted rooter and everything... What is it? What to do? 

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by (PS4)Snypomaniac

25 minutes ago, Koldraxon-732 said:

Other players' connections and/or your connection to the host may be the case, or the host of the session may have bad internet themselves.

I'm sure that is the case, but why is it this kind of lag? "Normal" lag is when door openings are delayed etc. There is none of that. Just this stuttering of the characters. Many times when for example infested are running towards me, they are set back one meter.

Anyone experiencing this? Never had that kind of lag before, only in the past month. And I don't have the "normal kind of lag" now. DE optimized lag, if it even makes sense...?

1 hour ago, (PS4)Snypomaniac said:

I have a good internet (100mbit up, 2-4mbit down good?). I have constant 32-34 ping, which is not bad. 

Are you sure you got that the right way round (and I'm assuming you mean Mbit, for megabit, rather than mbit for millibit)....seems a little strange to have such a high upload speed with such a low download speed.  For reference my connection is 80Mbit down and 20Mbit up.    If it is what you say it is, you might need to check what you're paying for and get in touch with your ISP if it's slow.

Also where is that ping measurement to, is it in game or is it to say like me doing google.co.uk form the UK. It can make a difference. 

As to the stuttering enemies, when you're not the host it can be one of two things on pc, the host pc is a toaster and can't keep up with the game and so other players get lag or there can be an connection issue between you and the host which you can't really do much about unless you know you have issues with your own internet connection (ie contact them). 

1 hour ago, (PS4)Snypomaniac said:

I have a good internet (100mbit up, 2-4mbit down good?). I have constant 32-34 ping, which is not bad. 

In the past where I lagged, I couldn't shoot the enemy, I shot at him, nothing, then it jumped into it's real place. You know; lag. Drops are not picked up instantly etc. It was around 1 per 15 mission. 

But for a while now, almost every 2-3 mission, I lag in a way that I always hit what I shoot, there is no issue, drops are picked up, doors are opened instantly etc. But enemies and players are jumping around erratically, enemies are often "taken aback" one step, if you know what I mean. 

Is this still lag, but DE made it different, more playable? Or what is this? No issues in solo, so it has to be the connection. Restarted rooter and everything... What is it? What to do? 

Thanks in advance. 

Lag in a nutshell below:-

giphy.gif

Don't worry, I experience it so I keep bobbing & moving on to next mission.:highfive:

Edited by IIWingSaberII

This jumping around thing happens to me most often in the Index for some reason. Usually it only happens in missions with a really bad host, and is accompanied by huge and obvious lag spikes, but in Index it's more regular and my shots don't have lag, just the enemies glitch around a lot more.

1 hour ago, LSG501 said:

Are you sure you got that the right way round (and I'm assuming you mean Mbit, for megabit, rather than mbit for millibit)....seems a little strange to have such a high upload speed with such a low download speed.  For reference my connection is 80Mbit down and 20Mbit up.    If it is what you say it is, you might need to check what you're paying for and get in touch with your ISP if it's slow.

Hmm, I tested it on PS4, and it's 109Mbit down / 1,9 Mbit up. It's always around this. 

On my PC: 45 Mbit / 10 Mbit, 42 ms ping 

My PS4 is on LAN, my PC is wireless. 

What the hell?

Edit: in the PS4 browser the test says 80 / 10 / 22. The PS4 measurement (menü/internet..) is wrong, or during gaming it is speed I get...?  

16 minutes ago, (PS4)Snypomaniac said:

Hmm, I tested it on PS4, and it's 109Mbit down / 1,9 Mbit up. It's always around this. 

On my PC: 45 Mbit / 10 Mbit, 42 ms ping

My PS4 is on LAN, my PC is wireless. 

What the hell?

Wifi is usualy slower than lan because unless you have an 802.11ac wireless network it will never be anywhere near a gigabit lan network, not to mention potential fall off from distance and blockages like walls.  

1 minute ago, (PS4)Snypomaniac said:

Okay, definitive question: 

If as a host there is no lag, then it's not my connection, right? 

you can't really give a definitive answer because there is the potential that your connection has an intermittent problem or there could be capacity issues at the exchange that only show up at certain times etc.  But the odds are that if everything is running smooth on your connection then it is usually down to the other end.

Edited by LSG501

38 minutes ago, (PS4)supernova_girlie said:

This has been happening to me within the past 3 or 4 days and I'm on PS4 also. I don't believe this is a coincidence, because you have described exactly the same phenomena as I have experienced. I have never seen lag this bad on Warframe. I think it knocked me off the internet twice, had to reset router.

Could you run an internet speed test in the a) ps4 menu b) ps4 browser? Whether you have low upload speed like me.

45 minutes ago, (PS4)Snypomaniac said:

Okay, definitive question: 

If as a host there is no lag, then it's not my connection, right? 

Given that the host usually has the authoritative version and doesn't need another computer to tell it what's going on in the mission, then not having lag as the host doesn't tell you anything.