The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So sick of trading chat, why can't we get an auction house?

S5alad

1 minute ago, PatternistSlave said:

And it hinders free players far more than paid.  Also new players far more than experienced.  My thoughts are you're so obsessed with the idea of added convenience you'll blind yourself to the unavoidable repercussions of said convenience.

As I mentioned, in the model of purely taxed with credits, this would change nothing but the medium through which the item would be found. Would you rather there be no taxation on trades at all? I understand fully well that there would be many repercussions with an AH. That said, I personally feel that repercussions are negated by the many positives that having an AH would bring. There are many players who are too daunted by the current trade chat to use it at all! In the end, I guess it comes down to whether you care about player retention or not.

12 minutes ago, sixmille said:

First I post what I want where I want, when I want, as long as it's respecting the forum rules. Then, I'm merely stating that all your arguments are irrelevant because they're not aimed at convenience or anything you claim, you just want cheaper prime sets. That's your real motive, the rest is just crap to obfuscate this. I explained several times why it's not going to happen though so I'm not repeating myself. If you can't afford Prime Access then you can always farm, it's not that time consuming if you know what you're doing.

And where is your proof that this is my motive? All you are doing here is trying to harass and demean another player for having a differing view. From your very own post:

You just want cheaper prime sets. That's your real motive, the rest is just crap to obfuscate this.

First sentence is naming and shaming, second sentence is trying to demean and harass me. Additionally, it states under the quality standards of the guidelines that you must talk in a constructive way that remains on-topic.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Boomstickman98 said:

Would you rather there be no taxation on trades at all?

At the amounts it is currently there might as well not be.  Which is one of the reasons I was able to trade as a new player.

4 minutes ago, (PS4)Boomstickman98 said:

I personally feel that repercussions are negated by the many positives that having an AH would bring. There are many players who are too daunted by the current trade chat to use it at all! In the end, I guess it comes down to whether you care about player retention or not.

Because you've never experienced first hand those repercussions.  Utterly inaccessible is somehow better than "daunting"?  As a player experienced with f2p I sure had no issue trading.  I wouldn't be here I hadn't heard how good Warframe was to free players.  Player retention?  I might not have stuck around I hadn't found it so easy to get plat for slots.  Certainly less likely there'd been some huge tax on it and everything I could obtain netted only tiny amounts.

5 minutes ago, PatternistSlave said:

At the amounts it is currently there might as well not be.  Which is one of the reasons I was able to trade as a new player.

Because you've never experienced first hand those repercussions.  Utterly inaccessible is somehow better than "daunting"?  As a player experienced with f2p I sure had no issue trading.  I wouldn't be here I hadn't heard how good Warframe was to free players.  Player retention?  I might not have stuck around I hadn't found it so easy to get plat for slots.  Certainly less likely there'd been some huge tax on it and everything I could obtain netted only tiny amounts.

I only want it easier for everybody, while also trying to address problems it would bring. I hope you can understanding that I am trying to make concessions to make everybody happy. I may miss the mark sometimes, and that is when I want people to suggest improvements, not just try to deny the possibility outright.

6 minutes ago, (PS4)Boomstickman98 said:

easier for everybody

Easier doesn't equate to better.  Easier encourages bots.  Easier can mean impossible for new players.

9 minutes ago, (PS4)Boomstickman98 said:

I want people to suggest improvements, not just try to deny the possibility outright.

It's not like DE weren't aware of the existence of auction houses when they designed the economy of warframe.  Thankfully they had the foresight not to fall into the trap other games did.  You want to come up with some radical new system that is convenient, works with warframe's economy, and discourages abuse by all means have at it.  It's not an auction house.  You'll have to think a little further outside of what's already been done to colossal failure.

Easier doesn't equate to better.  Easier encourages bots.  Easier can mean impossible for new players.

It's not like DE weren't aware of the existence of auction houses when they designed the economy of warframe.  Thankfully they had the foresight not to fall into the trap other games did.  You want to come up with some radical new system that is convenient, works with warframe's economy, and discourages abuse by all means have at it.  It's not an auction house.  You'll have to think a little further outside of what's already been done to colossal failure.

Well then, let's try to think of a way together (god that sounds cheesy). I genuinely want what is best for this game, as I am sure you do as well. I unfortunately am not that creative unless I have some sort of foundation to start from.

1 minute ago, (PS4)Boomstickman98 said:

Well then, let's try to think of a way together (god that sounds cheesy). I genuinely want what is best for this game, as I am sure you do as well. I unfortunately am not that creative unless I have some sort of foundation to start from.

A randomized listing devoid of prices would probably be alright, but I doubt it would satisfy those wanting plat for absolute minimal effort.

A randomized listing devoid of prices would probably be alright, but I doubt it would satisfy those wanting plat for absolute minimal effort.

I agree there that people would have issues with that. I personally am fine putting the effort in if I know that I will not be wasting time. Perhaps there could be two seller tabs. One randomized listing with prices and one without prices. If we were to put on a tariff solely to the priced listing, that would decentivize players from abusing the system that way, yet would also allow the players to still get their plat with minimal effort. I am not really talking the plat tax from before though. we could just have the tax be the 1000 credits per platinum instead of 500 credits per platinum. It does not really seem much at first, but that credit amount would indeed add up quickly. This would decrease the scamming and abuse, but would also unfortunately alienate any new player that would want to use this half of the system. perhaps make it a linearly increasing amount of credits based on MR instead? For example, a MR 2 would have to pay 200 credits per platinum while a MR 25 would pay 2500 credits per platinum instead? My thought process behind this is that the higher MR players are, the more credits the either have on hand or have readily convertible items in amount enough to cover the cost.

1 minute ago, (PS4)Boomstickman98 said:

I agree there that people would have issues with that. I personally am fine putting the effort in if I know that I will not be wasting time. Perhaps there could be two seller tabs. One randomized listing with prices and one without prices. If we were to put on a tariff solely to the priced listing, that would decentivize players from abusing the system that way, yet would also allow the players to still get their plat with minimal effort. I am not really talking the plat tax from before though. we could just have the tax be the 1000 credits per platinum instead of 500 credits per platinum. It does not really seem much at first, but that credit amount would indeed add up quickly. This would decrease the scamming and abuse, but would also unfortunately alienate any new player that would want to use this half of the system. perhaps make it a linearly increasing amount of credits based on MR instead? For example, a MR 2 would have to pay 200 credits per platinum while a MR 25 would pay 2500 credits per platinum instead? My thought process behind this is that the higher MR players are, the more credits the either have on hand or have readily convertible items in amount enough to cover the cost.

Issue being the one without prices would just be ignored.  Buyers aren't going to write random people if they have a set price and even if they did they'd expect whatever the price they saw was.  Like how many times I've been called a scammer, blocked, cursed at, etc for not giving the ridiculously low price someone saw on Warframe Market?

5 minutes ago, (PS4)Boomstickman98 said:

Not quite, but that is a decent idea as well.

Maybe have an interactive billboard in maroos bazaar with the current region/relays listings ?

basically i don't see a problem with the way things work now - ppl go to the site they look for what they want they click the link of person they want to buy from paste it into the game et voila "hi have you still got that thing", "sure, inv?" - both end up in dojo transaction done.

so integrating the same function the website has directly into the game via trading post seems the only logic next step

post your item - item gets held +tax(handling fee) person turns up to buy - you get platinum in the mail 

Edited by SilverRook

Issue being the one without prices would just be ignored.  Buyers aren't going to write random people if they have a set price and even if they did they'd expect whatever the price they saw was.  Like how many times I've been called a scammer, blocked, cursed at, etc for not giving the ridiculously low price someone saw on Warframe Market?

Yeah, that is also problematic. Hmm, your suggestion might be the best thing to start with to be quite fair, then we could go through and make adjustments as needed.

Just now, SilverRook said:

Maybe have an interactive billboard in maroos bazaar with the current region/relays listings ?

basically i don't see a problem with the way things work now - ppl go to the site they look for what tey want they click the link of person they want to buy from paste it inot the game et voila "hi have you still got that thing", "sure, inv?" - both end up in dojo transaction done.

so integrating the same function the website has directly into the game via trading post seems the only logic next step

If it was in the actual game, then there would be no actual problem, haha. As it currently is, console players cannot very well do that.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Boomstickman98 said:

Yeah, that is also problematic. Hmm, your suggestion might be the best thing to start with to be quite fair, then we could go through and make adjustments as needed.

At least it would remove the WTS spam from the trade chat which is an apparent issue.  (yes i realize the filter does this as well)

Just now, PatternistSlave said:

At least it would remove the WTS spam from the trade chat which is an apparent issue.  (yes i realize the filter does this as well)

The filter is decent, but people have found a way to counteract that. I have seen multiple people in the past several days list what they want to sell and then type WTB nothing so that it gets included into feeds of people with that filter on.

5 minutes ago, (PS4)Boomstickman98 said:

The filter is decent, but people have found a way to counteract that. I have seen multiple people in the past several days list what they want to sell and then type WTB nothing so that it gets included into feeds of people with that filter on.

I'd also be a fan of just separate buying and selling tabs.  The bots are pretty good about banning people not posting in the proper channel.

3 minutes ago, (PS4)Boomstickman98 said:

Yep, then combine it with how the online status is not necessarily accurate on the site considering you can change it at will, and it just causes way to many problems imo.

Someone needs to start a thread titled "Please DE, Integrate Warframe.market/riven.market into the game please.....?" 

instead of using the term auction house.

It may get a warmer reception ? 

7 minutes ago, SilverRook said:

Someone needs to start a thread titled "Please DE, Integrate Warframe.market/riven.market into the game please.....?" 

instead of using the term auction house.

It may get a warmer reception ? 

Not from me.  It's basically an auction house.  The only thing that makes it somewhat tolerable is it's lack of use.

On 2/24/2018 at 2:01 PM, Tokens210 said:

One problem is most of these threads have no actual ideas to them just people yelling Add AH, then arguments start, then thread gets deleted or something similar

if AH was added on top of whats already there id be game for that but not if AH replaced current trading

Buy any item lower then "typical price" or lower then the price deemed correct and then simply repost it for higher for pages and pages until you basically own the AH for that item or until everyone else shifts to use the price your setting, ive seen it done and have actually done it myself in games with AH, altho those games didnt use premium currency in AH they used game credits

This is actually how market economies ensure that prices for goods and services are being valued at the 'correct' value, not some sort of bad thing. If, for example, people were selling Argon Scope at 200p, but you knew it was worth 500p and people would buy it at 500p, it would definitely be worth it to go and buy up every Argon Scope and ensure that the value of the item goes up to what most people would pay for it (500p). Now there is no difference between the value the buyer believes the mod has (500p) and the value the seller believes the mod has (500p). If it turns out you're wrong though, and the price you set is way too high, you've just run yourself out of a crapton of Platinum on a losing bet.

The benefit of auction houses is not just convenience, but that prices will rapidly converge on what is more or less the 'true' price of the item, based upon its utility, rarity, novelty value, and various other factors. This means that someone might not be able to get a steal and buy a mod that is worth 200p for 50p or something, sure. But it also means someone won't get ripped off buying a 50p mod for 200p or selling a 200p mod for 50p.

I suspect that an auction house would also make it easier for people to actually trade items for plat, which would overall put some downward pressure on prices while leading to more sales. For example, there's a ton of stuff I'd be more willing to buy or sell if I knew I could reliably turn it into plat or buy up the remaining bits and pieces. And there's often a bunch of stuff that might make some money but is not really worth hawking because the margins are crap compared to the efforts.