Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How does negative status duration work on DOTs?

Blackflux

Question

So i got a riven with %99.7 reduced status duration. i looked up how DOTS work and its "they do this damage over this amount of time" so does less duration mean "they do this damage nearly instantly" or "they do this tiny amount of damage nearly instantly and can repeat over and over with more procs" i saw that statuses that are permanent or instant (blast, corrosive, impact, electric shock) see no downside but i still want to know as the riven itself is +149.8% multishot, +129.3% fire rate (HOO BOY says X2 for bows but shotgun only) +173% slash (that's why i wanted to know about the DOT stuff) and that -99.7% status duration. like if i have slash how far will i go/whoever i sell it to cause i cant use rivens still with .3% of six seconds?

7 answers to this question

You'll maybe get a single tick of damage per proc. Slash procs have 7 ticks over the 6 seconds and I'm pretty sure the first tick is immediate, if it isn't then there is a possibility that the duration could cut off even before that, resulting in no ticks.

I've got a boar riven with -94% duration, and that 7% is enough for a single tick, but I've never tested with only .3% remaining :P

Edited by rapt0rman

7 minutes ago, Olianu said:

As far as I can figure out, it means you'll do less damage from the proc because you can only get a fraction of the appropriate duration, if it were to proc.

In that case you'd also be able to get reduced damage procs on any of the other 6 tics, depending on your status duration, which I've never seen happen.

Basically you either reach the time threshold where a tick happens or you don't.

Edited by rapt0rman

16 minutes ago, rapt0rman said:

You'll maybe get a single tick of damage per proc. Slash procs have 7 ticks over the 6 seconds and I'm pretty sure the first tick is immediate, if it isn't then there is a possibility that the duration could cut off even before that, resulting in no ticks.

I've got a boar riven with -94% status, and that 7% is enough for a single tick, but I've never tested with only .3% remaining :P

It MAY work (huge may) as i assume there is one tick a second but there is 7 procs in 6 seconds, so it seems accurate to say so TY to you and everybody else,i mean for a shotgun i don't think you need a full slash proc if you have 150% rounded multishot and 170% slash damage and all the fire rate. so i guess it would just be best to build permanent/instant status effects at all times with it