Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can we get a mechanical change to survivals?

Here's what I'd like to say as someone who's burned out (Self inflicted) from playing survival like 95% of the time when I force myself online.

Can we add a mechanic to survivals in terms of dealing with the "beat the clock" mode it currently is? We get that once the alarms are triggered the life support is shut off (though that's extremely counter-intuitive because....the ship's crew needs LS too right?), so why is it that at any point of the mission we can at least do say a mini-spy mission or deception or MD to reinitialize the ship's life support systems again either for an X amount of time or until they break it again and it can't be "repaired" until so much time or rotations pass to get another crack at it?

As is, there's nothing inherently difficult about going until the enemies are level 60 or 100 or higher (until the armor scaling gets out of hand) and natural drops in efficiency will push you out of the mission anyways when you either can't take the hits anymore, your guns are consistently out of ammo, and/or your melee tickles (covert lethality aside) even after dumping ammo pads to prolong yourself if that point is reached, but it does get very boring to be pushed out because the lowered drop rate of LS capsules later in the mission is what kicks you out, not the difficulty of the enemies.

Additional note: why not if after 40-60 minutes is reached, LS is re-enabled (because only an idiot general would think that if intruders are lasting a literal hour without it that it's just ineffective and change tactics) but majority of the enemies are replaced with their "elite" counterparts (grineer lancer fodder is replaced by Nightwatch troops, Corpus Crewman are replaced by proxies like hyenas, ambulas, bursas, and John Prodman), the only exception being the heavy units being left alone since they have abilities or enhancements that make them tougher or more resource heavy to knock out than the "headshots only" few clips of general fodder.

Edited by (PS4)Foxkid_8

If the timer stops, the rewards stop. As you mentioned, there is one sure fire way to defeat any level enemy, Covert Lethality. That among many other strategies means the enemies are no longer a threat that is rewardable.

Life support being knocked out is an in-theme way of saying there is a timer ticking down. There's no point to re-enabling it.

I was thinking more along the way of if Life Support is re-engaged, it's replaced by a kill counter that scales depending on squad size. But also the timer can still count because you're still in the mission going against the endless hordes of enemies gunning you down.

One idea I've kept for the longest is if the LS gauge goes away, the timer keeps going as normal but the enemy scaling increases by at least 3 to 5 times so it's not just being there on a "much easier" sweeper mode of 2-3 levels per 5 minutes, instead going up by 5-8 if not 10 levels when LS is in order. You're still "surviving" against waves of enemies, just not trying to beat the clock just because you don't have a Nekros, Hydroid, or Ivara in the mix to help the upkeep of capsule drops in order.

Additional optional objective inside a survival mission sounds like a fun idea imo, as long as it doesnt change the current style of playing survival (read: camp in corner).

It could be many things, with reward that gives additional life support. Maybe something like mini mobile defense, or mini spy.

3 hours ago, (PS4)Foxkid_8 said:

(though that's extremely counter-intuitive because....the ship's crew needs LS too right?)

The ship's crew have life support modules. That's why we kill them, to take them for ourselves. No, I have no idea why we can't have our own at the start of the mission

3 hours ago, (PS4)Foxkid_8 said:

so why is it that at any point of the mission we can at least do say a mini-spy mission or deception or MD to reinitialize the ship's life support systems again either for an X amount of time or until they break it again and it can't be "repaired" until so much time or rotations pass to get another crack at it?

Wouldn't net you any more rewards. The rewards you get aren't just magically handed to you in the lore, they are picked up by another NPC Tenno in the same ship who is running smash-and-grab missions while you kill all the enemies. Once the life support runs out, that NPC Tenno extracts. So the justification is, even if you re-enabled life support he wouldn't come back

I'm aware of the story behind survival, but what I'm saying is re-enabling life support doesn't make it "mission over", you're still distracting them the entire time with a timer on board, you're just not playing "Race the clock" for a limited amount of time, and if LS does hit zero, you have to extract anyways, same deal as all the remaining towers just don't work at that point.