Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

1k+ ping

AreeSoothsayer

I've got my settings not to let me join a host with over 250 ping but time and again I join and find myself struggling through massive ping. Highest I have come across was 1900 range. Can't DE make a catch setting. If the 3 players connected to the host go over a certain amount of ping it would cause a host migration. The 3 would ping each other and the one with the lowest average ping would become the host.

Part of the problem is different missions require different amounts of bandwidth. I only have a 1.5 Mbps connection and only 0.8 Mbps upstream bandwidth. If my bandwidth isn't being used up by other processes or devices, I can host a game with a low enough ping if it's a normal mission without a lot going on.

Now compare that to an onslaught mission. If I look at a bandwidth monitor during an elite onslaught with tons of enemies, the game is using like 30-50KB/s per person. I can not host a 4 player onslaught game because it requires more total bandwidth than I have available (you need enough upstream bandwidth as host as the 3 clients combined need as downstream bandwidth). Their lackluster matchmaking system does not consider that kind of factor at all. The ping is low enough if you test it before you join, but I don't have sufficient bandwidth to host an onslaught, so while my bandwidth is being pushed to its limit, everyone will be getting a ridiculously high ping because I can't send all the packets I need to send to all 3 other players at once. It's going to have to take turns and make the game unplayable for them as it will massively inflate their latency mid-game.

We've asked for years for the ability to opt out of hosting when you know that you can't reliably host, but they continue to ignore that ongoing feedback and would rather leave us in a place like we are now where these types of scenarios frequently come up. Not everyone even knows what the word bandwidth means let alone know how much they have and how much different game types may require or know how to check to try to figure out what's happening when they can host game mode X perfectly fine and then go into onslaught and everyone has 900 ping and leaves. 

When I try to do a public onslaught I have to see if it tries to make me host. If it doesn't instantly join a game and switches to waiting for players, I know it's going to try to make me host, so I have to cancel and try again. If someone joins before I cancel, I'd have to leave and rejoin to fix it.

The matchmaker is so bad that it also doesn't properly clear variables or something correctly under certain circumstances and you have to back out of the navigation screen, swap to private and back to public and go back in (sometimes also needing to swap between private and public on the nav screen). You know you're in this buggy state when it no longer tries to even find another game and just instantly makes you try to host anything you start until you clear that state and try again, then it starts searching for other sessions first again. 

TLDR: missions like onslaught require a lot more bandwidth than other mission types and are unhostable by people with limited bandwidth that may be perfectly capable of hosting other missions and the matchmaker doesn't do anything to deal with that situation currently. The matchmaker is outdated and buggy. 

On 2018-05-15 at 12:28 AM, Borg1611 said:

Part of the problem is different missions require different amounts of bandwidth. I only have a 1.5 Mbps connection and only 0.8 Mbps upstream bandwidth. If my bandwidth isn't being used up by other processes or devices, I can host a game with a low enough ping if it's a normal mission without a lot going on.

Now compare that to an onslaught mission. If I look at a bandwidth monitor during an elite onslaught with tons of enemies, the game is using like 30-50KB/s per person. I can not host a 4 player onslaught game because it requires more total bandwidth than I have available (you need enough upstream bandwidth as host as the 3 clients combined need as downstream bandwidth). Their lackluster matchmaking system does not consider that kind of factor at all. The ping is low enough if you test it before you join, but I don't have sufficient bandwidth to host an onslaught, so while my bandwidth is being pushed to its limit, everyone will be getting a ridiculously high ping because I can't send all the packets I need to send to all 3 other players at once. It's going to have to take turns and make the game unplayable for them as it will massively inflate their latency mid-game.

We've asked for years for the ability to opt out of hosting when you know that you can't reliably host, but they continue to ignore that ongoing feedback and would rather leave us in a place like we are now where these types of scenarios frequently come up. Not everyone even knows what the word bandwidth means let alone know how much they have and how much different game types may require or know how to check to try to figure out what's happening when they can host game mode X perfectly fine and then go into onslaught and everyone has 900 ping and leaves. 

When I try to do a public onslaught I have to see if it tries to make me host. If it doesn't instantly join a game and switches to waiting for players, I know it's going to try to make me host, so I have to cancel and try again. If someone joins before I cancel, I'd have to leave and rejoin to fix it.

The matchmaker is so bad that it also doesn't properly clear variables or something correctly under certain circumstances and you have to back out of the navigation screen, swap to private and back to public and go back in (sometimes also needing to swap between private and public on the nav screen). You know you're in this buggy state when it no longer tries to even find another game and just instantly makes you try to host anything you start until you clear that state and try again, then it starts searching for other sessions first again. 

TLDR: missions like onslaught require a lot more bandwidth than other mission types and are unhostable by people with limited bandwidth that may be perfectly capable of hosting other missions and the matchmaker doesn't do anything to deal with that situation currently. The matchmaker is outdated and buggy. 

Kek 😄

I have 900mbps optical fiber connection and im always never a host 😄 

4 hours ago, Triptaminas said:

Kek 😄

I have 900mbps optical fiber connection and im always never a host 😄 

It tries to make me host with my 1.5Mbps connection constantly 😞 .

Maybe part of the problem is that the window to try to find existing games is so small. If you have a slower connection you may be less likely to find an existing game in that very tiny window that it searches for games in and be more likely to be pushed into starting a new one? I don't know, but I have to cancel half my attempts to join onslaught public games because it fails to find an existing session and then tries to make me host a new one. Even turning on the laptop setting in options (even though I'm not actually on a laptop) as some suggested to make you host less has absolutely no discernible affect on how often it tries to make me host. 

If they'd just add a never host option so you just sit there waiting to find a session until it finds one, all of us middle of nowhere crap internet people could avoid ever hosting without having to jump through hoops trying to get the system to not make us host.