Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Players Need Informed About The Stalker

0Pinger

Been in a few pugs lately that have had stalker visits and each time same question wtf was that that just killed me, as they don't visit the forums or read the wiki.  Currently other than begin killed by it, that is the first notice to any new player that is the cost of killing bosses.  An annoyed new player with no revives left in a mission/alert[twice last night] that finds out the hard way, will they continue playing or just stop.

Let them know somehow that killing a boss has cost, if you want to keep them playing and eventually paying for plat/founder

Yea...no. I rather have that surprise factor be there. When the Stalker was first implemented, there was ZERO announcement about it. So when it happened for the first time, I S#&$ my pants and thought, "THIS IS @(*()$ AWESOME!" But really, if dying from a creepy dude coming out of nowhere when he basically implies, "I'mma kill you" is gonna stop said people from playing a game, then maybe they shouldn't play games to begin with if they aren't willing to figure S#&$ out for themselves.

Let them know somehow that killing a boss has cost, if you want to keep them playing and eventually paying for plat/founder

Easy way: Introduce him to the lore proper.

We kill a boss a few times, Lotus mentions that there might be some retaliation for it (duh).

Then you start hearing mentions about a Tenno working for the Corpus/Grineer.

And only when you've heard both and can connect the dots, does the Stalker show up the first time.

True. If some kind of tutorial explained the existence of the Stalker it would no longer be fun and mysterious. But I do understand what you are saying. Perhaps making the Lotus warn you about an "unknown presence" and then the transmition starts going static would be awesome. That would perhaps hint that it's an enemy instead of a bug or a glitch. 

Edited by J.C.Santos

My first encounter with Stalker was well before I logged into the forums or read any of the wiki. This is what made it interesting an enjoyable.

Forcing spoilers on everyone isn't a good thing. Some people like being able to encounter the unexpected.

We need more surprise in the mission. Not less.

MORE!

However, these surprise encounter should be rewarding. The recent commander bug (which mess their drop table into one of Hek) was pretty good. Guarantee mod/mat drop is good way to reward player. Add more stuff like Stalker like rare "Steve" the Pink Ancient", "Scott" the badass heavy gunner, and "Geoff" the Corpus Tech that have guarantee drop would be awesome.

I think the Stalker announces himself well enough already. One minute of the world dimming and cryptic messages including "Did you think your crimes against [recent boss] would go unpunished?". That is more than enough for anyone to get the hint that there's about to be an ordeal.

I think the Stalker announces himself well enough already. One minute of the world dimming and cryptic messages including "Did you think your crimes against [recent boss] would go unpunished?". That is more than enough for anyone to get the hint that there's about to be an ordeal.

Yeah.

Now he finds me for bosses that I had not killed in ages, maybe he just peeved at me for looting his stuff :)

It'd be nice if the Stalker didn't one-shot most mid-level frames, even high-level ones that aren't Rhino with that ridiculously OP Slash Dash of his.

His arrows do 200+ damage (while newbies/lowbies have barely 300 due to scarcity of mods nowadays).

And you get no second chances to actually kill the stupid thing and he LOVES popping up in low-level worlds while you're using low-leveled frames just to be cheap.

The stupid idiot will never pop when I have my Rhino, Acrid, Flux Rifle, etc....no, he'll wait until I equip something like my low-level Saryn and I have Afuris or Grakata or something stupid like that equipped... sigh.

For experienced players he's a wimp. For newbies/lowbies, he's this impassible barrier that WILL kill you regardless because he just freaking does too much damage.

well I think after the stalker spawned the first time and killed them, lotus should give some information to the stalker (JUST AFTERWARDS) that way noobies don't get confused for a long time and rage because they think it's a bug or something, since the stalker is still strong enough to 1-2 hit a newbie

That's just it, after he kills his intended target, he vanishes.

He doesn't continue to impede the mission.

He's that element X that keeps you on your toes. 

More like "he's that element X that makes a newbie roll their eyes and go 'well, that's stupid/cheap/lame'" when they die in 2 seconds flat because they had no warning that he will OMG ROFLSTOMP YOU when he appears in low level missions.

Seriously, go play any other game (MMORPG, Online RPG, whatever) and tell me how many times you're fighting Level 10 mobs and suddenly, something that's Lv45 appears out of nowhere, and kills you in 2 seconds without giving you a chance to even hurt it?

That just doesn't happen in games, nor should it.

I hate threads like this. Seriously, why the hell do you have play some advocate for new players as if they can't voice their own opinion? You people always assume that new players are completely incompetent and will quit playing the game if they die a few times. I expect a game to be challenging straight away instead of playing a boring interactive movie where some voice in my head holds my hand through 2 hours of dull content and explains every single thing there is to know about the game leaving nothing for me to explore/discover.

However, these surprise encounter should be rewarding. The recent commander bug (which mess their drop table into one of Hek) was pretty good. Guarantee mod/mat drop is good way to reward player. Add more stuff like Stalker like rare "Steve" the Pink Ancient", "Scott" the badass heavy gunner, and "Geoff" the Corpus Tech that have guarantee drop would be awesome.

So THAT's the reason I got a random Trinity Chassis from one of them.

But on-topic: yeah, Stalker needs to stay random. Though my first encounter of him was not me as the target, but my friend, it was still epic to have this dude come out of nowhere an having everyone, including my vet friend, freak out. Though this was when he still had his Vandal, he was scarier then.

I hate threads like this. Seriously, why the hell do you have play some advocate for new players as if they can't voice their own opinion? You people always assume that new players are completely incompetent and will quit playing the game if they die a few times. I expect a game to be challenging straight away instead of playing a boring interactive movie where some voice in my head holds my hand through 2 hours of dull content and explains every single thing there is to know about the game leaving nothing for me to explore/discover.

You know, there's challenging, and then there's "Wait what the F*** was that?".

Challenging is, I don't know, getting to Venus for the first time and then finding yourself facing two Ancient Healers and a Toxic Ancient with that brand new Burston you just bought.

The Stalker is... a thing that randomly appears, and yeah, there's indications that something's gonna go down, but there's no indication what, there's no indication that you caused that. Chances are, the first time he popped up, you're not going to be tough enough to survive him, and that tends to leave new players with a giant sense of "What the F*** was that bullS#&$?".

I should know; I was one of them.

I mean, that doesn't mean he can't still stay random. Sure, have him stay random. Just let new players know that things might happen to them because they killed a boss. "Hey yeah, by the way, they probably won't take that lyin' down, be on your guard in case they send an assassin after you", then three missions after you kill Vor for the first time ever there's a scheduled Stalker attack, then you're on your own. Or somethin' like that; that's a bad example.

Let newbies know what the F*** is going on at first. Don't just randomly toss the Stalker at them, then expect them to wiki it or remain paranoid for the next twenty missions.

The Stalker is... a thing that randomly appears, and yeah, there's indications that something's gonna go down, but there's no indication what, there's no indication that you caused that. Chances are, the first time he popped up, you're not going to be tough enough to survive him, and that tends to leave new players with a giant sense of "What the F*** was that bullS#&$?".

I was a new player at first, shocking right, and my reaction to the stalker was more like this: "holy crap, I died but that was awesome!".

The lack of complaining from new players speaks for itself so don't act like you're representing them or something.