Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

We Want A Railgun Megathread!

r0ckwolf

taw0wES.png?1

t0MqKwe.jpg?1

9YkceUG.jpg?1

Generally my opinion is that we have enough Weapons in the game, however this is one of the Weapons i think is still really missing. It would fit the style of the game perfectly and all the mechanics are already supported in the game (charge shot; puncture).

I´m thinking Gray Fox (Cyborg Ninja), Metal Gear and Halo for the artstyle!^^

Bring on the bumps for this one. And don´t you dare move this Thread boyz. :P

-----------------------------------------------

Edit: Lanka is NOT, in no way, a Railgun!!! Thanks for noticing. If it were, this Thread would not exist!!! ;)

-----------------------------------------------

Edit²: If anyone employed at DE cares to read this, this is what the discussion has revealed so far:

-Everybody loves Railgun´s and we all want one in Warframe!!

-Railguns are huge, so if you plan on making one... Make sure it´s the biggest freakin Gun in all Warframe.

-Railguns shoot large "bolt"like projectiles at much MUCH higher speed then any regular bullet or projectile, since the physical damage attributes in Warframe are based on realworld physics it would translate into mostly Impact and Puncture damage (i think, please correct me if i´m wrong), the damage would be enourmous though since the speed and size of the projectile exceed any other by far!

Further, due to the high acceleration and other science stuff that i cannot accurately repeat^^, the projectile and Rails produce extreme heat while firing, meaning the Railgun would need base heat damage on top of it´s physical damage types.

-The Visual FX and sound of the magnetic Rails are an imprortant feature in most Peoples opinion!

-It has to be classified as a Launcher or Sniperrifle! (No 500 Rifle Ammo on this one DE ;), it´s shots need to be devastating, so balancing this Weapon for gameplay uses need to be acheived through Firerate, limited Ammo supply, Clipsize and Reloadspeed!!!

-The projectile speed presents a problem in terms of design! A characteristic trait of a Railgun is the trail it´s projectile leaves in the air, so it´s very visually noticable. Warframe handles this typically through "low" projectile speed, since the Railgun has about 16x times the projectile Speed of a regular bullet and these are already Hit-Scan (instant, regardless of range) in Warframe, it is somewhat unclear what the best possible solution would be...

-infinite Punch Through obviously!!!! (except Walls and other structures... unless DE can make it possible; it would only make sense for a Railgun...duhh:P)

-It has been brought to my attention that the best way to balance such an (admitedly) strong weapon is via an cooldown system.

There are numerous ways to do this: a cooldown after each shot, cooldown after a couple of quick shots in a row, or just after the clip is empty, prolonging the already long reload! Not only would it make a lot of sense for the Weapon in balance terms, but also would it be a fun gameplay mechanic, Kind of a high risk vs. high reward type Weapon!

Edited by r0ckwolf

I would consider the lanka a rail gun, and the dera looks like a railgun, until you notice that it shoots out of the posts rather than the center.

also, what is up with all these "suggestion" threads in GD?

Just cause one guy cant find the right sub forum, doesn't mean everyone does..

Just because a gun doesnt look like your interpretation of a railgun doesn't mean that it isnt a railgun. 

A railgun is just a gun that uses magnetic coils to fire the projectile. Lanka is a charge based sniper that fires a bullet. Therefore it can be assumed that it is a railgun.

Also, most plasma based guns are technically railguns, as plasma is held together with a magnetic field.

Edited by (PS4)MyTagForHalo

As much as i love the Lanka, it isn't much of a rail gun...

The Lanka might be deserving of a model rework since it uses the same model as the snipetron right?

DE did day they were going to go back and remodel those repeating models, like the Orgis and Torid.

I would consider the lanka a rail gun, and the dera looks like a railgun, until you notice that it shoots out of the posts rather than the center.

also, what is up with all these "suggestion" threads in GD?

Just cause one guy cant find the right sub forum, doesn't mean everyone does..

Because traffic

I would say Lanka is a railgun too, but... well, it just isn't. It fires electric rounds, slower than conventional weapons.

A Real Railgun fires physical rounds(they'd deal mainly impact&puncture damage) way way WAY faster than conventional weapon fire. A railgun's base damage would be enormous.

At the risk of derailing the thread, I think we already have all the railgun we need. Warframe calls them bows:

-- Fires a physical projectile that you can fire from the hip or has a charge-up time for max damage.

-- With just a couple mods, you can get it to 100% crit rate for OSK.

-- The vast majority of primary engagement ranges are under 50 meters, so the arc of a charged arrow is negligible. It's practically a straight-line shot.

-- You can even fit Thunderbolt for exploding rounds.

I guess they could go ahead and make a railgun, but I think bows already fill that niche in the ecosystem.

I would say Lanka is a railgun too, but... well, it just isn't. It fires electric rounds, slower than conventional weapons.

A Real Railgun fires physical rounds(they'd deal mainly impact&puncture damage) way way WAY faster than conventional weapon fire. A railgun's base damage would be enormous.

They shoot faster because they're pretty much just larger MBT cannons. Many railguns today need to be hauled around on a flatbed trailer. For the size of the Lanka, you're lucky it shoots as fast as it does.

At the risk of derailing the thread, I think we already have all the railgun we need. Warframe calls them bows:

-- Fires a physical projectile that you can fire from the hip or has a charge-up time for max damage.

-- With just a couple mods, you can get it to 100% crit rate for OSK.

-- The vast majority of primary engagement ranges are under 50 meters, so the arc of a charged arrow is negligible. It's practically a straight-line shot.

-- You can even fit Thunderbolt for exploding rounds.

I guess they could go ahead and make a railgun, but I think bows already fill that niche in the ecosystem.

But a bow is not a railgun!

Why give us a Gorgon Wraith when we already have like 5 guns that basically work the same way? Because SWAG!