Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ping Limit Wtf

bobingabout

Okay, there's a Ping Limit option in the game that makes it so you can't connect to games with a ping above a certain value. Okay, no WTF there, kind of sensible.

I live in the land of low speed, high latancy, "Throttled" internet connections, with a data limit. My ping on a normal day varied in the 300 to 500 range.

Default: 300? That is insanely low... Those types of pings are... "normal" for my country, and most will be well above that.

"Let's set it to something normal... 500 should be okay!"

350.. 400... No Limit

"What? the max I can set it to is 400? That is rediculously small!"

So I have the option of having it set to 400, and often being unable to get into a game, or setting it to No limit and joining hosts with a ping of 5000(I am not kidding, 5000 is modest), and playing with statues and spontanious instantanious death because I've been a statue and target on the host's computer, and shot to death without even knowing it.

Solution, Add more options up to 1000 like a normal game, or even allow you to enter a value yourself.

Edited by bobingabout

It's not playing if it above 400 then it no longer enjoyable (as intended), just pure farming.

You are playing the game in a  wrong way..

This is PvE not PvP, 400 to 500 won't make much of a different gameplay wise, but can be the difference between getting into a game and not.

I don't live in a land of perfect internet, like America, I live in a land of "We're a monopoly, we'll charge you 10 times what everyone else gets charged and like it, or use a 2G wireless dongle as an alternative", yes, 2G, because 3G is so clogged due to the local monopoly, you can't connect to 3G.

ahem...

400 to 500 won't make much of a difference, but no limit means I end up connecting to people with a ping of well above 1000, and THOSE games arn't enjoyable anymore.

I don't live in a land of perfect internet, like America,

Ok, until you said this, your description of your Internet had me convinced you DO live in America.

The USA has one of the worst internet infrastructures in the First World. Where do you live where it's worse?

EDIT: Not being skeptical or sarcastic; I'm legitimately curious.

Edited by OblivionNecroninja

My ping can go up to 1k at times so im kind of worried to think what nightmare you must be going through with 5k ping in a match, all I can say is lag issues are having a tremendous effect on all of us and making the game less enjoyable so you have my +1

From my experience, the ping limit setting is rather useless. The thing that makes you lag is the limited upload bandwith

from hosts connection. Every time I'm lagging, and i asked the host what connection he is using...it is way below 100 kB/s

upstream. I don't have seen any lags with hosts that can handle 100 kB/s + upload, never. Doesn't matter if they are

physically 10000 miles away from me, or not.

The typical scene with laggy hosts, where drops fall down with the speed of 1 inch/minute, mobs appear out of

nothing, team mates running without moving... has barely something to do with latency.

It is just the host, unable to upload/spread the necessary data to the clients with his limited connection.

(You can reach 130 kB/s upload on maps like Kiste on a full team, as the host.)

Ok, until you said this, your description of your Internet had me convinced you DO live in America.

The USA has one of the worst internet infrastructures in the First World. Where do you live where it's worse?

EDIT: Not being skeptical or sarcastic; I'm legitimately curious.

Me? UK, the land of ADSL everywhere!

2Mbit/s is... good in some places, here we're lucky and at least get a 1 up 8 down, but that isn't really good enough to host warframe.

my friend who lives in australia, we usually don't talk about his internet, his is like what mine was 10 years ago, except with an even worse ping.

General scale: America > UK > Australia.

Stop arguing, I think something wrong with your region setting.

Im in Vietnam (which world was that, 2nd?) and never have to wait for for more than 1' with ping 200 cap, Asia region.

Yes, in some beginner map it hard to find team made. Just try to solo it, or join a clan and call someone to help you out.

I'm not complaining about the game, I'm just asking to give us a little more control over these options... Just today, I'm waiting over 20 mins to get into a game.

I finally gave up and set it to No Limit, and got into a game with a ping of 450 instantly, and it was perfectly playable.

however, 450 was just luck, without the discrimination of a filter, it could just as easily have been a 2000 or 5000 ping game.

Edited by bobingabout

The typical scene with laggy hosts, where drops fall down with the speed of 1 inch/minute, mobs appear out of

nothing, team mates running without moving... has barely something to do with latency.

+1

personally, i have my Ping limit set to 175, though honestly i know i shouldn't throttle that much. just in every other game (or most atleast), it's always been those people on the other side of the planet that really screw things up usually.

2Mbit/s is... good in some places, here we're lucky and at least get a 1 up 8 down, but that isn't really good enough to host warframe.

1Mbit Upload speed is ~125KB/s, which is fine for hosting a 4 player match. when i'm hosting a 4 player match, my data flow is ~50-120KB/s.

so, as long as your network is clear, and the area is clear and not bogged down with people downloading Wikipedia or something dumb, you should be able to host without issue.

so it's not Upload speed that's making you unable to host a public match.

Edited by taiiat

Stop arguing, I think something wrong with your region setting.

Im in Vietnam (which world was that, 2nd?) and never have to wait for for more than 1' with ping 200 cap, Asia region.

Yes, in some beginner map it hard to find team made. Just try to solo it, or join a clan and call someone to help you out.

Lord, I have no idea what "world" Vietnam counts as these days. The "world" system broke down not long after the cold war ended.

FYI it was

1st world = USA, NATO

2nd world = communist countries

3rd world = everyone else

What is ironic is that ping has very little to do with how laggy a game is.

You can have a ping of 50ms and have lots of lag if you have a small upstream if you're a host.

RE:What's needed to host:

2Mbit is easily enough to host a 2-3 person game in Warframe. 4 Person as long as you are not doing Defense or especially Mobile Defense.

I have 3Mbit down, and .75Mbit up and I can host a 3-person Exterminate/Raid/Sabotage/etc.....just no Defense/Mobile Defense.

Also, your computer's power matters a lot too. If your computer is not powerful enough to host, you will cause lag even if you have 10Mbit.

personally, i have my Ping limit set to 175, though honestly i know i shouldn't throttle that much. just in every other game (or most atleast), it's always been those people on the other side of the planet that really screw things up usually.

Dude.

It isn't the ping that is causing those ridiculously laggy games you see.

It is limited Upstream.

Let's assume someone tries to Host with Dialup. When I used to have Dialup many years back, I "enjoyed" 150ms pings to Yahoo (Google didn't exist back then). That was on 56.6k Dialup.

Let's assume I attempted to host Warframe with that. You can predict the results -- it would take forever for anything to happen, and mobs would stand still. 100% unplayable game. But guess what? You'd still connect to me, because your ping to me would be 150ms, lower than the 175 you have it set to.

Sadly, your average ADSL customer in rural areas or 2nd world countries are limited to .5 - .75Mbit upstreams, which are not enough to host a smooth game of Warframe, unless its only a 2-player of something simple like Exterminate.

Edited by Xylia

This is PvE not PvP, 400 to 500 won't make much of a different gameplay wise, but can be the difference between getting into a game and not.

I don't live in a land of perfect internet, like America, I live in a land of "We're a monopoly, we'll charge you 10 times what everyone else gets charged and like it, or use a 2G wireless dongle as an alternative", yes, 2G, because 3G is so clogged due to the local monopoly, you can't connect to 3G.

ahem...

400 to 500 won't make much of a difference, but no limit means I end up connecting to people with a ping of well above 1000, and THOSE games arn't enjoyable anymore.

350 is already unplayable, 500 and you will see everyone rubberbanding everywhere.