Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sprinting and Rolling

CortiWins

Hey. In the last devstream, you said things about improvements in movement coming in the future. Here are two ideas i like to share.

Sprinting

At this point, i don't see my there is a button for sprint as i don't see any reason not to sprint.

An "always sprint"-option would be very convenient. It would not change any of the actual gameplay, it just frees the player from toggling sprint at the start of a mission.

Rolling

Can we have roll on double-tapping any WASD key? I liked it in Unreal Tournament.

28 minutes ago, CortiWins said:

Hey. In the last devstream, you said things about improvements in movement coming in the future. Here are two ideas i like to share.

Sprinting

At this point, i don't see my there is a button for sprint as i don't see any reason not to sprint.

An "always sprint"-option would be very convenient. It would not change any of the actual gameplay, it just frees the player from toggling sprint at the start of a mission.

Rolling

Can we have roll on double-tapping any WASD key? I liked it in Unreal Tournament.

You seriously don't know that there is already an "always sprint" option?

33 minutes ago, CortiWins said:

Sprinting

Rolling

This will be very useful when using Ivara on prowl, I have anxiety when carefully rolling 
because sometime I turn into sprint and bump right into enemy when going out of prowl.

25 minutes ago, Cloud said:

You seriously don't know that there is already an "always sprint" option?

... there isn't, though.

Even with the "Toggle Sprint" option, you still need to toggle Sprint on at the start of every single mission,
plus after Onslaught transitions, after Peacemaker / Danse Macabre / Prowl, and whatever else I forgot.

The only time I want Sprint off is (sometimes) in Archwing mode.
Being able to turn it off in regular play serves no purpose as far as I can tell,
it's a relic from the olden times of having a Stamina meter (good riddance).

1 hour ago, CortiWins said:

Better controll while under the effects of a strong movement speed buff (Volt's Speed, ect.). Some corners and obstacles are too difficult not to crash into while you are running as fast as Sonic.

There is a certain part on one of the spy vaults on Uranus that needs very careful movement. Can't sprint through it, can't walk through it, can't jump through it; you need a combination of those.

It's probably gona break Ivara's Prowl and while I am sure DE is gona try to hot-fix it, it could still happen.

Prefrence, some people like the walk and jogging animations you know?

In the unlikely event that the stamina system comes back (for maybe a tactical alert or something), you would be using up stamina all the time.

I agree, a sprint option in Warframe kind of makes no sense when it induces no real impediment relative to normal running, and costs no resource. Considering how bullet jumping/salmon-running is the most efficient way for most frames to move throughout levels, simply increasing warframe run speeds to their sprinting speeds, and removing the sprint button entirely, would remove one degree of complication with pretty much no downside (besides running too fast while under the effects of a speed boost, which could be solved easily by not modding for such a high speed boost).

In addition to this, perhaps double-tapping the movement key for a roll could work, though personally I think that, if we're removing sprinting, simply tapping the shift key once (or whichever equivalent for sprinting) could induce a roll. Alternatively, one could remove that key entirely, and instead have the player perform a roll by tapping the crouch button while in motion, as opposed to holding it for a slide. Rolling is itself kind of redundant when sliding produces a similar lurch in the target direction, and I think Warframe's entire movement system would already be complete with just WASD, a crouch button, a jump button, and aim-gliding.

Double tap to roll does sound cool, just like from Unreal Tournament as you mentioned, though personally I'm sticking to my left-alt button for rolling. As for sprinting, I feel like warframe ground movement in general should be significantly improved - right now, not only is there no reason to not sprint all the time, there's also no reason to be sprinting when you can be bullet jumping all the time, If ground speed was some healthy large fraction or multiple of bullet jumping speed, then that part of movement would actually feel relevant.

And then to make the enemies relevant, they too need to be buffed up to have some healthy fraction of our speed, because watching the impossibly slow Grineer lancer trying to slowly waddle by is sorta sad.

In terms of other movement improvements, I believe they mentioned a return to the old wallrun - which combined with generally faster WASD speeds for Warframes should be great. Then there'd be designing maps to require this parkour in a way that feels like we just barely made it and that it has real consequences, like the arenas from Quake Champions relative to QC's movement. I'd also wish for knockback instead of knockdown mechanics, at least for some things, to further boost our movement, but that's up in the air.

Edited by DarkwarriorJ