The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

500 Free Platinum For Iphone/ipad Users

xveganrox

Don't be mean, just be patient like the rest of us.  My wife is still waiting for her code, she sent her email yesterday.  I'll sacrifice mine if she doesn't get one because I loooooove her :)

'Don't be mean, just be patient'?  Did you read my comment.  It's about being patient and criticising the people who sub'd and then demanded their codes asap even before the stated date.

Ok. I just got an e-mail from PC Gamer UK welcoming me to PC Gamer.

I was one of the people who owned an iPad and read the OPs instructions on Sept 3rd and subscribed that way.

Yesterday I did write them to give them a copy of my iTunes subscription confirmation and a screengrab of the current issue being available on my iPad.

It seems that it takes them about a week to confirm that you are a new subscriber via iTunes. (That is after you opt yes for letting Apple share your info with the publisher, etc.)

Maybe I'll be getting a code SOON™???

You know, it said in the magazine that emails would go out on the 6th and it could take a couple of days to do them all.  Why did anyone send emails BEFORE the 6th?  If it was up to me anyone sending emails chasing up this FREE gift so early would have been put to the back of the queue.

The problem is that it isn't technically a free gift. We exchanged personal information with them in return for 500 Platinum. They will go on to sell that information to other companies and make a profit. It was a transaction, and a transaction to which they haven't followed up on their end. Yes, I agree  that people should have at least read that the e-mail process might take a couple of days, and that they should just wait and be patient for those two (assuming they were using the word "couple" in a literal context) days. These processes take time, and that is understandable: I didn't email them until Tuesday, which is 3 business days, and surely enough time to e-mail out a code, and definitely respectful of their "couple of days" time frame. 

But, please, don't ever assume any organisation will give you anything for free. They might mask the transaction by making you get your end of the bargain via a free trial subscription to their magazine -- thus making you think you are just helping in getting their name out there. Realistically, however, we sold them a product (i.e. our personal information) and they need to respond by making the agreed payment for that information in a timely fashion (i.e. within the time frame of "a couple of days" that we were given to expect whereupon we agreed to the transaction).

Awwww yisssss! Just got my 500 platinum code! Ladies and gents, if you've already sent your receipt to Giftageddon, try sending it again! That's exactly what I did (decided to yolo it, lol) and, voila, moments later I was presented with the code! You just gotta be patient :)

Awwww yisssss! Just got my 500 platinum code! Ladies and gents, if you've already sent your receipt to Giftageddon, try sending it again! That's exactly what I did (decided to yolo it, lol) and, voila, moments later I was presented with the code! You just gotta be patient :)

When did you send the first email to giftageddon?

The problem is that it isn't technically a free gift. We exchanged personal information with them in return for 500 Platinum. They will go on to sell that information to other companies and make a profit. It was a transaction, and a transaction to which they haven't followed up on their end. Yes, I agree  that people should have at least read that the e-mail process might take a couple of days, and that they should just wait and be patient for those two (assuming they were using the word "couple" in a literal context) days. These processes take time, and that is understandable: I didn't email them until Tuesday, which is 3 business days, and surely enough time to e-mail out a code, and definitely respectful of their "couple of days" time frame. 

But, please, don't ever assume any organisation will give you anything for free. They might mask the transaction by making you get your end of the bargain via a free trial subscription to their magazine -- thus making you think you are just helping in getting their name out there. Realistically, however, we sold them a product (i.e. our personal information) and they need to respond by making the agreed payment for that information in a timely fashion (i.e. within the time frame of "a couple of days" that we were given to expect whereupon we agreed to the transaction).

Ironically I design magazines for a living so I'm aware of the way they use personal info, however it's mainly the advertising that brings in the income. What's valuable for them is the number of subscribers so as long as they can get enough people to buy/subscribe then it's easily worth it to give out loads of these codes.

Ironically I design magazines for a living so I'm aware of the way they use personal info, however it's mainly the advertising that brings in the income. What's valuable for them is the number of subscribers so as long as they can get enough people to buy/subscribe then it's easily worth it to give out loads of these codes.

It isn't ironic; it is a coincidence. That aside, I never said personal information was the main source of income; of course it isn't. However, they do sell it, it is a product and the transaction agreement must be honoured. That is my argument, and it is valid.

Edited by TheSeannachaidh

Considering the wording in the article seems to assume that IF you have a current subscription the codes would be sent out on the 6th but may take "a couple days" which to me reads like a vague way of saying be patient.

And I just got an email from PCgamer acknowledging the subscription, i'm guessing it could still be a couple more days for the code.

I sub'd on the 4th, and have yet to send an email to them.  I'll post back when I get the code.

I didn't say it wasn't valid. But the value of of one person's personal info from iOS does not even come close to the monetary value of the 500 plat. The point you decided was worth making was that the code isn't free. My point wasn't about that, it was about people being impatient. The imbalance of the transaction is pretty much free anyway as in I can't see why you would expend the effort to make that point.

Also, the code isn't in return for your information. The magazine is the product, you're getting their product in return for remuneration. You seem to think that you get the magazine in return for your information.

Anyway, you're right that they use your personal info. Mainly for their own research I should add, but I'm sure they sell it on for a small amount per unit. Congrats :)