Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Switch to PC Cross Save

Dosed11

Hi - firstly, yes i used the search function and appreciate there are a number of topics about cross platform/cross save etc etc. I feel that these 2 discussions often get rolled into the same conversation, when i think the thing most existing players care about is cross save/shared progression between the Switch (highly mobile) and say, their PC (less mobile). 

I understand that the PC and the consoles (including Switch) are on different release cycles (ie PC is first due to the flexibility of rapid release patches to fix bugs etc) and the need for Warframe to have constant updates to keep its player base engaged. This i think would therefor cause sync issues when new content drops on PC first? (ie when Fortuna drops, there will be tonnes of new items/weapons etc that could not be replicated). But would it not be possible to still sync progression, and just not display assets that the - say Switch version - does not recognise?

I (clearly) have zero experience at game development - so I am certain that it is FAR more complicated than that. But seriously, this game is grindy (duh!) where I feel the grind most as a newish player is having to constantly be leveling weapons/frames from scratch to progress MR. I would LOVE a way to just run alerts/relics/invasions etc on the highly mobile switch - whilst leaving the 'proper' playing to when I do get a chance to jump on my PC.

I know there is a one off sync coming, but that would just fragment the experience for me without these 2 accounts syncing more than once.

Would this utopian state outline above ever be possible? 

On the flip side - this issue (whilst dampening my excitement for the switch version) has made me realise the Warframe actually runs ok(ish) on my Surface Pro 4 - but its just not as convenient as the pick up and play nature of the switch.

Edited by Dosed11

Just now, taiiat said:

being able to copy your PC Warframe Account to Switch on release is already planned.

He means being able to copy progress back and forth as he pleases, for example the Wii U/3DS Monster Hunter games allowed you to do this so you could take your progress on the go and keep going when you get home, even though it's different platforms.

I just wish the console players had an opportunity to copy their account to the switch as well. I highly doubt I would be willing to jump back in as a new player after 2000 hours on Xbox. I understand it is unlikely to happen but if it did turn out they would allow a copy of your Xbox account to the switch that would be Dope as the kids say these days.                               

3 minutes ago, --Q--Stryker said:

He means being able to copy progress back and forth as he pleases, for example the Wii U/3DS Monster Hunter games allowed you to do this so you could take your progress on the go and keep going when you get home, even though it's different platforms.

Exactly - I mention in my post that I am aware of the one off sync - but this does not appeal to me. 

I want to grind on the switch, and play on my PC - if that makes sense. Maybe my use case is niche, but i suspect not.

Just now, Dosed11 said:

Exactly - I mention in my post that I am aware of the one off sync - but this does not appeal to me. 

I want to grind on the switch, and play on my PC - if that makes sense. Maybe my use case is niche, but i suspect not.

If the Switch somehow stays with the PC on updates, I could see it happening. Otherwise, I don't think DE/Panic Button is going to put in the effort to cross-save with different game versions.

4 minutes ago, --Q--Stryker said:

If the Switch somehow stays with the PC on updates, I could see it happening. Otherwise, I don't think DE/Panic Button is going to put in the effort to cross-save with different game versions.

And that's the point of the post - how hard would it be to implement, and why would they not put this effort in? The Switch announcement and port is clearly aimed at new player acquisition (100% understandable given the free2play nature of the game). But would existing players spend more if they had access to play more? I think I would (again - might be niche) 

1 minute ago, Dosed11 said:

And that's the point of the post - how hard would it be to implement, and why would they not put this effort in? The Switch announcement and port is clearly aimed at new player acquisition (100% understandable given the free2play nature of the game). But would existing players spend more if they had access to play more? I think I would (again - might be niche) 

I think it would depend on how much Panic Button is involved. Are they just helping DE set up the port and hands it off to them or will they continue to assist? That might be a factor on what they're able to do.

2 minutes ago, --Q--Stryker said:

I think it would depend on how much Panic Button is involved. Are they just helping DE set up the port and hands it off to them or will they continue to assist? That might be a factor on what they're able to do.

Yeh - a lot of unknows. Would love to hear from DE on a DevStream explain it to us (more curious than anxious). 

The other point worth mentioning is the move towards a game streaming future - such as the recent Xbox xCloud announcement. More and more, the platforms we want to play on are going to get blurry and being able to carry the experience across device/platform is going to become more and more desirable.  

4 hours ago, (PS4)calvin_0 said:

I would be really salty if DE make this feature for switch and not for other console...

Your on ps4, you reallly need to talk to them about your salt. They stop that cross save/play not DE. I certainly get the point that they release on PC then console but even if they did release to all at the same time, ps4 would still stop it.

4 minutes ago, tCartmant said:

Your on ps4, you reallly need to talk to them about your salt. They stop that cross save/play not DE. I certainly get the point that they release on PC then console but even if they did release to all at the same time, ps4 would still stop it.

I'm tired of posting this... it's like nobody really know about this except for PS fans...

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/09/26/extended-fortnite-cross-play-beta-launches-on-ps4-starting-today/

The first step will be an open beta beginning today for Fortnite that will allow for cross platform gameplay, progression and commerce across PlayStation 4, Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows, and Mac operating systems. 

There isn't going to be cross saving, cross play, whatever you want to call having the ability to log in to whatever console or PC and have the exact same account with all of your stuff. It simply is not possible to keep the pace of PC updates and hotfixes and have consoles be at the same point.

9 hours ago, (PS4)calvin_0 said:

I'm tired of posting this... it's like nobody really know about this except for PS fans...

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/09/26/extended-fortnite-cross-play-beta-launches-on-ps4-starting-today/

LOL, right.. it took them months to finally implement that. Late but I guess they did. They still say, repeatedly, they dont want to do it.

By the time they did it, everyone had created new accounts and moved on so yay?

4 hours ago, peterc3 said:

There isn't going to be cross saving, cross play, whatever you want to call having the ability to log in to whatever console or PC and have the exact same account with all of your stuff. It simply is not possible to keep the pace of PC updates and hotfixes and have consoles be at the same point.

Er, yet Fortnite seems to do it.  So, ipso facto it IS possible.

Just now, Ulfhednar9 said:

Er, yet Fortnite seems to do it.  So, ipso facto it IS possible.

Then by all means, give DE Epic's budget and player base.

Given how Warframe is developed, no it isn't possible. Especially given DE hasn't expressed any sort of want or need to make it happen.

6 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

Especially given DE hasn't expressed any sort of want or need to make it happen.

Um, shouldn't the desires of the players, i.e. their customers be considered here?  Obviously there is a great desire for this functionality.  One could argue that DE has a need for it in that it would only increase their player base.  I don't know how DE's "wants" in this context really have any relevancy one way or another. Unless you are implying they have some non-business related reason to not want to do it, which would be odd.  In any event flat out saying it simply isn't possible is just not correct.

Edited by Ulfhednar9
more

Just now, Ulfhednar9 said:

Um, shouldn't the desires of the players, i.e. their customers be considered here?  Obviously there is a great desire for this functionality.  One could argue that DE has a need for it in that it would only increase their player base.  I don't know how DE's "wants" in this context really have any relevancy one way or another. 

They would have to do something they have said they aren't going to do, which is have the PC builds held back to whatever pace they can roll out console builds. I don't think the players have any control over this decision.

19 hours ago, Dosed11 said:

Doesn't matter how close they work with Panic Button, console update cert will always delay a release on console. While I could see it being relatively smooth if they put in the effort, it would slow things down significantly. Which is not what they want to do- PC *is* still Beta, it's Consoles that aren't.

What I'd see as potentially possible would instead be cross-saves themselves, not a cross-play equivalent (with matchers just disabled). As in, the console can access all content it knows about and load a save potentially from a "future" version of the game (with polite failures on things it can't make sense of, ie the mod Adaptation would be FUTURE MOD, cost 99 capacity (so as to prevent cheating mod costs), and the game refusing to let you join a mission if you have any FUTURE X items equipped.

Unfortunately, forwards compatibility is very hard, and is also the root of easily half of all the problems with the languages used in webdev. So I can see why they don't wanna, there's good evidence that doing so is a bad idea.

Oh and as a note, consoles don't have a lot of Tennogen content. There's a non-zero chance they just straight can't at this point, as you'd be unable to even render a lot of stuff. And gooood luck getting non-techie people to understand why. There's a thread in PHP right now asking about why they can't buy stuff sold through the Steam Store without calling up Steam.

Edited by Eirshy

2 hours ago, Eirshy said:

What I'd see as potentially possible would instead be cross-saves themselves, not a cross-play equivalent (with matchers just disabled). As in, the console can access all content it knows about and load a save potentially from a "future" version of the game (with polite failures on things it can't make sense of, ie the mod Adaptation would be FUTURE MOD, cost 99 capacity (so as to prevent cheating mod costs), and the game refusing to let you join a mission if you have any FUTURE X items equipped.

Yes that's kind of what I meant when I said (albeit not as well articulated)...

22 hours ago, Dosed11 said:

But would it not be possible to still sync progression, and just not display assets that the - say Switch version - does not recognise?

Anyway - DE are obviously masters at their craft - and the desire to take your account portable is obvious - so we can be certain that all angles have already been assessed and deemed not doable.

I guess the only real possible way would be for Nintendo to lower their certification time for online/cross sync type games to allow developers the ability to push updates inline with a PC. Bending to will has not notoriously been Nintendo's strong suit - though the company does seem more willing to adapt and change this gen.  

Edited by Dosed11