Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The new melee sound effects make certain weapons feel wrong.

Gaikki

The new sound effect that kicks in when you ground slam a weapon is a quick swish of a blade slicing the air followed by a strong noise of a metal being stabbed into the surface. While this perfectly fits when used on one handed swords or other relatively quick and moderately lengthed blades, it feels weird and wrong on some other types of smaller, heavier, nimble, or blunt weapons. 

Let's take Jat Kittag or Arca Titron for an example. These two are the heavy, handsomely big thick hammers. You don't expect them to make a sound of piercing through the air when swinging them. Swinging a most simple blunt tool such as a bat will tell you blunt tools go WHOOSH. Not FLING. And they most certainly will not make a stabbing noise when slammed into the floor.

This happens even in between the execution of stances. Take Crushing Ruin and Shattrring Storm for example. These two hammer stances (especially the latter) has lots of downward slams. The new slam sound effect that kicks in every single slams makes me feel so uncomfortable. It's as if it's a skana that's being swung around, not the big long jet powered hammer. 

Same goes with heavy blades. Sure, they are swords and will make a similar slicing noise. But it's bigger and slower. It's ought to make a low-pitched version of the same sound.

Maybe melee 3.0 will bring in the full changes and add in more sound effects for individual types of weapons?

• 2 weeks later...

Bringing some visibility to this. I initially appreciated the overhaul to sound effects, but play it for long enough and you realize that the lack of weapon-specific sounds can actually make them less fitting than they previously were. I'm hoping that this is just an initial phase, and more specific sounds will be rolled out with the later stages of Melee 3.0.

Tiny little daggers making a sound like a train hitting a car if you do your stomp attack, or the other sounds working pretty good with heavy weapons just if you use your fang primes (the real fang primes, not you renaming your melee weapon fang primes) it doesnt make much sense yeah. Maybe a few different sounds for certein weapons DE? Might be a nice thing to have?

I must say i find these new sounds awful and annoying almost ear tearing. For me old sounds were better. I don't know who got the idea when you just slash through the air it should sound like you're striking metal or that weird whirl sound when you ground slam. If that striking metal sound was for parry melee weapons it would be better. So i'm suggesting take a stick and slice it through the air and listen how it sounds, then compare it to the in-game sound and you will find out how awful it is. Same with ground slam take a stick and hit the ground with it. Or give us option if we want to use old sound or new sound 'cause right now it's driving me crazy. Also it's too high pitched.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah but i think on the ground slam sound its not only the weapon that hits the ground. Plus a stick? There is a huge difference between a wooden stick or a metal stick hitting the ground, plus the difference on which ground it its. I could imagine a metal Polearm hitting the ground of a grineer ship (which if im not mistaken is metal) surely is a lot more loud then just a wooden stick hitting some dirt or stone (which is extremly silent and unspectecular compared to metal hitting a metal floor inside a ship where it maybe even echos back loudly as hell)

Sure would be awesome having entirely different sounds for each material (really would be, would add a LOT sound wise) just then imagine all the work for the sounds that need to be done.

Doesnt sound like much work? Then read through this (and just as a notice i dont know anything about how this is actually done, just what i imagine would be nessacary and how much work would go inside such an idea) :

Maybe like this: "[weaponmaterial.Metal] [weapontype.Stick/sword] [hittype.groundslam] [objectmaterial.metal] [invorement.indoorhall] in that combination as requirements just simply leads to the game choosing to use the sound for a metal stick or sword doing a ground ground slam on an indoor hall with metal floor. Same could be done with some kind of trigger system to activate a different sound if you for example use a Metal Hammer on metal floor (since im sure a metal hammer would be more loud on metal floor then a metal stick or sword hitting the ground) and the game auto reacting on whatever material you hit and whatever weapon you would use. Problem is.... wouldnt they need every single piece of the map telling what material its made of? So the game would know if your melee weapon hits exactly this spot in this zone it plays that sound? Plus then needing to do a rework on the weapons adding a stat on EACH single melee weapon ingame which then ALSO tells the game what material it is made of. Then combing this with the game also would need to calculate in if its a ground slam, normal melee hit, strong melee hit, spin attack, leaping attack aaaand so on. PLUS then also adding a stat to EEEEVERY single enemy telling the game what material they are made of for the game to calculate that in as well before playing that sound. Then you might have a sound for each material, weapon type, enemy type hit ect.

So all together this would be more work then it would be worth if you can just make it more simple add a variety of sounds to each weapon or a group of weapons. (And i bet its even more work that would go into this then what i just named, or works just entirely different.)

On 2018-10-26 at 10:14 AM, [DE]erichdigital said:

Thanks for the feedback. We will be making more weapon specific slam and heavy attack sounds when melee 3.0 is released.

Some weapons like the Gunblades or the Tonfas also suffer from the slam sounds. I like what has happened to the Gunblades for the most part, but the slam is definately disruptive comparative to the flow of all the other attacks it has sound wise.