Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Survival Eats Up Massive Bandwidth.

Xylia

So I did the Survival Alert just now with a friend, and someone else on the household LAN was complaining about mega latency.

Sure enough, as soon as the mission ended, I checked the logs in the game they were playing -- Pings of 800ms to google, and the ISP's servers.

Basically, Warframe was eating 90+% of my 3Mbps downstream, causing the rest of the LAN to lag horribly.

This is the problem with throwing so many mobs in Defense/Mobile Defense/Survival missions -- peoples' ISPs just can't handle it reasonably.

Edited by Xylia

It's not just bandwidth, but also serious performance issues as well when you get late into it due to all the drops and so forth. But like they said in the livestream, they will address issues they saw with it, hopefully these are at the top of the list.

Bandwidth issues are the main reason why I don't play anything but Solo these days. I only got a download cap of 120KB/s of a 3rd world ISP, so lag is usually so high that enemies won't die visually (only losing their guns and remaining stationary), rubberbanding and teleporting happening.

So I did the Survival Alert just now with a friend, and someone else on the household LAN was complaining about mega latency.

Sure enough, as soon as the mission ended, I checked the logs in the game they were playing -- Pings of 800ms to google, and the ISP's servers.

Basically, Warframe was eating 90+% of my 3Mbps downstream, causing the rest of the LAN to lag horribly.

This is the problem with throwing so many mobs in Defense/Mobile Defense/Survival missions -- peoples' ISPs just can't handle it reasonably.

3mbps is completely insufficitent to play WF. I should upgrade my channel from 10D/25U to 20D/50U mbps to play it at least comfortable. While you're host, you need VERY good upload speed.

3 mbps down speed is freaking fast, its somewhere in the range of 35 -40 from your isp.  He's talking about the speed that he downloads packets at, not the overall speed.  For example, i have a 40 mb connection, however if i download something i download it at 2 mbps. as in 2 megabits are downloaded per second.  hopefully that clears that up for you

To clarify:

I was NOT the Host.

3Mbps downstream is ridiculous for an online game. That's ~384KB/sec (that's Kilo BYTES, not Kilo BITS).

Over 20 minutes, that's 460.8MB downloaded.

You're trying to tell me Warframe should be using up more bandwidth than your average Youtube video stream takes?

Edited by Xylia

For me its was the O2 items, I was using Rhino but after 15mins I could see nothing but them and could no longer aim while I was spamming stomp, I gave up at 26min mark as the host and my pc just couldn't handle the load of having the whole map full of O2 items on my screen and mini map.

We need dedicated servers, it is time for DE to contact Sony/MS for help with server farms seeing as they want WF on their next gen consoles.

2000 called, they want their 3mbps connection back.

Jerk mode sarcasm aside, dude, 3Mbps peak for a p2p game of 4 man cells is perfectly fine for 2013. Even my backwater hometown offers 25Mbps internet connection for $15/month, and up to 80Mpbs for more, where do you live?

EDIT: Youtube is a bad example, because it is not "live" stream data.

Edited by Loser

I think they addressed that under their breath during the livestream.

I believe the quote was "brought certain problems to the surface."

Really.... now it "brings the problems to surface"?... i mean... now? This has been the same since the start of the game, because Waframe optimization is sadly horrible, networking is the worst in any game i remember playing..... and the full p2p aspect, draining the host completely into full workload just makes it that much of a hassle...... But that's nothing new, it's been happening since forever

We need a "Don't make me host" checkbox for those people.

And "Prefer hosting" for me.

I can see reading comprehension is lacking in this troll, the OP was not the host he was just in a Survival mission and the game used all his connections bandwidth.  That is poor optimization in the games network code

If its a matter of hosting, there should be an internal ping test and the player with the lowest ping should be the host.  That would go a long way to reducing lag in the game.  But then they also need to find a way to reduce in game clutter since it can get horrendous, especially with survival, which Eis, I believe is why they said that issues have surfaced that they were unaware of.  There are many more enemy spawns during survival than there are in Defense missions, and more enemies= more drops= more drops in fps= rage quit! xD

We need a "Don't make me host" checkbox for those people.

And "Prefer hosting" for me.

Um, did you read where I said I was NOT hosting in my OP?

And I live in Southwestern PA. Nearest town of any size is a 15-20minute drive away and the BEST you can get here, is ADSL at 3Mbit, because my DSLAM is about 8 miles from my home (barely within the 10mi radius for 3Mbit).

EDIT: There is a smaller town about 10min away, and I THINK Comcast goes through there, but yeah. I'm way too far away from the closest cable route and even then, they tend to be expensive.

Edited by Xylia