Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is there a reason why people don't buy Veiled Riven Mods anymore?

Shiroi-Tsuki

Question

I want to preface this by saying that I will admit that I personally don't have any interest in Riven mods, myself. While I like the idea of them, as a means of breathing new life in less popular weapons, with the way it's implemented in the game, there's just way too much RNG and aggravation to make them worthwhile, for me. First, I have to hope it's for a weapon that I might actually use and then I got to hope it has halfway decent stats. I'm aware that one can use Kuva to re-roll Rivens in the hope of getting something slightly better, but that's just another grind with no guarantee you'll actually get something better. There's also just buying a Riven mod for a weapon I might use, but just going by the prices I've seen in Trade chat, any Riven mod with halfway decent stats would likely cost me more platinum than I've ever had at one time. Now, I did unveil one of the first Riven mods I ever got, just to see how the whole process works, and managed to get a Riven for a weapon I could not use at the time (the Ferrox), have no real interest in using now that I can, and even if I did, the stats are apparently not all that great. So, it's currently burning a hole in my pocket, since even selling the cruddy thing would take battling through the walls of text in Trade chat.

Now, with all that being said, I had been using Warframe Market to sell every other Veiled Riven mod I got either as a Sortie reward or through the Gift of the Lotus, since completing the War Within and unlocking them all the way back near the end of Spring. They actually served as a slow but steady source of platinum income for me for quite some time...until roughly around the time that summer ended. Ever since then, I have only been able to sell Veiled Melee Riven mods, and have a small stockpile of Veiled Pistol and Rifle Riven Mods that are slowly eating up my Riven Capacity. I know you can purchase additional Riven Mod slots, but it seems a poor investment to buy a means to hold more of something I want to be rid of.

So my main question is: what happened? Why are people no longer interested in buying Veiled Riven Mods, at least for Pistol and Rifle? And why are people still interested in Melee Riven Mods? As someone who just started playing Warframe this year, I'm afraid I still don't quite yet have a complete grasp of this game's meta and how it effects the player-run economy. I know it can't have been the recent disposition changes, because the sudden lack of interest in Riven mods started much sooner than that. Unless there were some people who already knew they were coming, and the rest of the economy learned via association? Or, since the decrease in interest seemed to occur around the end of summer, was it mainly new or ignorant schoolkids that were buying them off me?

Like I said, I'm gonna be running out of Riven capacity soon, so I may end up having to do something drastic to make room for the Melee Riven mods that are still actually selling, either by offering the unsold Veiled Riven mods at a price that's drastically lower than what they are currently going for on the Market or by just dissolving them completely if not even that works. It still seems kind of like a waste for something that did appear to have some sort of value to other people previously, which is why I decided to come here and ask first before I resorted to any of that.

TL;DR: Anyone want some super cheap Veiled Pistol or Rifle Riven mods? /s

And if not, why not?

Edited by Exadoir

16 answers to this question

I was wondering about over-saturation, since goodness knows I've got quite the stockpile going now and I haven't been playing as long as other people, but then why was I having an easier time selling them previously? Again, was it just because of an influx of new players over the summer as a result of school being out?

And I do have them all listed on Warframe Market at even lower asking prices than what's listed, and I still haven't been able to move a single one.

4 minutes ago, Exadoir said:

I was wondering about over-saturation, since goodness knows I've got quite the stockpile going now and I haven't been playing as long as other people, but then why was I having an easier time selling them previously? Again, was it just because of an influx of new players over the summer as a result of school being out?

And I do have them all listed on Warframe Market at even lower asking prices than what's listed, and I still haven't been able to move a single one.

It's possible. Could also be your timing / prices / don't forget to make sure you're set to online in game and your items are set to visible.

I can't tell why you're not able to move any since if I look at your profile https://warframe.market/profile/Exadoir I don't see any listings and you've been offline there for 3 days (according to the site).

Ofc., as long as they are getting the rivens cheap.

This doesn't mean it's worth for you to sell at that price though unfortunately.

There are too many weapons and too much possibilities for trash riven outcomes at this point so veiled rivens devalued with every new fodder weapon with bad/mediocre disposition.

13 minutes ago, -AxHx-Vile said:

It's possible. Could also be your timing / prices / don't forget to make sure you're set to online in game and your items are set to visible.

I can't tell why you're not able to move any since if I look at your profile https://warframe.market/profile/Exadoir I don't see any listings and you've been offline there for 3 days (according to the site).

That's weird, since I'm pretty sure I have both the Pistol and Rifle Riven Mods listed, even though I'm not currently logged in. I will admit, though, it's been awhile since I set myself to "Online, In Game" as I was focused on finishing up the Garuda grind. But that's only been, like, the past week or so.

9 minutes ago, kgabor said:

There are too many weapons and too much possibilities for trash riven outcomes at this point so veiled rivens devalued with every new fodder weapon with bad/mediocre disposition

Yeah, it's kind of sounding like the reason why most people don't buy Veiled Riven mods in general is similar to my own reasons for not wanting to bother with them.

Edited by Exadoir

41 minutes ago, Exadoir said:

lol because no matter what weapon I get a Riven for, whether it be a trash; pistol like Lato, or a meta weapon like Gram; DE is gonna nerf them with a Disposition Pass. 

Nobody wants to invest into Rivens anymore because nobody can be sure of their value anymore.  Even Rivens for crappier guns got hit in the last pass.  I've been having a hard time selling rivens since the change, even with price reductions on my end.  Be it veiled or not... far less people want Rivens now.  Therefore far less Riven sellers want to invest time or platinum into soaking up the veiled mods from the community.  They used to do it because it was profitable and reliable - now it's pretty much neither.  

The fact DE has now handfistedly done a Disposition Pass has seriously lowered the confidence in the Riven market in general.  (I'm not gonna make a case for their changes in either way - just pointing out the real correlation, most likely causation, of the current state of things in terms of selling Rivens).

Edited by (PS4)lagrue

I still buy them regularly as I enjoy some of the challenges and like to farm and crack rivens at the same time. If you were on PS4 I'd grab some from you.

I don't know wf market but does it show the challenges in your listing? Makes all the difference, for me at least. I use trade chat, no link = no sale.

Riven market has cooled significantly, most likely the dispo pass.  People didn't think DE would do it, but they did.  This in turn hits the veiled market as well.  Veiled shotgun rivens used to go for around 100p, but now it's more like 40-50 right now.  Funny thing is, it wasn't a giant hit to most weapons.  Some got noticeably weaker, but not by THAT much.  

Personally, I like that the riven market is coming down from its insane prices.  I actually see *gasp* reasonable prices for decent rivens.  Ofc there are still the idiots who are trying to sell a Groll Fang riven for 1K plat and asking to buy a Rubico riven for 100, but those people are delusional.  

3 hours ago, -AxHx-Vile said:

Well...don't know about PS4...but in the last 30 days Warframe had it's all-time peak in playernumbers.

https://steamcharts.com/app/230410

I am certainly no gaming "geek" but do steam numbers cover the whole player base? Wouldn't think so.

I can only go off simple things like the number of players playing in the clan, the number of players / friends that have returned to other games, for example D2, the slow speed of posts in the in game trade chat, for example 3-6 months ago you couldn't view the posts without putting in a filter, now you can make a post and it may still be on the screen or one scroll down after 120 seconds, the difficulty finding a full team when loading into missions in public. As I said, I am certainly no gaming geek (i am a "mature" aged gamer) and can just go but what I have experienced.

Have fun and may RNG be forever in your favor.

Edited by (PS4)Deadmennwalking

28 minutes ago, -AxHx-Vile said:

What do you mean with "stream numbers"? The link shows the amount of people in Warframe on Steam.

Sorry steam numbers, (will edit post). I am pretty sure I read some other players discussing how these numbers only represent a portion of the total player base. Also, I don't know the answer, but, do the steam number show players actually playing each day and the hours played or that have played some time during the given period, or just log in for the daily reward, (which again reading other players chat seems to be quite popular). Apologies for my lack of knowledge.

Also the steam numbers show a drop in average players from July to October of 24%. That is huge.

Again, I am no gaming geek and am only going by what I am experiencing in the game.

Edited by (PS4)Deadmennwalking

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Deadmennwalking said:

Sorry steam numbers, (will edit post). I am pretty sure I read some other players discussing how these numbers only represent a portion of the total player base. Also, I don't know the answer, but, do the steam number show players actually playing each day and the hours played or that have played some time during the given period, or just log in for the daily reward, (which again reading other players chat seems to be quite popular). Apologies for my lack of knowledge.

There are players playing outside of Steam, but Steam gives a nice indication regardless. It shows people being in the game in a certain period, so it could be people just logging in, but considering the numbers, it's without a doubt also a lot of people actually playing. Of course the full details are only known to DE.

2 minutes ago, -AxHx-Vile said:

There are players playing outside of Steam, but Steam gives a nice indication regardless. It shows people being in the game in a certain period, so it could be people just logging in, but considering the numbers, it's without a doubt also a lot of people actually playing. Of course the full details are only known to DE.

Also, the increase in "total" player numbers could be due to Fortuna. Which is only available on PC so will not be stopping the player drop off on console.  As far as I have been able to research there are no ongoing "official" player numbers across each of the platforms. I would expect that the total number of daily players is a lot higher than 130000, otherwise how are DE paying their staff.

I would suggest that it is without doubt, that as I earlier stated, there has been a huge and worrying drop off in numbers. The average numbers are what you would be experiencing whilst playing. We should expect an increase in "total" players given that a new gaming platform has been released.