Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wukong's Rework

(PSN)snipe_the_weak

I was thinking about a few posts I saw as well as the bits and pieces I know about Chinese lore about Wukong and I came up with a few ideas for power changes in his kit.

1 - Staff Swipe (filler name) - Instead of a quick jab forward, he'll quickly spin his staff around him in an 5 meter circle ragdolling all enemies hit. (Except heavy units, bosses, and enemies being protected by an Ancient Healer's aura, they'll stagger)

2 - Defy (filler name) - Instead of reviving as soon as you die with a portion of your health and energy, he'll get a 70% damage reduction that scales with power strength up to 80%-90% damage reduction, and for every 500 damage it negates he will gain an additional 5 meters of range on all of his staves, up to a cap of 30 meters. (It will stay a channeling power and won't be affected by range mods)

3 - Transform (filler name) - Cloudwalker is nice, and I enjoy it quite a bit, but as people in other forums pointed out it is heavily situational. So, instead he'll use his ability to transform and turn into a bird, I would assume a Condroc, and fly relatively fast past enemies and enemy made obstacles, it would probably work similar to Razorwing, but it would be a duration and it wouldn't have any effect on enemies. (I personally think that there are better ways to go about this, but I couldn't think of any other powers to fit his kit and lore, plus mobility is really nice)

4 - Duplicate (filler name) - As much as I love the exalted every-growing staff, due to posts I've seen about Garuda and her claws, as well as other opinions about how Wukong would be suiting to this new mechanic, I agree, so I got rid of it as an ultimate. Instead he'll spawn 5-10 clones for 20 seconds that will work like specters, but they'll only use his Iron Staff and Staff Swipe, they will only benefit from 1/3rd of his Defy range buff.

Passive - Godlike (filler name) - when he loses 50% of his max health, he spawns 1 clone for 20 seconds, this can only happen once every full health bar. Just like garuda, if he doesn't equip a melee weapon he pulls out his Iron Staff, it'll obviously be weaker due to it not being an exalted weapon and it will do pure fire damage on ground slams, jump attacks, slide attacks, and wall attacks, it will benefit from Defy.

I understand that this a bit of an overhaul more than a simple rework, but I feel it suits him pretty well and would make more players use him. I appreciate any cool ideas anyone can add to this and would love if someone could come up with something to replace his 3rd for more synergy or appeal, unless other people think Transform sounds good.

P.S. I'm sorry if I put this in the wrong forum, this is my first time posting, please tell me the correct forum if I chose incorrectly. 

1. I see no reasons why your Staff Swipe shouldn't affect heavy unit when they can be targeted by CC like everyone else. You should remove that. Bosses and some specific targets are hardcoded to not be able to be CCed by conventional means anyway.
  2. There's already too much powers with that kind of mitigation. Adding another effect on top of that doesn't really make the power more original. Consider thinking about something new.
  3. You could get the same effect by simply buffing the speed at which you can travel with Cloudwalker. Keep also in mind that cloudwalker opens enemies to finishers, you don't want to lose that.
  4. I never read "Journey to the West" but I don't think Wukong is supposed to summon clones. You idea feels also absurdly overpowered. I'd rather keep the exalted weapon, but maybe make it more interesting in some ways.
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, D20 said:
  1. I see no reasons why your Staff Swipe shouldn't affect heavy unit when they can be targeted by CC like everyone else. You should remove that. Bosses and some specific targets are hardcoded to not be able to be CCed by conventional means anyway.
  2. There's already too much powers with that kind of mitigation. Adding another effect on top of that doesn't really make the power more original. Consider thinking about something new.
  3. You could get the same effect by simply buffing the speed at which you can travel with Cloudwalker. Keep also in mind that cloudwalker opens enemies to finishers, you don't want to lose that.
  4. I never read "Journey to the West" but I don't think Wukong is supposed to summon clones. You idea feels also absurdly overpowered. I'd rather keep the exalted weapon, but maybe make it more interesting in some ways.

Just for 4, Wukong is pretty famous for his clone summoning. That's where he got most of his cheeky behaviour from in the mythos. Pranking others using clones or transforming those ones to animals. He'd also use them for battle. 

As for the rest I pretty much agree with your criticism on his points.

• Like 1

The reason why Staff Swipe doesn't ragdoll heavy units as well is because no 1st power needs that much range and CC at the same time, plus if you're worried about the opening to finishers from Cloudwalker, staggers and ragdolls open people up to finishers. I went with damage mitigation because as it stands, Defy is a selfish downgrade to Phoenix Renewal, I understand there are many other damage mitigations in the game, but the reality behind most tanks is damage mitigation is key, plus the focus of this is making him have a power for survival while also granting synergy with his 1st, 4th, and passive. His 3rd could be better, but that's why I was asking for other people's ideas on the matter, plus no one is ever going to use Wukong for finishers over Ash, Inaros, or Excalibur. His Staff as it is doesn't have much room to grow(pun intended) as an exalted weapon, especially with Excalibur's, Mesa's, Titania's, and newcomer Baruuk's range holding things down pretty well already, as I said they'll be limited to melee and the 1st, they'll have reduced range, they'll only have a 20 second duration, and they'll work on specter AI, that's pretty suiting for an ultimate, especially since there are powers like Nova's Molecular Prime, Nidus' existence, and Revenant's dancing queen. I don't mind additions or changes, but you're just taking away from the conversation instead of adding probable solutions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, D20 said:

I never read "Journey to the West" but I don't think Wukong is supposed to summon clones

Image result for confused girl meme

D20 pls.

4 hours ago, D20 said:

Keep also in mind that cloudwalker opens enemies to finishers, you don't want to lose that.

Naramon focus does the same, but for free, faster and the finisher deals more damage.

Plus Naramon focus is the tree for Wukong. There isn't really anything else that should be used with him. Losing finishers isn't a problem at all. In fact, there's nothing Cloudwalker does that Operator mode doesn't do equally well or better.

The ability could literally be removed from the game and Wukong wouldn't be any the worse for it. :crylaugh:

4 hours ago, (PS4)snipe_the_weak said:

I went with damage mitigation because as it stands, Defy is a selfish downgrade to Phoenix Renewal, I understand there are many other damage mitigations in the game, but the reality behind most tanks is damage mitigation is key, plus the focus of this is making him have a power for survival while also granting synergy with his 1st, 4th, and passive. 

I see that in the build but the immortality bit is something that's pretty keystone to Son Wukong's lore and is also something I wouldn't want to see DE drop. IMO retaining the immortality and running it based on the amount of incoming damage increases powerstrength by X would be a good compromise.

His 3rd could be better, but that's why I was asking for other people's ideas on the matter, plus no one is ever going to use Wukong for finishers over Ash, Inaros, or Excalibur.

True, but it doesnt have to be under the assumption it'll get used explicitly for that. I like having the finisher as a QoL effect, just a shame the rest of the existing ability is pretty bad.

His Staff as it is doesn't have much room to grow(pun intended) as an exalted weapon, especially with Excalibur's, Mesa's, Titania's, and newcomer Baruuk's range holding things down pretty well already

My biggest gripe for giving up on the staff is how iconic is it for the character. It's his keynote tool/weapon, having it baked into limited uses i think would end up feeling underwhelming if you pick up Wukong and are looking forward to bashing people around with the staff.

wukong's 4th should be like a harrow covent buff but elemental based not crit based and its only for him based on dmg taken will transform into god mode with a fully conscious clone at his side dishing out the pain. (number of clones depends on dmg taken and ability strength)

instead of cloud walker his team synergy ability can be mischief based like gives them a certain buff but at a cost like inc dmg with reducing their speed for example ( cause wukong is kinda of a troll after all )