Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Serration Must Be Apart Of The Weapons Not Mods In My Opinion.

Malaheart

Not if they were rolled in the the natural progression of weapons as i purposed.

I know this may be more business marketing... but this Mod system (as redundant as it may seem on topics such as this), is a different element that helps sell this game compared to the boat load of other games just like it who do a tree system.  Simply put, I might not have as much enjoyment seeing my weapon level and do all this for me, the interaction and choice of what to put on, and in this format, can draw people to enjoy it more.

<snip>

OT: Let's just assume that damage leveling with weapon rank is absurd, as you can max a weapon in a day. 

<snip>

I've been seeing this statement crop up quite a lot whenever removing pure damage mods is suggested. I just want to point out that if the change was made to weapons to have damage per level then the rate at which they level or gained the bonus damage would have to be looked at as well. It's not really pertinent to this discussion but If they levelled up to 15 at about the same speed as they do now and levelled from 15 to 30 much slower I could see it working depending on the +damage per level.

I said this in the other topic;

pros;

no serration grinding (imagine the cores you be saving)

everyone will have equal weapon base damage

cons (a huge one);

can't have a super high damage weapon early on. Serration is pretty much the first thing you slap onto the weapon once the points becomes available. Meaning the weapon will level slower since can't kill stuff as quick.

Edited by birdei

OT: Let's just assume that damage leveling with weapon rank is absurd, as you can max a weapon in a day. You suggested pumping fusion cores into them, sounds reasonable but....the biggest glaring problem with your suggestion is Free players. Would you really sell a weapon you've pumped S#&$ loads of fusion cores into just so you can get the next shiny toy? No you wouldn't. Same goes for warframes if you had to pump fusion cores into them to raise energy health etc. 

Then you would have to tackle all the weapon variants without causing mass rage. DE want players to try out as many weapons and frames as possible and the mods system makes it possible. People would simply not bother if they had invested a large amount of time into levelling a weapon/warframe.

They are not thinking it out lol, thank you!

The game is designed to try a weapon, enjoy...and move on to try a new weapon.  That is why long term progression is tied to mods and not Weapons.  Sure, you will have your picks of your favorite loadout, but the game was not designed to use a Braton for 200 hours.  There are literally 4 different types of Bratons lol.

I'll throw in my two cents to the naysayers.

Serration is a required mod.  There is no arguing this fact.  As such,  every weapon is basically only 7 slots of customization and 46(53) mod points to use.  Beyond the fact that I would love to have some variation in how I build each weapon there is another problem with the existence of Serration. 

Serration is not a common mod.  You need it to progress past the first few planets.  Without it you need to get carried by experienced players to get anywhere.  Getting carried is about as fun as doing a defense mission with a Nova.  Sure numbers pop up and everything explodes,  but you might as well not exist.  You didn't get to kill anything and its boring as hell.  Tangent,  sorry.  So,  you get carried through the planets,  but are still at the whims of the RNG as to whether or not you can be independent.  Until that uncommon mod (which might as well be rare given its drop rate) graces you with it's pressence you would be suicidal to consider trying anything solo.

Ancedote: My friend has now sunken about 50 hours into this game with me.  I managed to get Serration via some fluke (and it has since only dropped 3 times for me in total).  He has yet to recieve it (although,  thankfully got Hornet Strike).  We tried farming it up for the longest time doing Defense missions,  Mobile Defense,  Voids,  etc..  We gave up and he just accepted the fact that his primary weapon is going to be useless until the odds are in is favor.  Until we even managed to get Hornet Strike he couldn't play the game without me there to carry him.  Compounding the issue that he picked Loki-starter who has no damaging abilities to fall back on.  I've already failed to hook another friend due to the same problem (Picked Loki,  couldn't get damage mods,  couldn't kill anything). 

So,  I am all in favor of removing serration for the betterment of the game.  If some bittervets can't give up their Rank 10 serrations for core refunds,  then at least make it drop more.  Or,  even better,  give all new accounts the option to pick 1-2 of the base damage mods to start off with.

"Weapon Damage should be part of the weapon!"

Genius! :D

wait...

-_-

So what would you suggest?

Ohhhhh, I know.

Forma'ing a weapon increases it's base damage by one rank of Serration. Has as many ranks as Serration currently has.

Imagine all the Forma DE would sell, imagine all the frustration from people because leveling guns TAKES AGES.

I can see it COULD work, but only if guns could rank up waaaay faster.

So for the time being...

NO. :/ too much hassle, the mod can be moved around into any primary/secondary weapon easily. Per-weapon stats wouldn't. And make ranking them up even more of a hassle and frustration.

No, once a weapon hits rank 30 it's base damage is as high as it will ever get. Once you do forma the damage will be reduced back to baseline. The only thing you would gain from forma would be an extra polarity slot. Personally I think forma was a horrible idea in the first place. I honestly have clue where you got that impression from.

They are not thinking it out lol, thank you!

The game is designed to try a weapon, enjoy...and move on to try a new weapon.  That is why long term progression is tied to mods and not Weapons.  Sure, you will have your picks of your favorite loadout, but the game was not designed to use a Braton for 200 hours.  There are literally 4 different types of Bratons lol.

You missed the point of the post where I suggested pumping fusion cores in to weapons. It's a reddiculous idea. How I want the system to work is still the same as the op and I suggest you read it again. It would make trying new builds and weapons easier because you would not have to worry about how you are going to fit that 14 point serration and 15 point split chamber. Because if my math is right that leaves you with one point on an unpotatoed weapon.

i really cant say which side is winning, these who want to keep serration as mod, or these who want to implement it to weapon lvling...

oh wait i can.... 

just compare upvotes on first 2 posts.

Personally, id like it the way it is. 

It may look that dmg mods are needed in every weapon.

Agree.

But it still require some work to fit in build, especially on new weapons.

im not going to repeat why and how, its all in previous posts ....

couple times actually.

i really cant say which side is winning, these who want to keep serration as mod, or these who want to implement it to weapon lvling...

oh wait i can.... 

Agree.

couple times actually.

i don't think that's fair as for a while the title was baiting people. Then op changed it. a lot of people probably didn't actually read the op.

I like your idea, OP.

And, it could be implemented easily in a way that doesn't cause concerns like these:

I know what you're getting at, but the thing is, all that time I put into that mod. I really can't ever see myself letting it go without quitting.

Why not just copy the Aura system from frames like someone said earlier?

Said this in another post, but it would be good to have a seperate mod slot for just the damage mods ( aura mods in the warframes) but not actually cost power. That way you'd be increasing the guns strength but leaving the main mods slots free for customisation.

So, instead of Serration (and Hornet Strike, Point Blank, etc) all being removed from the game, they simply get moved to a different classification of mods, like maybe "Damage Mod" or something. Then, all weapons get a Damage Mod slot. These mods can only be put into that slot.

The way each mod scales could be based on the weapon it's in, so one weapon might get 10% per rank, while another might get 15% per rank. As you said OP, this would give the devs an easier time balancing weapons.

This way, your idea can be implemented just as you suggested it, all the time and resources spent by players who have maxed their Serration isn't wasted, and since it levels up via normal fusion DE gets to keep their grindy timesink.

Edited by litlir

oh wait i can.... 

Agree.

couple times actually.

It's not about winning. It's about voiceing my opinion on a problem I see in warframe and offering a solution. I'm doing just as the forum title says, I'm offering feedback to the developer. But i will repeat myself, you fit your build around serration, not serration around your build.