Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Baphomet; The Betrayer - Infested Boss [FULL 3D RENDER BY RAZIX! - 11/26/16]

SilverBones

Hey folks!

So here is my new idea for a boss. I have not really played with the concept of an infested before, and I wanted to reuse my old design for my old ‘Void’ frame (now defunct) and turn it into something potentially more brutal. After some poking and prodding around, it seems that this Infested design lark is actually quite fun, and so I have come up with this guy;

Baphomet; the Betrayer (Fully Rendered by the wonderful Petra "Razix" Goodrich !!!)

razix-petra-goodrich-bapho6.jpg?14796011

razix-petra-goodrich-baphogif.gif?147960

You can see the whole gallery on Petra's Artstation Page!!

baphmericolor_zpsbad7559c.png

[NEW] Fighting against RedSkittlez' Typhus Warframe:

65cd6bfe-7e93-4777-adab-f8909c15e749_zps

Some older art...

Spoiler

baphometdone_zps4ae74dd0.png

ambition_zps370d76e4.png

baphometnewdetail_zps43fbe76f.png

Additional Left Arm Concept

bapharm_zps4029a88a.png

And here is his weapon in detail.

BAPHOSAAK_zps202a0dd6.png

saakrith_zps086a5e70.png

And here is Merihem, his favorite pet.

merihem_zpsa9bb34dc.png

This is an awesome render by arch111! Amazing work!

baphomet_hamlet2_by_gaber111-d856ies.jpg

Spoiler

baphomet_textured_wip1_by_gaber111-d6uak

Original Concept Art below!

Spoiler

baphomet_zps5561e3b7.png

EDIT! New picture with suggested blade and organic scarf concept?

baphofull_zps511692ae.png

EDIT! And another quick doodle of him mounted.

baphomount_zps607c70fd.png

merihem_zpsc56821ff.png

---------------------

[NEW] Some Origin Lore, perhaps?

Spoiler

“Dr. Uriel!”

The woman in a sealed, lab-suit came bursting through the door, but the motion did not disturb the tall, long-haired man from his work. Perhaps her entrance was marked by a brief pause in his hand movements, but otherwise, Dr. Uriel remained unfazed.

“Dr. Kelos, you really need to be more careful when bursting into a live splicing.”

He spoke simply and firmly, his eyes locked on the bioforge before him as two live samples were kept delicately apart by pinpoint fields of energy, allowing only select organs to join and merge. Gently, he moved his arms out of the controlled environment and pressed a switch to engage the stasis seal. Locked in time, he could return to the experiment after he had dealt with his excitable assistant.

“I’m sorry doctor… but,” Kelos paused for a moment before her eyes grew dark. “…he succeeded. Davis managed to gain control.”

The news sank in for a moment and as Uriel’s gaze darted from Kelos to his experiment behind him, the dawning realization started to settle in.

“But the Void transference… there’s no way he could have harnessed the neural tremors in such a rudimentary shell.” He said, his words betraying his confusion and rising disbelief. “Get confirmation from the council. Davis is a hack. These… twisted mongrels are not the solution.”

“Dr. Uriel,” Kelos interrupted, handing him a data pad, “…The Council has already ruled your work a failure. After the incident on Europa, they are ordering the whole biocolony destroyed and your notes taken for archive.” She added and then frowned, it looks like she was about to say something else, but Uriel continued his protesting.

“Impossible! My work saved those people on Mars and Earth. The Cradle itself owes its survival to my weapons! I will take this up with them myself.” He said, starting to remove his gloves, but was stopped when his eyes were drawn to Kelos, her hand now in possession of a flechette Pistol, it’s golden sheen betraying her position as an agent of the council; her real identity.

Uriel seemed to sag at the realization of her betrayal. He should have known they would not let his work go without their spies in place.

“The council has ordered me to make sure you cannot continue your work, Dr. Uriel.” Kelos said sadly. “If it helps any, I truly believed that you were the answer to our extermination, at least until Europa.”

“Kelos,” he pleaded, placing down the pad and calmly moving his other hand to his side. “…you know that we are so close. This experiment could be the last step in gaining full control over the biocolony and ending the threat of the enemy forever.” He added, pleading her with his voice. “You know we can make this right… I just need you to walk away.”

“I’m sorry doctor,” Kelos said, even as her finger pulled back. “The Council has decided. The Lost will be our saviors.”

The near-silent sounds of a metal shard leaving the magnetic accelerator was only followed by what felt like a tugging sensation on Uriel’s chest. The round had entered over his heart and exited through his spine, the sharp little projectile designed to pierce even the armored seals of his biosuit. With little trauma to the wound, the bleeding was slow and immediate. Looking down, he could see crimson leaving his body and looking back up at her, his tear-filled eyes begged her for an explanation.

“The council wanted you alive originally, but I know your type, Doctor.” Kelos said darkly. “I had friends on Europa. Some of them are in your test chambers now – victims of your so-called solution. Do you have any idea how hard it was to watch you work, knowing that the council were biding their time?” She added; her own emotion showing as tears ran down her cheek. “You created an army of horrors. I won’t let you continue.”

Another pull at his center of gravity signaled another flechette had silently entered and exited his body, this time in the throat. There was surprisingly little pain, considering the amount of blood his body was losing. As he sank to his knees, Uriel felt a mixture of sadness and anger. The council was simply waiting for Davis to succeed and then he and his life’s work would be ended at the pull of a trigger. Even as he fell back, he could see Kelos walking away, ordering soldiers to take their plasma weapons to the specimens.

Uriel lifted his head back to take one last look at his final experiment. He would never know if it would be a success and that he could truly gain control over his ‘children’. As he looked, his eyes narrowed to see that one of the rounds meant for his demise had broken the stasis mechanism and holed the containment chamber. Mobile flesh pushed its way out from the newly made hole and started stretching out, searching for new flesh to consume.

Narrowing his eyes in what was a last act of defiance; Doctor Uriel reached into his suit, pulling out an endodermic inoculator, filled with the last part of his final experiment; a viscus, mobile, fluid mixture of changing bio-matter and chemicals. It was not ready for testing, nor was it ready for use, but there was one last chance to prove his worth and perhaps avenge his own death.

With the last of his strength, he took the injector and plunged it into his neck, hoping he had enough consciousness to hit the spinal column and pulled the trigger, flooding his system with engineered, foreign tissue. The sickness and nausea hit immediately before the seizures, but the last thing Dr. Uriel saw with his human eyes was the fleshy tendrils of his experiment wrapping around and entering his wrist, devouring suit and skin alike.

The Infernis Serum would succeed.

It had to.

Some example Lotus lines:

“Baphomet. His betrayal was felt over a thousand installations before the Orokin knew of what he'd planned. Once a powerful healer, Baphomet gave himself over to the infested, claiming immortality at the price of his mind. Now crazed, this betrayer bends the Technocyte virus to his will.”

"Merihem is Baphomet's most deadly pet. The Betrayer's hound is rarely far from it's master."

“Do not listen to Baphomet’s blasphemy. His mind is long-since warped by the Technocyte virus. This makes him both dangerous… and unpredictable.”

“Beware of Baphomet’s control over the Infested. His hounds are fierce and relentless. Do not let him catch you off-guard.”

[When Fighting] “Target Merihem, Tenno. Removing his mobility will make Baphomet an easier target and weaken his defenses.”

[When Fighting] “Now - Attack him while he recharges his energy. If you are not swift then he, and his brood, will regain their strength.”

[When Completed] “Very good Tenno. No more will Baphomet’s insanity infect others, drawing them to his mindless cause. It’s time to leave.”

---------------------

Some example Baphomet lines:

“I remember you, [Player]. Your birth was cold and your purpose colder still. Come; embrace our warmth.”

“She lies to you, [Player]. Free yourself from your [Warframe] and taste the bitter fruit of truth.”

“Your reawakening has come at a time of great beauty, [Player]. Let me show you the path to a glorious new beginning!”

“What hubris. What conceit. Bring me your woes, [Player] and I shall set you free.”

[When Fighting] “I remember this fury! Such life! No wonder then, that your hands are always wet with blood!”

[When Fighting] “No pain is worth your ignorance, [Player]. When you are broken… you will see it yourself.”

[Player Downed] "And so, like your body, your will crumbles. Come [Player], I will lead you to a life without your lies."

[setting Merihem Loose] "Help them, Merihem. Help them understand the folly of the Old Kings."

[Merihem Downed] "Rest my chosen. I shall open their eyes myself."

[Merihem's Death] "You dare slaughter divinity like a common dog? So be it, [Player]. If you insist on being blind, then I shall make your eyes my own!"

UPDATE: With Voice Acting by Morec0!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3_Qqz1WLYs&feature=youtu.be

Thank you Morec0!

---------------------

What do you guys think? Any ideas for boss stages or some kind of story behind him? I left the lines vague and filled with hidden meaning on purpose, but he was a lot of fun to come up with. Something perhaps along the lines of infestation control… kind of like Necro’s raise the dead, but he creates infested perhaps?

Any feedback is welcomed!

Edited by SilverBones
Adding Renders!
  • Like 4

Hey folks!

So here is my new idea for a boss. I have not really played with the concept of an infested before, and I wanted to reuse my old design for my old ‘Void’ frame (now defunct) and turn it into something potentially more brutal. After some poking and prodding around, it seems that this Infested design lark is actually quite fun, and so I have come up with this guy;

Baphomet; the Betrayer

baphomet_zps5561e3b7.png

“Baphomet. His betrayal was felt over a thousand worlds before the Orokin knew what he had planned. Once a powerful healer, Baphomet gave himself over to the infested, claiming immortality at the price of his mind. Now crazed, this betrayer bends the Technocyte virus to his will.”

“Do not listen to Baphomet’s blasphemy. His mind is long-since warped by the Technocyte virus. This makes him both dangerous… and unpredictable.”

“Beware of Baphomet’s control over the Infested. His hounds are fierce and relentless. Do not let him catch you off-guard.”

[When Completed] “Very good Tenno. No more will Baphomet’s insanity infect others, drawing them to his mindless cause. It’s time to leave.”

---------------------

“I remember you, [Player]. Your birth was cold and your purpose colder still. Come; embrace our warmth.”

“She lies to you, [Player]. Free yourself form your [Warframe] and taste the bitter fruit of truth.”

“Your reawakening has come at a time of great beauty, [Player]. Let me show you the path to a glorious new beginning!”

[When Fighting] “I remember this fury! Such life! No wonder then that your blade is always wet with blood!”

[When Fighting] “No pain is worth your ignorance, [Player]. When you are broken… you will see it yourself.”

---------------------

What do you guys think? Any ideas for boss stages or some kind of story behind him? I left the lines to be speculator on purpose, but he was a lot of fun to come up with. Something perhaps along the lines of infestation control… kind of like Necro’s raise the dead, but he creates infested perhaps?

For a boss stage I'm thinking of a giant coliseum/arena with multiple battle platforms thats been overrun by the infestation.

For the fight itself I'm not too sure, but I do have a vague idea for one. Since he is a healer I'm thinking that in addition to healing, what if he mutates Infested and they gain new attacks/abilities? This does tie in with the boss fight which I'll explain now.

For the boss fight, since he seems to be more of a support frame I think he should ride a giant Charger, kinda like Phorid minus the sentience. For weapons I think he should have some kind of Infested Longsword (kinda like the Mire, only bigger/longer and more blade-like.) and maybe an Infested Rifle for Phase two.

Phase One: He will run around the arena on his Charger, which has been mutated to be bigger, faster, and all around stronger than Phorid. Unlike Phorid this Charger does not have missiles, but instead will have something akin to an Infested Sniper Rifle which it will use to shoot at you when you're a certain distance away. This sniper will deal high damage and will poison you.

Baphomet will be mainly using his sword at this time. When the Charger gets close he will swing at you, dealing poison damage along with melee damage if he hits you. If you are far away he will slash the air with his sword, which will send horizontal energy beams at you. He will also have an attack where he slams his sword into the ground and making the area around him highly poisonous.

Phase Two: Will have Baphomet slam his sword into the ground and make the complete lower area poisonous, shrink down the Charger abit, and replace his sword with the Charger's rifle. The Charger will now start wall-running and jumping on to different platforms, moving away if you get too close. Baphomet will now be aggressively shooting you, forcing you to constantly be on the move. At half health Baphomet will start poisoning platforms. After beating him he and the Charger fall to the bottom area into a pool of poison/infection.

But suddenly the pool starts rising up, and you hear a loud buzzing noise. Baphomet flies into view, still seated on his Charger, which he has mutated to have wings and his sword, which is now on the Charger's head like some kind of horn. So starts Phase Three.

Phase Three will have you constantly moving upwards across platforms, stairs, ramps, you name it, all the while the pool of infection is rising up like a volcano. During this phase Baphomet will still be shooting with the rifle, which has changed into some kind of Infested Rocket Launcher (think Ogris), and the Charger will now attempt stabbing/sweeping fly-bys. The Charger will also swipe his head and shoot energy waves much like Baphomet did in Phase One, only bigger.

There is no time limit, though the pool can catch up to you, and its an automatic death if it does. If you die and use a revive you'll be revived about 5-6 platforms above it's current level. As Baphomet's health goes down the pool starts rising faster, and he gets more aggressive.

The fight ends with you reaching the uppermost point of the coliseum and him crashing down in front of you before fading away like the Infested do.

-snip-

Woa… you put a lot of thought into that for such little time.

I like the idea of being on a mounted charger, and the infected platforming, but I am not sure I would want to do that for the whole thing. Eventually, I would want the mount to die and the players have to fight him and a small army of infected he spawns.

This fight should be personal, the big infested boss can be golem, and this one is a fight with the Betrayer. It should be more visceral and –perhaps- more intimate.

Woa… you put a lot of thought into that for such little time.

I like the idea of being on a mounted charger, and the infected platforming, but I am not sure I would want to do that for the whole thing. Eventually, I would want the mount to die and the players have to fight him and a small army of infected he spawns.

This fight should be personal, the big infested boss can be golem, and this one is a fight with the Betrayer. It should be more visceral and –perhaps- more intimate.

I thought of going that route too, but I needed to get the whole idea posted, otherwise it would just sit in my brain all day.

First of all, I love the Baphomet demon so I was already biased to be supportive of whatever was in this thread, not to mention it's always good to see a great member of the community contribute cool ideas.

The design is awesome and follows the Baphomet theme very well. The one big thing I wonder about is how his appearance would translate beyond this sketch. We only have the current in-game designs and lore to go by, but I always got the idea that losing oneself to the Infested would wreak a ton of havoc on the body to the point that the previous entity might be unrecognizable. I'd love if something like this expanded on the lore in a meaningful way and we could learn more about what becoming Infested entails for Corpus, Grineer, and Tenno. I'd also love to learn how a Tenno could manipulate the virus in the way he does. Maybe certain physiological or even genetic traits allow this? It could open up some very interesting paths lore-wise.

I am a bit too tired to come up with a move list or anything, but if Baphomet was once a healer, I'd love to see that previous ability used in a malicious way. Maybe as a sapping ability to grant strength to himself and his allies? My grasp of this part of the lore is rusty, but if the Tenno are also infested with the Technocyte virus, maybe Baphomet could gain temporary control of a Tenno? Even debuffs would be interesting to see. He obviously gave himself over to the Infested for compelling reasons, and that should be reflected in what he can do on the battle field.

And you know, we seriously need more deviant Tenno-type enemies. The other factions are numerous and formidable in their own ways, but they do seem like fodder often enough. This is why a good deal of people were once afraid of the Stalker - it was an enemy with similar capabilities and similar lethality (AI limitations aside).

Conceptually this more thought out than most things i see here floating around the ye ole' concepts board.
I love the lines they are in the same vein as golem's only more befitting the kind of semi-psychotic yet hyper-intelligent character you have created.
It'd be awesome if he was Essentially atomized. By this i mean all of his body is a free form  floating mass of virus. as a boss fight that it's self would give it a dynamic far beyond any thing currently existing.

Conceptually this more thought out than most things i see here floating around the ye ole' concepts board.

I love the lines they are in the same vein as golem's only more befitting the kind of semi-psychotic yet hyper-intelligent character you have created.

It'd be awesome if he was Essentially atomized. By this i mean all of his body is a free form  floating mass of virus. as a boss fight that it's self would give it a dynamic far beyond any thing currently existing.

First: Thank you for your kind feedback!

Second: I am not sure I like the idea of what is essentially a combined virus cloud, but the idea has merit. Perhaps he can self-evolve and the process of doing so involved atomizing the part changing and then reforming it?

These are all really good ideas! I may have to flesh out a sample boss fight using these suggestions and make something a bit more story-boarded out...

Hey folks!

Baphomet; the Betrayer

baphomet_zps5561e3b7.png

---------------------

“Baphomet. His betrayal was felt over a thousand worlds before the Orokin knew what he had planned. Once a powerful healer, Baphomet gave himself over to the infested, claiming immortality at the price of his mind. Now crazed, this betrayer bends the Technocyte virus to his will.”

[When Fighting] “Kill his mount, Tenno. Removing his mobility will make him an easier target and weaken his defenses.”

[When Fighting] “Now - Attack him while he recharges his energy. If you are not swift then he, and his brood, will regain their strength.”

---------------------

“She lies to you, [Player]. Free yourself from your [Warframe] and taste the bitter fruit of truth.”

“What hubris. What conceit. Bring me your woes, [Player] and I shall set you free.”

[When Fighting] “I remember this fury! Such life! No wonder then, that your hands are always wet with blood!”

---------------------

What do you guys think? Any ideas for boss stages or some kind of story behind him? I left the lines vague and filled with hidden meaning on purpose, but he was a lot of fun to come up with. Something perhaps along the lines of infestation control… kind of like Necro’s raise the dead, but he creates infested perhaps?

Oh my God YES. Replace this guy with Phorid.

DE! I plead!

Hey folks!

Baphomet; the Betrayer

baphomet_zps5561e3b7.png

---------------------

[When Fighting] “Kill his mount, Tenno. Removing his mobility will make him an easier target and weaken his defenses.”

---------------------

---------------------

I love this idea of yours. It is very original and quite interesting.

To suggest on how the boss stages could work is that Baphomet would enter the area on his infested "pet". It could be a charger or a new type of quad/dual legged infested that is fast moving. The area would be something like maybe 2 tiles long where he and the players can freely travel between the 2 tiles that is connected by a corridor not a door.

Baphomet's infested "pet" would be somewhat fast as it carriers Baphomet who tries to swing slashes at the player. If his pet gets shot to a set percentage of health it would drop Baphomet and "run away" most likely into the second tile where Baphomet would chase the player with his sword, dodging incoming fire with rolls or block them and etc. After awhile his pet would return where he would sit on it to fight again.

If the player goes to the second tile, they can see his pet resting and they can try to kill it. It has high health with a strong melee attack, however if Baphomet enters that tile he would try to heal his pet and defend it before riding on it again to kill the player.

It sounds abit complicated but the general idea is him and his pet, even if this isn't something that would go through i really wish your design and even the dialogue lines would because they are fantastic!