Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can we introduce textures as a new customization option ?

Shelusine

I had a look at anthem customization and while I am not that much of a fan of the game, it's crazy how great of a feature that is and how it would positively affect fashion in Warframe if implemented. I am pretty sure it could be made available the same way color pallets are but I am not sure about the current limitations of the engine. 

Isn't that what skins are for though? And tbf, it isn't all that hard from a technical standpoint, change one file name and presto. The long part would be making the materials and UI for it. But I mean, Warframe has skins, does it need texture swapping on top of that? I get fashion frame is end game, but that seems pretty excessive to me.

Not necessarily textures, but the shaders used for the materials of armours and the like would be nice to match with some of the more exotic skins. It's hard to get anything but the Octavia Maestra Syandana to match the Maestra skin for instance, given the nature of the materials.

Edited by KokoroWish

1 hour ago, Valoroy said:

Isn't that what skins are for though? And tbf, it isn't all that hard from a technical standpoint, change one file name and presto. The long part would be making the materials and UI for it. But I mean, Warframe has skins, does it need texture swapping on top of that? I get fashion frame is end game, but that seems pretty excessive to me.

Skins are a base form, then you have the colors to customize your skins which further your customizations and then you have the textures which further it even more. The idea is to improve how customizable skins are, not to replace skins, those are completely different things. 

I am going to include a video of what it does to make sure that there is no misunderstanding. (hopefully?)

What I meant was more along the line of skins are meant to have certain textures and materials. For example, Trinity Deluxe has a cloth-like material for the "jacket" of the skin. I don't think that another more random material would enhance that, and it might degrade from the artistic vision of the skin. If you were to replace that with a metal material for example, it would lose what made it different to begin with. I think it could make warframes all pretty generic looking if they could have any kind of material attached to them.

Would be vary difficult for DE to do for two reasons:

1. Number of Warframes.

2. Warframes dated engine. 

Warframe could never get anywhere close to the level of customization Anthem has with it's current engine and scale of frames available. It's just not feasible. 

Edited by (XB1)RDeschain82

On 2019-01-29 at 2:50 PM, (XB1)RDeschain82 said:

1. Number of Warframes.

Warframe could never get anywhere close to the level of customization Anthem has with it's current engine and scale of frames available. It's just not feasible. 

Dun worry i still believe warframe customization is decent and fun

D7BF7627B3B903F06FEC69AAE1C5F7D4F59CEFFE

• 1 month later...
On ‎2019‎-‎01‎-‎29 at 3:50 AM, (XB1)RDeschain82 said:

1. Number of Warframes.

the number of warframes doesn't interfere. the color palette change is the same thing as a material change, it would only change the shader used to render it. the engine just adds one or two extra steps. it's even going to be easier than adding color palettes and color changes.

On 2019-01-29 at 3:50 AM, (XB1)RDeschain82 said:

1. Number of Warframes.

That "dated engine" thing its really fun because I can asure you that modern day engines like UE4 and the likes use LOTS of parts from old engines (UE4 indeed have some parts of its code still using UE2 calculations).
Warframe engine its indeed an engine that has been modernized a lot (Evolution engine if you want to take a tech look).
A graphic engine its a collection of tools + rendering paths based on an API, its a modular thing, you can preserve the UI while replacing every single part of it in order to "modernize" it and add new tech support.
EV engine indeed was DX9 based, then added support for DX11 and DX10 (using API emulation through DX11 path), tesselation, replaced its whole particles engine, illumination engine and part of its shading paths.