Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

More variety of voice acting for the Zariman-Ten-Zero

Fr0zen1nfern0

Hey DE,

I was wondering if there should be more variety in the voice acting for the Operator? I feel really restricted in the voices as they don't portray other races for the Operator. If it's in your vision or lore that all the people on board the ship were all white then that fine as that is part of lore but if it's not can we get a variety of voice actors for the children? I'm no SJW and I don't care about all that race stuff but I just want to get an operator that is similar to my own kind right. Since we all get to customize our operators to look like whatever we want, I thought it would be a great idea to add a variety of different races into the Operator. I know you guys can't portray every race but it would be great if we can get maybe a male & female black voice actor, an Asian male and female voice actor, Middle Eastern and so on. It might be a lot of work for something so small but I definitely think it will be worth it as more cinematic quests like the New War are being made it will have the Operator in it more often than it used to be. It's just a suggestion and I know it's going to be expensive for voice actors but I'll be willing to pay plat for voices that portray me. I'd like to make warframe as personalized as I can be and as immersive too. 

without trying to guess the metrics involved in a project of this type i'd say it'd be pretty neat to get more diverse voice options for operators, operators are very lacking in choice as is (for some reason both male voices sound like matured adults) but any further options to remedy that is a win in my eyes. I'm not sure how thematically fitting it would be to do completely on the nose accents from this day and age since a lot of our present cultures/languages might no longer be a thing in the warframe universe, and de could definitely take some creative license on the sentiment to make it more warframe-esque, but more voice choices and more styles of speech would be amazing, and even something i'd be up for paying to have. 

On 2019-02-09 at 8:20 PM, Fr0zen1nfern0 said:

I'm no SJW and I don't care about all that race stuff

except when it applies to you it seems

Edited by Cubewano

10 minutes ago, (PS4)haphazardlynamed said:

It's the Future, all the races you mentioned are dead, all the Operators are former Orokin.

But hey, the option to have a Grineer/Corpus/Ostron accent might be cool, and unlike OP's suggestion, those races *do* fit the setting.

Don't recall anywhere in the game lore it being stated any particular races have been rendered fully extinct in Warframe, not that it'd be relevant to speech. I think what you meant to say is that most of the nations the aforementioned races originated from, and their cultures, are dead, which in turn means most styles of speech associated with said cultures/nations are also fairly prone to being dead as well if not disconfigured/altered through the passage time. 

That said you should recognize that the grineer/corpus/ostron are not races, the grineer are a kind of human alt species, and the corpus/ostrons are just different societies/nations. Calling them a race would be akin to calling american a race. 

13 hours ago, Cubewano said:

except when it applies to you it seems

No, as I said I don't mind that there isn't a variety of races of the Operator. I just like to personalize the Operator to be like myself. It's fine if the Tenno are white and its lore and I cannot argue with that since it is in the vision of DE. 

Edited by Fr0zen1nfern0
Unnecessary information

3 hours ago, Fr0zen1nfern0 said:

No, as I said I don't mind that there isn't a variety of races of the Operator. I just like to personalize the Operator to be like myself. It's fine if the Tenno are white and its lore and I cannot argue with that since it is in the vision of DE. 

"i don't mind the absence of race but also since mine is absent i do mind so can it be added in" - except when it applies to you 

On 2019-02-10 at 9:20 AM, Fr0zen1nfern0 said:

I'm no SJW and I don't care about all that race stuff but I just want to get an operator that is similar to my own kind right. 

Oh hell no, the moment I see this I have to say, I sure as hell do not want DE to EVER put my race into a game. They can't even get white kids right so I wouldn't trust them to get anything else right.

DE has proven they can texture and sculpt anything well EXCEPT for human faces. I also would be totally offended if stereotypical accented lisps came on, because I can speak and write English better than a majority of humans. Not all non whites have weird accents or poor pronunciation. 

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Datam4ss said:

Oh hell no, the moment I see this I have to say, I sure as hell do not want DE to EVER put my race into a game. They can't even get white kids right so I wouldn't trust them to get anything else right.

DE has proven they can texture and sculpt anything well EXCEPT for human faces. I also would be totally offended if stereotypical accented lisps came on, because I can speak and write English better than a majority of humans. Not all non whites have weird accents or poor pronunciation. 

everyone has accents, and poor pronunciation has nothing to do with it. different languages/regions have different rules of speech and in turn different rules for pronunciation, it doesn't make their style of speech any less or more than another, just different. 

I think in terms of operator voice acting having operator voiced instructions and communication that can be used as an alternative to chat could be interesting. E.g. if someone marked an orokin cell, argon crystal, ayatan statue/star etc their character can vocalise what it is. If they marked a particular enemy like a nullifier or ancient healer for taking it out first there can be a vocalization for that. It may not be the best application of it but it can be useful for those who prefer not to use the in game chat.

6 hours ago, Cubewano said:

everyone has accents, and poor pronunciation has nothing to do with it. different languages/regions have different rules of speech and in turn different rules for pronunciation, it doesn't make their style of speech any less or more than another, just different. 

Actually, no, I have to disagree with this. Vernacular English is a common problem even in places where English is considered a first language. It is improper and impacts clarity. If one cannot use a language properly and clearly, it is obviously an inferior form of usage, as languages are meant to be understood. Getting a voice actor to speak the Vernacular English of another nation in an accent they are not used to doing makes the problem even worse. It is adding awkwardness and mispronunciation where it is unneeded. 

On a more lore based perspective, as mentioned, the Orokin were a unitary civilisation. They would have likely standardized their education and language, so it would be strange if anyone spoke with an alternative accent, since nobody would be exposed to alternative ways of speaking. There is absolutely no necessity to add more variety of voices for the Operator, who was very much someone that grew up in Orokin society - even a Chinese, Indian or Black in America speaks with an American Accent with no differences from the supposedly native White, as they grew up using that exact form of English.

Do not forget, anything in Warframe will have to be spoken in English due to obvious reasons. Vernacular English that is heavily accented is not proper English and not culture. It is a lack of effort. This should not reflect in a game which does not even have lore allowances for such.

9 hours ago, Datam4ss said:

Actually, no, I have to disagree with this. Vernacular English is a common problem even in places where English is considered a first language. It is improper and impacts clarity. If one cannot use a language properly and clearly, it is obviously an inferior form of usage, as languages are meant to be understood. Getting a voice actor to speak the Vernacular English of another nation in an accent they are not used to doing makes the problem even worse. It is adding awkwardness and mispronunciation where it is unneeded. 

On a more lore based perspective, as mentioned, the Orokin were a unitary civilisation. They would have likely standardized their education and language, so it would be strange if anyone spoke with an alternative accent, since nobody would be exposed to alternative ways of speaking. There is absolutely no necessity to add more variety of voices for the Operator, who was very much someone that grew up in Orokin society - even a Chinese, Indian or Black in America speaks with an American Accent with no differences from the supposedly native White, as they grew up using that exact form of English.

Do not forget, anything in Warframe will have to be spoken in English due to obvious reasons. Vernacular English that is heavily accented is not proper English and not culture. It is a lack of effort. This should not reflect in a game which does not even have lore allowances for such.

Impacts the clarity for who? Not the people of that region, who are all trained in that style of speech. Something being unclear to you does not make it universally so. And with the absence of a universal language to gauge an accents effectiveness to, there is no zone for what is and isn't as you'd have it "superior" speech.

In the Warframe universe we've encountered at least several languages outside english, the corpus have at least one language beyond english, as do the grineer, the infested, and to an extent the people of cetus may have their own language as well.  Accents are nothing new to the universe either, and have become more prevalent with the open worlds and exploration of more societies within Warframe. It's just the natural progression of any society when left to their own tools for an extended period of time, to start to create their own kind of signature to their form of communication, such as accents, even America whose language was originally rooted in English developed its own accents over time as it became its own separated society. For the scope and scale of the Warframe universe it's all the more unrealistic to think everyone only exists by one fixed style of speech, space out enough groups of people and no matter how uniform you want their language to be groups will begin to deviate and create their own sort of language that fits their people. 

1 minute ago, Cubewano said:

Impacts the clarity for who? Not the people of that region, who are all trained in that style of speech. Something being unclear to you does not make it universally so. And with the absence of a universal language to gauge an accents effectiveness to, there is no zone for what is and isn't as you'd have it "superior" speech.

I again disagree. I can hardly understand Vernacular English in my own country mainly due to the lack of grammar and the interjection of too many non English words. Heck, I can speak two Chinese Dialects and I cannot understand a third. But the Warframe player base is pretty much mostly English Speaking (or standard Chinese, as is applicable Chinese Warframe), so any language has to cater to the target audience.

4 minutes ago, Cubewano said:

In the Warframe universe we've encountered at least several languages outside english, the corpus have at least one language beyond english, as do the grineer, the infested, and to an extent the people of cetus may have their own language as well.  Accents are nothing new to the universe either, and have become more prevalent with the open worlds and exploration of more societies within Warframe. It's just the natural progression of any society when left to their own tools for an extended period of time, to start to create their own kind of signature to their form of communication, such as accents, even America whose language was originally rooted in English developed its own accents over time as it became its own separated society. For the scope and scale of the Warframe universe it's all the more unrealistic to think everyone only exists by one fixed style of speech, space out enough groups of people and no matter how uniform you want their language to be groups will begin to deviate and create their own sort of language that fits their people. 

Did you read the OPs' post? He is talking about Operators, which would all have went through a common education and experiences by logic. There is absolute no possibility for Operators to differ in accent/use of language since none of them were isolated from each other per se or educated any differently in an alternative environment. 

The Corpus, Grineer and Infested all use language not related to anything in this world, but they are not the Operator.

38 minutes ago, Datam4ss said:

I again disagree. I can hardly understand Vernacular English in my own country mainly due to the lack of grammar and the interjection of too many non English words. Heck, I can speak two Chinese Dialects and I cannot understand a third. But the Warframe player base is pretty much mostly English Speaking (or standard Chinese, as is applicable Chinese Warframe), so any language has to cater to the target audience.

That doesn't move my statement that your ability to comprehend language does not make it a blanket truth. And beyond assuming any accent not your own is apparently incomprehensible (not remotely accurate) since this is a game and has subtitles DE can pretty freely use language as they like. The intro to this game doesn't even start off in english, it begins in whatever language the grineer personally developed. 

38 minutes ago, Datam4ss said:

Did you read the OPs' post? He is talking about Operators, which would all have went through a common education and experiences by logic. There is absolute no possibility for Operators to differ in accent/use of language since none of them were isolated from each other per se or educated any differently in an alternative environment. 

The Corpus, Grineer and Infested all use language not related to anything in this world, but they are not the Operator.

And having a common education has no bearing on an accent, experiences would but that's far more complex and I'm not aware of any canon stating the tenno were all of the same culture, or their parents, or that there we no variants of language in whatever culture they originated from. The tenno were all just on the same transport ship (or some, frankly it isn't entirely guaranteed the orokin didn't replicate the event or tried to for more child soldiers) and happened upon the void, the why and the hows of them being there, and their backgrounds prior however, are still quite ambiguous. 

22 minutes ago, Cubewano said:

<snip>

And having a common education has no bearing on an accent, experiences would but that's far more complex and I'm not aware of any canon stating the tenno were all of the same culture, or their parents, or that there we no variants of language in whatever culture they originated from. The tenno were all just on the same transport ship (or some, frankly it isn't entirely guaranteed the orokin didn't replicate the event or tried to for more child soldiers) and happened upon the void, the why and the hows of them being there, and their backgrounds prior however, are still quite ambiguous. 

from the lore I've read and played through it seems that the zariman 10-0 was supposed to be the first colony ship to Tau. Then the Void ate it. so it is possible that there could be a rather diverse background of locations in the empire people came from.

• Like 1