Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Atlas rework and viability, exalted armor?

(XBOX)BoBaBlaxe

I am BoBaBlaxe and I have been playing Warframe on xbox for several years now and can comfortably say atlas is one of my favorite warframes in the game. He was one of the first warframes that I really wanted to have and that I farmed for.

I was really happy when the atlas rework came about a while ago only to be disappointed. While atlas received many new things as well as adjustments to make him viable, all the changes made where either to lack luster or to specific to make a notable difference. For example with the change to atlas’s passive to allow him to stack up armor it felt genuinely like D.E. Listened to the fanbase however after the rework was finished, atlas was swept under the rug yet again still failing to feel like the tank we wanted him to be.

I could extend this post talking about all the issues with atlas making him a very rare find and even sometimes not a welcome addition to a team but instead I’ll cut to the point. Atlas needs changes or quite possibly another rework. With his passive being nearly impossible to raise to maximum and even harder to keep it up at all, he would need abilities to counter act that which he does not have. Also, despite his passive failing to make him the “intended” tank, his abilities being lackluster versions of other abilities has made him a press 4 to win warframe...except his 4 is his first ability.

With high speculation that atlas prime will be one of the next prime warframes, I would love to see a buff to his kit...or a final rework. This brings me to my idea, exalted armor (whether it be atlas’s ability or not). With the rise in popularity of exalted weapons, so much that new warframes are being given them and older warframe are having theirs buffed, as well as chanelling abilities being in a relatively manageable state right now I feel like this would be a great idea for a rework, and my idea would be easy to implement. As we all know atlas’s 4 is widely considered his worst ability by far, with the golems doing minimalistic damage and providing little crowd control. What I suggest is to turn it into a channel ability which makes his passive not drain while channeled, as well as gaining small amounts of rubble from his golems dealing/tacking damage. To counter act this the energy drain can increase as his stone armor increases.

I believe this change would be a great addition to exalted weapons as well as make atlas’s 4 and passive become viable abilities allowing atlas to become the tank he wants to be. With a final change to his 3rd ability making it a good crowd control, I believe atlas would become a staple of what a “good” warframe is. Please let me know everyone’s thoughts and ideas below!!!

Edited by (XB1)BoBaBlaxe
Paragraphing

My thoughts are you should really learn spacing between paragraphs so that people would have an easier time reading something that is not a massive wall of text. I would also prefer the rumblers to still be summonable, though with a few buffs like making them scale with melee mods or something of that sort. Perhaps make the 'exalted armor' a replacement for his 2nd ability as that, at the moment, is rather useless in the game.

• Like 2

Sorry, I did this on my phone and did not realize, I will definitely make paragraphs next time. However I disagree with you.

I do believe that atlas’s 2 is pretty bad for a defensive ability but it still has its uses even if it does nothing but block one side of a defense or mobile defense objective. There are also several hallways that can be blocked off with it as well. I believe that a simple size and health increase would make it a great ability. 

Also as slow as the rumblers are, even if they did do increased damage I don’t believe that they would still be worth the energy cost. With atlas’s current primary focus of “spam push the 1 key” it brings up the question of why would you use it when his 1 does more damage. I still want the rumblers to be summoned, just channeled not timed and with some sort of buff towards atlas himself.

That said I would be happy with any sort of buff D.E. Throws his way and would love to see them experiment with a channeled armor ability. Thank you for the advice!

• Like 2

I really don't like the idea of Exalted Armor. These kinds of abilities have been done to death, for one. It would also have a similar problem to Wukong's Defy, where it's just something that you leave on all the time for a completely passive benefit that doesn't change how the Warframe is played. I want to see fewer abilities that have nothing but boring passive effects, not more. In fact, the rubble mechanic is actually a perfect example of what I would like to see those kinds of abilities become--a passive effect that you gain from using active abilities, especially from comboing them. 

I also don't think it would be very useful in Atlas's kit. Not when he has really strong crowd control and an ability that makes him immortal as long as you spam it. Giving him another passive defense ability would be sorta like Garuda's augment; being unkillable is good and all, but on a Warframe that already has the means to be mostly impossible to kill, it's just redundant. 

That's not to say that I don't want any improvements to Atlas, but what I'd like to see is, say, adding Landslide damage to Rumblers and allowing one of Atlas's abilities to direct them, as well as expanding Tectonics in some way--like making the rolling boulder gather enemies to group them all in one place, or making the Bulwark petrify enemies that deal damage to it or something. 

I agree with you about wanting to see more active play styles but atlas’s intended role is to be a tank and a majority of the tanks that are dominant in warframe right now have abilities that you cast and then leave alone for a while (such as rhinos plating and Chromas vex armor) and I feel the reason they did this is to promote a more active and flexible playstyle.

For example, you can activate rhinos plating abilities and leave it, that allows you to actively run around, crowd control enemies, and provide damage buffs. By making atlas such an active tank they essentially limit atlas to one playstyle. If you are spamming the crowd control ability to keep up the passive then it’s no different than spamming the one to do damage, which also makes you invincible.

I would like to see atlas’s tectonics be buffed in some sort of manner (I don’t think it needs a huge buff either) and I believe his cc is in a decent spot. Maybe instead of stopping the decay what if the channeled ability slowed it down, so that you could focus on other things rather than “I need to keep my passive up”.

Also wukongs problem isn’t that his tankyness is passive but that it is all he provides, unlike other tanks who can do damage or cc.

Please feel free to continue sharing your opinion on where he should go! I would really love to hear it.

An interesting idea but I’ve never seen atlas as a damage frame. Everything about his kit from a wall, cc ability, passive armor, and summonable minions screams tank to me not to mention almost all damage frames that are good right now generally have massive aoe potential that i don’t think atlas has, meanwhile his single target damage is extremely underwhelming at higher levels. But once again I would love to see atlas be great, even if it is as a damage frame!

fun idea. make atlas's tectonics be throwable aoe blasts that the rumblers can throw. If atlas uses landslide on his rumblers make them ride that wave and lariat everything in front of that wave. Maybe stuff like that?

Make his petrify bolster the rumblers dmg too instead of just healing them. The rumblers don't do much dmg on their own and it's frankly a shame D:

Interesting idea. I personally wouldn’t mind atlas’ kit focusing more on his golems, we don’t have very many minion based frames and the ones we do are either enemy turned minion or another pet(Khora). That said, even if it is minion focused that puts more emphasis on making him a tank as the damage done by the minions would more than likely be inconsistent. Great idea though!

i mean it's kinda bleh that they are just there and don't really do much of anything. Why not make them useful for attacking? True the ai is ass but they can always change that. 

Using petrify could draw enemies towards rumbler for a set period of time before the golem detonates into petrifying dust maybe? 

the tectonics will get thrown by where atlas points his reticle and it would become the ai's top priority. 

prioritizing with the minion ai is shotty as is but having over rides like that could make them be alot more helpful. 

tbh atlas feels kind of like wukong. They didn't put much thought into making things synergize that well. Yes we get small semblances of it with petrify healing rumblers, boltering tectonics but that's kinda it. It's like nezha pre pablo rework.

Edited by (PS4)chibitonka

4 hours ago, (XB1)BoBaBlaxe said:

An interesting idea but I’ve never seen atlas as a damage frame. Everything about his kit from a wall, cc ability, passive armor, and summonable minions screams tank to me not to mention almost all damage frames that are good right now generally have massive aoe potential that i don’t think atlas has, meanwhile his single target damage is extremely underwhelming at higher levels. But once again I would love to see atlas be great, even if it is as a damage frame!

But landslide is fun and extremely deadly, right?

Imagine killing map-wide of enemies with that rock fist, would definitely be the great experience.

Btw i don't think atlas has little single target dps, he can deal more than 100k damage for one hit, and is invincible while doing this!. (needs a flat damage riven tho)

well maybe not a riven. last thing we need rn is warframe rivens especially with how tight the riven cap is atm. 

Wouldn't it be fun slugging his tectonics into a massive aoe? Just keeps going till it falls off or hits something. as it breaks it could slow down enemies via mud or something.

I realize that atlas has relatively high damage on landslide but without the ability to add mods to it like other abilities(Mesa regulators, exalted blade) it scales really bad into high levels.

Everyone has a different opinion on tectonics, from massive ape damage, making the wall invincible but timed, or even replacing the ability all together. All that we can really agree on is that it needs to change for the better.

I think if you really want to make atlas a good dps frame all he needs is the ability to mod his fists and maybe a slightly better range, although personally I would love to see him become a prominent tank.

Besides if they made atlas’ one a good dps attack they would probably have to remove the invincibility so it’s not Brocken but also make it stack up his passive so he won’t die. Keep the ideas coming people! I love it!

12 minutes ago, (XB1)BoBaBlaxe said:

I realize that atlas has relatively high damage on landslide but without the ability to add mods to it like other abilities(Mesa regulators, exalted blade) it scales really bad into high levels.

I think if you really want to make atlas a good dps frame all he needs is the ability to mod his fists and maybe a slightly better range, although personally I would love to see him become a prominent tank.

Besides if they made atlas’ one a good dps attack they would probably have to remove the invincibility so it’s not Brocken but also make it stack up his passive so he won’t die. Keep the ideas coming people! I love it!

Well, melee mods should affect his fist, even the riven one...

So only thing he doesn't have is range for now.

And yes, being invincibility with long range AoE would be obviously OP... well... i can't believe that i didn't noticed it...

Edited by Test-995

As an absolute Atlas main, I would disagree on exalted armor. Atlas gets nearly indestructible with adaptation and 1500 rubble and frankly, what would we even put on exalted armor? Steel Fiber/Umbral Fiber and armored agility and that's pretty much it. . The trick is to ramp rubble up and keep it there. As for damage, let me put it this way, Landslide is absolutely devastating if you mod your melee weapon correct. The uppercut ragdoll is also not bad in terms for crowd control when you just punch that mean big baddie that could otherwise really damage the group. Also Petrify.

What however definitely NEEDS a bit more juice are his rumblers. They do fine in level 40 regions of gameplay but you'll see them really being perhaps a minor distraction to enemies in sorties.  And the augment is sadly, just a wasted mod slot. The percentages are just not cutting it for having only one rumbler even.

9 minutes ago, (XB1)BoBaBlaxe said:

I honestly forgot that melee mods affected his fists lol, but it would be better if you could mod them separately.

Um, kind of... but there is khora/gara and such, i think DE's design decision for those abilities could be increasing power through rivens at the cost of limiting build for melee weapons as statstick.

Even though adding base stat or fixed buff for those abilities and making separately moddable would be better as QoL.

Edited by Test-995

Would be cool if Rumblers were always out until they died from damage related abilities and not be time based. Toggle-able commands like Khoras pet, and if you could mod them like pets and change their colors perhaps. Set them to aggro, defend or attack. Just an idea. Don't know how hard that would be to work around. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rimeframe said:

As an absolute Atlas main, I would disagree on exalted armor. Atlas gets nearly indestructible with adaptation and 1500 rubble and frankly, what would we even put on exalted armor? Steel Fiber/Umbral Fiber and armored agility and that's pretty much it. . The trick is to ramp rubble up and keep it there. As for damage, let me put it this way, Landslide is absolutely devastating if you mod your melee weapon correct. The uppercut ragdoll is also not bad in terms for crowd control when you just punch that mean big baddie that could otherwise really damage the group. Also Petrify.

What however definitely NEEDS a bit more juice are his rumblers. They do fine in level 40 regions of gameplay but you'll see them really being perhaps a minor distraction to enemies in sorties.  And the augment is sadly, just a wasted mod slot. The percentages are just not cutting it for having only one rumbler even.

I agree that his rumblers need some serious help but as far as his passive goes all it does is turn his play style into spam 3 and try and kill them. If you ever run out of energy or enter a nullifier, at the rate in which the passive drains, it puts you in a sticky wicket. Plus with a lot of enemy’s now being immune to ability’s as well as breaking out of crowd control faster(Jackles, ice myer hyenas, etc.) it turns into spam one as your passive disappears. I would personally like to see atlas have a more...stable...playstyle.

And I don’t understand why they would limit melee playstyle like that, I mean if you can spam 1 your more than likely not gonna melee anyways.

3 minutes ago, (XB1)AMONGTHEWEAK said:

Would be cool if Rumblers were always out until they died from damage related abilities and not be time based. Toggle-able commands like Khoras pet, and if you could mod them like pets and change their colors perhaps. Set them to aggro, defend or attack. Just an idea. Don't know how hard that would be to work around. 

It would be nice but modding then like pets would just take away from Khora, if they can be modded it would more likely be like melee weapons as there survivability is decent enough as it is. 

vor 4 Minuten schrieb (XB1)BoBaBlaxe:

I agree that his rumblers need some serious help but as far as his passive goes all it does is turn his play style into spam 3 and try and kill them. If you ever run out of energy or enter a nullifier, at the rate in which the passive drains, it puts you in a sticky wicket. Plus with a lot of enemy’s now being immune to ability’s as well as breaking out of crowd control faster(Jackles, ice myer hyenas, etc.) it turns into spam one as your passive disappears. I would personally like to see atlas have a more...stable...playstyle.

And I don’t understand why they would limit melee playstyle like that, I mean if you can spam 1 your more than likely not gonna melee anyways.

Completely situational. Nothing goes or wants to go into a nullifier bubble, regardless what frame you play. 

That said, they get acquainted with my guns instead.