Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

open letter to Digital Extremes concerning Night Wave

This is an open letter to Digital Extremes concerning Night Wave 

I think Warframe is a very enjoyable MMO game made with good graphics and a good story.

I particularly enjoyed The Second Dream and the Silver Grove quests, and I also enjoy fishing.

I feel it is better than other looter-shooters because it doesn’t strong-arm players into micro transactions and DLC.

However, the progression system in Night Wave concerns me because it has some addiction and compulsion traps. The fear of missing out, along with time pressure, could be a problem for some people, for example those with demanding jobs or other responsibilities. You have to jump through too many hoops to complete all 30 tiers.

Perhaps Warframe would benefit from a more humane game design, allowing players to pick and choose more and to let them take breaks without feeling pressured into playing in a limited time frame.  

So much of this is wrong that I'm not even gonna bother trying to correct it. Did that already even nightwave first dropped. 

And before OP starts, I have an accelerated 30 hour a week course that has me studying 2-3 hours a day outside of class to keep my grades up, leaving me with about 1-2 hours to play Warframe. I hit rank 30 just fine because the "challenges" aren't that hard and the elite stuff can be ignored. If you're just starting nightwave, then sorry you have to wait until the amor comes back through other means (stated by devs). If you chose to ignore nightwave from the start, then you have no one else to blame but yourself. 

Aside from actually playing the game a few times a week during the season, there are no hoops to jump through.  The challenges (excluding the 60 min/with friends ones) are easy to do, can be overlapped so you are doing more than one at a time, can be done doing almost every other game mode etc.  If players missed a month or more (as I did) perhaps it requires that player to do EVERY challenge - but guess what - I CHOSE NOT TO PLAY FOR 3 MONTHS and missed out 

As for addicition and compulsion traps - welcome to video games.   The same BS argument could be made for:

• the number of warframes, mods, skins, weapons, achievements, codex entries requiring players grind too much because they have a sick compulsion to get every frame, mod, codex scan, whatever.
  • the player rank system 
  • the syndicate systems

and a host of other things.