Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I miss Volt's OG #4 VFX

I don't know when it happened, but back in the day Volt had a minor visual effect on his "Discharge" (back when it was called Overload). If you were in a tile, and you hit your 4, you'd send out a giant shockwave like you do now. But it also caused some/most/all of the lights in the nearby area of Volt to pop as he surged power through the area, causing them to explode in a shower of particles and what not.

I remember this because I remember playing Hydron back in the day when you'd hit 4 and end up with a Cryopod in darkness instead of all lit up.

You can actually see it on the original Volt Profile trailer video. Let me time-stamp link it here:

Why did this get changed? Did the Corpus make surge-protected light sockets? Did Nef invest his Bursa money into light bulbs that were impervious to EMP blasts? Did the Grineer decide replacing lightbulbs wasn't worth making a whole vat of tubemen just to do the job so bought Nef's super-light bulbs instead? Inquiring veterans want to know!

Also, I miss mission dioramas on loading into a level as well. But that's a different kettle of norg to fry.

• Like 1

Unrelated but God, I love the old Lotus voice filter.

On topic, I thought it use to interact with environment(back when it was Overload) so if I wasn't wrong, VFX probably got remove it was reworked.

Also, some Mirage and Gara may have something to say about you taking away their light source.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, (PS4)OriginalEquinox said:

That looks awesome to see with the game's current visual and particle effects, maybe it was affecting potatoes or something who knows

Yeah, I can only guess that it had something to do with visual performance. Maybe it just wasn't worth coding EVERY single light on the theory that one frame's 4th ability would be used at some point and cause lights to shatter. I just wish there was some specifics on why from the Dev team. I could only imagine what LUDICROUS particles + old 4th ability VFX would look like. Probably a shower of electricity from every outlet.

It's just something I miss is all, because sometimes dark maps are cool.

21 minutes ago, AhLiu338 said:

Unrelated but God, I love the old Lotus voice filter.

On topic, I thought it use to interact with environment(back when it was Overload) so if I wasn't wrong, VFX probably got remove it was reworked.

Also, some Mirage and Gara may have something to say about you taking away their light source. 

Looking back at some of the profile videos, you can hear those old Lotus voice filters, but also you can see how much darker the game was back then verses now. If you look at this Banshee video, I see several locations that I know are fairly well lit now but are pretty dark originally. It was a really cool look. Here's the vid:

• 2 weeks later...
On 2019-05-07 at 4:10 PM, Salenstormwing said:

causing them to explode in a shower of particles

Destroyed lights also zapped enemies, adding extra damage to Overload.  Once.    It was bothersome for lighting team tho.  Had to light with Overload in mind....to much work for just one ability, i guess.

But yeah, blackout sure was cool.    Made everything darker and more ninja.    And not quite suitable for Mirage coz she needs light for damage. Gara would suffer a bit too....

Still, i prefer when certain frames are a bit incompatible like that.  Adds "soul" to the game.

Edited by Kainosh
  • Like 1

On 2019-05-17 at 8:10 PM, Kainosh said:

Destroyed lights also zapped enemies, adding extra damage to Overload.  Once.    It was bothersome for lighting team tho.  Had to light with Overload in mind....to much work for just one ability, i guess. 

But yeah, blackout sure was cool.    Made everything darker and more ninja.    And not quite suitable for Mirage coz she needs light for damage. Gara would suffer a bit too.... 

Still, i prefer when certain frames are a bit incompatible like that.  Adds "soul" to the game.

What's the opposite of Synergy? Because that's the word you're looking for. But yes, I know it effected how others were damaged because it's now just a wave, but I loved the effect that your power DID effect the surrounding environment as well. It made your frame SEEM powerful. Yes, your frame MIGHT be very powerful indeed, but just the fact that you got a shower of sparks and burned out lights left in your wake just made you feel like your Volt was a walking electrical storm. No household appliances were safe from you frying things!

That's what I thought was cool, in that I just want those visual effects back because the visuals were the best part. It's like if they did the same for Gara or Hydroid, I'd want their powers to leave stuff covered in molton glass or wet from water. Just imagine hearing your feet tapping against the wet deck floor where a puddle of water slowly dries away, or the crunch of glass against your heel from where a bit of excess molten has become a crunchy bit of debris underfoot.

On 2019-05-17 at 6:00 PM, Furesis said:

god damn.. why did i just feel nostalgic? warframe sure is different now 

Yes, yes it is. It's not a bad different, but there are some things I do miss fondly; like Pre-Loading Mission Scenics where you'd see your Warframe posed in part of a scene with your fellow tennos' Warframes.

• Like 1