Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Element: Gravity?

Kryogeneva

PLEASE BE GENTLE

So I know this has been proposed before. Who doesn't like the concept of gravity manipulation? But I may as well throw my idea out into the waters of the [DE]Piranha river.

Vauban manipulates gravity or space, so why not a new element?

MECHANICS

Instead of traditional elements where 1 proc = 1 effect, this might have a build-up - 10 procs = 1 effect.

On proc: any number of features, perhaps augmented by paired elements:

-Base(no pairing): blackhole temporarily opens and violently drags enemies in

-Fire: gravity rupture causes a violent spacial rift to jettison outward, knocking down and setting the area on fire for several seconds (due to the extreme heat generated as space rushes back into the space - much like lightning).

-Ice: space expands rapidly, creating a massive vacuum that by the nature of vacuums causes molecules to seek equillibrium, rapidly freezing the enemy in place

Alternate: rapidly slowly enemies in a equinox-nightform-esque manner: center more slowed until virtually unaffected at max radius.

-toxin: micropockets of space expand and contract within the enemy unit, causing cells to rupture. Bleed(maybe tied to slash)proc and reduced movement/aim for enemy/enemies.

-electricity: the enemy becomes a spacial conduit - nearby enemies suffer a percentage of the hosts received damage as electricity.

I JUST WANT SOMETHING NEW

Feel free to pick away at these ideas - the more input the merrier! I just want old systems to be revisited, and the elemental combo system is as old as it gets.

I'd like to see your "Gravity" combine with Slash, Puncture, or Impact like elements combine instead of just adding another to the pre-set elemental matrix. Maybe Grav-Slash combos grant a temporary damage multiplier to NON-Crits, Grav-Puncture lets you teleport longer distances in place of a standard bullet jump for a few seconds, and Grav-Impact could slow enemies and float for a few seconds on a proc.

You know, gravity causes temporal dilation. I know we have slow effects and speed effects in the game, but warping the fabric of time and space could be so much more than some base element effects. Try a warframe concept. Feel free to draw ideas or anything from the one I worked up last year.

Here’s the easy formula to apply.

Except for “in space,” the “gravity” in, on and around any and every environment is the same.

1-G

It doesn’t matter if you’re in an asteroid that is in an asteroid field which can not possibly exist in the Solar System,

or on Sedna, from where you probably couldn’t even see the sun.

It’s always 

1-G

NOW.  All the proc calculations, labels on mods, theories of how gravity might effect the lineal or linearity of temporal events or relative perception of them, the “physics” of the Origin System are the same on everything, everywhere,

1-G

So. How can that be?

Simple.

Nothing in the Origin System is large enough to generate a gravitational field.

Conceptually, it is a simplified, micro-scaled [toy] model of the Solar System.

It’s like a diorama hanging above your bed before you go to sleep at night.

All the heavenly bodies are dangling in 

1-G

THAT is something which just can not be changed.

Because unlike the Solar System, GRAVITY is a universal constant THROUGHOUT the ORIGIN SYSTEM.

Now of course, anybody who is good at writing the code for gaming software knows just how easy it really is to apply different measures of gravitational force to different environments to match the way they would be in the “real” Solar System.

Which is probably why players think that it should be just as easy to write the code that will enable any player to further manipulate the gravity of an environment.

Because, hey, gravity is just an element, like fire, electricity, magnets and stuff ... right?

Well, it’s Fun To Imagine (at least).